Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys i have a couple quick questions... when is it ok to start running synthetic oil in the xb.... i have heard alot of differ mile markers....

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
i work for the walmart oil change place, so heres my take on it and when we recommend. it works out better since most owners get first 3 oil changes free, because we usually say between 10-15000 miles is a good time to change if you want to. i personally, dont think i would run a full synthetic in an xb. its going to be a waste of money probably to run a full synthetic, since a higher grade convential or synethic blend will be just as good. if i were you, i would suggest doing Valvoline convential motor oil, or a synthetic blend like Castrol Syntec Blend. just remember the worst thing you can do is change brands throughout the engine life repeatedly. thats pretty much all we recommend, is that you stick with a brand, stay with it, and get it done at regular intervals. we have vehicles rolling into the shop ALL day with 200000 miles on them and nothing but convential motor oil their whole life. i honestly wouldnt waste my money on a full synthetic in one . just my .02 on it.

scotty

·
Registered
112 Posts
go with royal purple they have shown power increses by switching to royal purple. these are dyno proven

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I run Mobile One, for a couple of reasons.

I drive less than a Qtr mile to work. I make the drive 4 times a day.
I have less than 13k miles and It will be two yrs old in December.
Takes me about 9 months to put 3k miles on it.
Driving so little that most the time the engine doesn't even get warm before I get out. Takes me 2 minutes to get to work.
I get between 24-27mpg, lowest was 21.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Don't waste your money on a so called "blend". There's no way to tell how much of it is conventional oil and how much is synthetic oil. I currently have three different synthetic brands in three different cars. Mobil 1 5W-30 in my xB. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 in our tC. And German Castrol Syntec 5W-30 in my sons Honda Civic. Next oil change both the tC and the Civic will go back to my favorite Mobil 1 . Toyota engines absolutely love this stuff. Also it's important to remember that Toyota put some engines in the past that were sludge monsters, another reason to go with M 1.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
What do you mean theres no way to tell? You may not be able to tell as a lehman what the EXACT ratio is, but when you pour out a bottle of convential vs. blend, youll notice it.

Mobil one is the second best full synthetic IMHO, just behind Syntec from Castrol. The whole Synetc blend is superior IMHO. Also, Penzoil sucks ass. Its a mistake and would never use it.

Scotty

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
What are you talkin about dude?

I guarantee you, if you pour a bottle of synethetic blend next to a bottle of convential, youll see how much smoother one flows out and so much quicker. If not, just try it some time if you dont believe me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
There's no conventional or blend in my garage. And I wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars on either one. Also I don't think at my age(48) I can be taught anything from someone who changes oil at Wallyworld. Sorry Dude.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Say what you can then. Im pre-law and going to college with Walmart as a summer job. Im on a fullride scholarship for college because of academics and have bigger plans than Walmart. Thanks for your insight though and you're lack of an open mind on the situation. Have you ever been to Scionlife?

Scotty

·
Registered
490 Posts
Of course, but what does SL have to do with anything?. It has nothing to do with an open mind. Why would anyone want to put an inferior product in an engine? Gald you have bigger plans, but talk is cheap.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
You seem testy and are closeminded so I thought you might be a fan of SL. Think what you want man, its all you I guess and you're wasted "hard earned money".

And for your info, anyone that knows me around the midwest knows that when I set my mind to it, it gets done. You can look at my car if you dont believe me on that. THAT wasnt cheap either.

SCotty

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm out man. I have a sick kid on the couch. He just finished his second year at the University of Oregon. Blah, blah, blah. Keep selling those fools cheap oil.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
My opinion: Switch to MOBIL1 between 5K to 10K miles. Keeps engine clean (internally), seals will last longer as they will stay soft, no sludge, lubricates better, more advanced oil from any point. Change oil every 6K or so, use a good filter (Toyota, Bosch, Mobil1).
I've worked in the auto industry for more than 10 years, have build engines, and thats how i do my own cars.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Also, if your f/i the synthetic will probably be better for you. I personally use Mobil 1...actually it's the first time in my life that I've used synthetic, it's funny, I use synthetic for this small little engine but did not when I had a bmw 850 with its v12.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi guys. This topic always seems to be one where you can never convince everybody. I have spent a lot of hours reading much about the different oils and I am now convinced that AmsOil is the best. Here is a link to an article I read several years ago. The article has been coppied and pasted on an Amsoil site sometime after I read the original article. I saved the original in my favorites but the site is no longer there so this will have to do. The information is a few years old so the specs may have changed some.
http://mcgeerf.tripod.com/americansyntheticoil/id17.html

I started using Klotz synthetic oil about 1975 in my 1975 Honda motorcycle a 4 stroke. Klotz had been around a long time then and was developed I think during the 2nd world war. Later I started using Mobil 1 in my 1984 Ford F150. Back then Mobil oil company recommended waiting until you had 3K miles on your engine. I changed to Mobil 1 at 3K miles and changed the oil every 15K miles with a new filter half way between changes. The engine didn't really start to run well until I hit 30K miles. I understand that Mobil 1 has since changed their formula so this may no longer be true. About 4 years ago I started using Red Line synthetic oil in my 1987 MR2. Of these the only one I did not like was the Klotz.

All my research has convinced me to now use Amsoil. No, I am not a dealer but I will become one in the future. For the average guy I would recommend using Mobil 1 simply because it is available at Walmart for not a lot of money and it does work well. The Red Line is very expensive compaired to Mobil 1 and hard to find. I don't think it works any better than Mobil 1.

As for using plain everyday motor oil, well it works. Use a good brand and change it regularly. I would use Mobil, Valvoline, Texaco, Exxon, and Shell, not in any order. I would not use Castrol or Penns Oil.

Why use synthetic, because it has been proven to be better at protecting your engine. This is especially true in very cold or hot climates. A second reason for using it would be the slight better gas mileage and longer change intervals. As far as when you should change over to a synthetic, check with the manufacture of the oil. I believe some cars come from the manufacturs with a synthetic oil already in the engine, not positive though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I thought the Scions came off the lot using synthetic(the xa and xb at least) I also thought that 5-30, was a synthetic blend as it is. I know my mothers Element takes synthetic and nothing else :confused: Hmmmmmmmmm.

20-40 ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
OK ...let me add some fuel to the fire.

Why I dont use syn: The synthetic base stock does hold up longer than petroleum-based oils, but the additives in both wear out at the same rate. The oil companies have tested their synthetics for longevity, but they still recommend following the specific owners manual for oil change intervals. If you still need to change out every 3500-4K miles, while put in oil that is 5 times as expensive? Even dino oil is still very much "active" after 4K.

Another reason I am not a fan of syns is because people tend to leave them in longer than 5K. Regardless of oil type or filter, the oil still holds onto harmful acids that result from combustion. A filter will not get the acids out of the oil. These acids (and other nasties) are held in suspension in the engine oil, and the only way to get rid of them is to change your oil.

Besides, when was the last time you have heard of a synthetic 'anything' being better than the non-syn version?

My OCI= Castrol Dino oil, 5w30 or 5w20 (winter) w/ factory filter every 2K-2.5K miles.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.