Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the site and just got my xb last week. I am wondering what engine swaps are possible? Would the new 2nd gen motor fit in the 1st gen xb? I was looking around and i heard of a couple people putting the Celica gts motor in the 1st gen. that would be crazy putting 170 hp in the box.

·
RS4.0 #1526
193 Posts
Probably better off just dropping in a Turbo or Supercharger setup. I helped swap a 2.0 liter turbo WRX engine into a 1.8 Impreza like 7-8 years ago and it was not a whole lotta fun. Plus when I just look in the engine bay of my Xb I think good lord how the hell do people even work on these cars.

Would love to see pics of it though ;)

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I'm followin' ya! Pics!!

BTW, good luck fitting that dumpy 2.4 in there. I'm sure it could be done... But eh....Why didn't you just get an xB2 then, if you wanted the 2.4?

I've heared of 1.8 celica motor swaps, maybe the new 1.8 in the xD might be able to fit....At least better than that 2.4

Anyways, go with DoubleC - throw a turbo or s/c on there. Do plenty of reviewing before you decide on a kit though. I personally wanna pick up the blitz s/c kit. but that's just me.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
PICS!

ZPI makes a turbo kit that claims double HP but the fine print is 10% life expectancy. the xb2k v2.0 or whatever the hell that tank thing is has a different chassis and is a little bigger to accomidate the bigger motor. thus leaving the 2.4 swap questionable into the ever so classy and good looking xB.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Could we see some pics, please citizen. It is our request.

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
It is the tc motor you have to make new engine mount structure to do it. Then you have to make sure it is all straight and get custom axles and more..... you probably could buy the xb2 and keep your xb for the total amount of money you would spend to put the 2.4 into your original xb.

Unless you get the tc drivetrain for neext to nothing and can do all of the work yourself to mock up the drivetrain in your engine bay. Then there is the little bit of wiring (HUGE AMOUNTS) to put the tc computer into your car. You would also be better off to use the tc column then you could change over also to the tc headlight and tailight harness (probably need the tail harness anyway to go with the tc computer) and the tc dash harness. You may be able to cheat on this one if you wire in your own temp, oil, water, and amp gauges. Then you would not have to see the idiot lights. Oh and the little thing of airbags........

I guess you would be better off splicing everything or running both harnesses.

I think you see what I mean about how with materials, labor and your time with out the car you are better off buying the xb2 as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew that it would be a lot of work, i am not trying to build a house in a day or anything. just wondering what others had done or what they were wanting to do . there was no need to try to make me look like a idiot. putting time in is part of the fun of making a car your own. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
You might want to consider swapping just the bottom end from a prius motor (1nz-fxe). They are supposed to bolt right up and increase your compresion to about 12.5:1.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
You would need pistons too with that kind of compression.

·
Hmmmmm
3,145 Posts
ZPI does tc engine swaps into the 1st gen xb. i know a guy in san antonio that has the tc engine in his xb and that ****** is fast as ****. and hes gonna drop a zpi turbo onto it.
id like to see that...300 potential HP on a street box...nice

·
Registered
154 Posts
I too have thought about possibly swapping out my 06 engine for the 08 xb engine, but after speaking with a lot of people it seems that it would cost less to get a TC engine in there. who knew?

·
Registered
12 Posts
theres another on ScionLife.com whos doing the tC swap. not much updates on it yet and just pictures of the engine on the cherry huvering in the xB engin bay.

so SkizoACE, the tC swap is actualy possible? and you've actualy seen this in person? if thats true, possibly pictures? once i see it, and i mean really see it, i'll send my box out to ZPI and have them do the swap or have them send me everything i need to do it and my boys and i will do it our selfs. swaping the engine alone would be just about the same as a good 8psi or so on the stock block, imagening the tC block PLUS say Why Industeries Stage 3GT system... oh d*mn!...

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
First not intending to make you look like an idiot just pointing things out to think about.

Yes the swap can be done it just takes money and as for the ZPI swap I would be leary of it. They do not have the best durability track records yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First not intending to make you look like an idiot just pointing things out to think about.

Yes the swap can be done it just takes money and as for the ZPI swap I would be leary of it. They do not have the best durability track records yet.
i've never heard/read about it ever being done, only read about atempts that are still in process and havn't many updates. i was thinking about contacting World One Performance in my area, which is probably Washington state's number one place to go to, and talk to them about doing the swap. though i'm not sure they would do it. they do motor swaps for 240's and WRX and whatnot all the time but puting the 2AZ-FE in an xB i'm iffy about asking them in pre-judgement that i'll get a "no".

sure would be nice though, 2AZ-FE with a nice fatty GT35 turbo in a freakin box. thats something to see alright...

·
Premium Member
4,884 Posts
I have a crappy photo of what needs to be done to fit these motors in the xb (somewhere). It can all be done, if you are the first to do it you need a lot of planning to make it work. It is not as straightforward as one may think. I want to get a damaged xb and put the new rav4 drivetrain in it. An all wheel drive xb with 260 hp stock.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
i've seen a 5.0 engine in a 2000 ford focus hatch, with enough money anything is possible! but $$$$$$$$$$ is needed and lots of it!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.