Scion xB Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Poly bushings supposedly make a fairly significant increase in handling response, even with stock swaybars.

Did you hit that rusted nut with some PB blaster?

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
Car jerks from left to right mostly at highway speeds with steering wheel close to center, It feels like it re adjusts... example, if I turn slightly left, it will jerk slightly left as if re-adjusting and it doesn't do it again until I turn slightly right, then it jerks when it re-adjusts right. It used to do it with more severe turns and slowly but surely it got to the point where it does it with any unevenness of the road and with the slightest of turns... as in changing lanes.
Does the steering wheel always return to the same centered position after turns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
it does. the best way I can describe it is the steering being incredibly loose at only one point both left and right. think of driving on the freeway and you are approaching a turn, you start turning and at a specific point as the turn becomes tighter your steering becomes completely loose for a quarter of a second, and then everything is fine, then you approach a turn to the opposite side, and the same happens. Also, the severity of the turn that is needed to show that behavior has progressibly become less and less, to the point where driving in a straight line at highway speeds is a huge task especially with uneven roads and now turns aren't really a problem because the car has already shifted either way at the beginning of a turn and it won't shift the other way until I start turning in the opposite direction.it also tracks worse than any other car I've ever driven on any kind of uneven road.

Thanks in advance.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
I'd say check the steering column, rack and pinion for wear/loose mounting, inner and outer tie rods, control arm bushings and ball joints: all standard stuff for any car. If there are any problems with chassis not being straight- it should show up during alignment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks I'll definitely do that. Long weekend ahead of me I guess. Really appreciate everyone's help and will keep posted. I've read of similar issues on other cars and nobody ends up saying what the solution was they just stop posting.

I am looking forward to the energy link end mod. that's one good thing that's gonna come out of this crap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I found the culprit, what do you guys think? I know a little separation is normal but this was way more than my driver's side. I've been reading that I might have to replace the whole control arm. Anybody know of an inexpensive place to get the A frame with the ball joint of course?

Attachments

·
4 Time Scion Owner
9,475 Posts
Stock is weak. Even if you don't fix your problem replacing them, you'll at least get a cheap and easy mod accomplished :D

But judging by that photo, you're links are on the way out. You may also have some alignment issues, but the links are a cheaper start to solving the issue. Start with the links, if it still tracks wrong, take it to an alignment shop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks a lot. couldn't get to it over the weekend because I didn't have the right ramps. What do you think about that lower balljoint picture, the latest one?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will, thanks. I had a problem before with that same ball joint, it used to clunk alot, and the mechanic mentioned that the metal, around the ball joint was loose, so he hammered the metal around it (the socket that is part of the lower control arm) 'till it fit tighter. Clunking went away, drove like a dream and then a few months later the symptoms that I described started showing up without the previous clunking. I felt funny about the lower control arm ever since then, and the strength of stamped metal after it has been reshaped with a hammer, and now that this is happening I decided to order a new one. It should be here this week, but not before a 1200 mile road trip that I am now going to take on my Mercedes ML320 because of this crap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got it! Sure enough it was my lower control arm/ ball joint the ball joint was way loose in there because the metal around it was very very loose. Replaced the control arm and ball joint and now it rides beautifully. While I was at it I went ahead and did the energy bushing mod.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have already replaced my end links see pic. anyone change the bushings on the sway bar. I am attempting to change mine. I have the tires off but the bolts are difficult to reach.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts