Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob at this.. and i'm planning on buying a new 2006 XB soon.. hopefully in a few months.. I know that you can't really get a lot of horsepower out of the exhaust, headers, and intake.. so i'm leaning over to starting my XB off with some REAL power.

Which would be easier to install? Supercharger or Turbo?

What's cheaper? Suggestions on brand on either?

Would it be easy to make the Turbo or Supercharger the first mod on the XB?

Thanks a lot,

xfLiPm0d3x

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I would go w/ the GReddy Supercharger.

Turbos require tuning and maintenance, more so than a Supercharger.

And cheaper is not always better, and vice versa.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So lets say i do purchase the GReddy Supercharger..

Would an AEM CAI intake & DC Headers interfere with the installation of the GReddy Supercharger.. as in if i purchased the intake and headers first would i need to get rid of them when i install the charger?

oh ya and another thing.. i'm most likely going to purchase an automatic.. would that greddy supercharger work with it?

Sorry for being a no0b!
xfLipm0d3x

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
xfLipm0d3x said:
So lets say i do purchase the GReddy Supercharger..

Would an AEM CAI intake & DC Headers interfere with the installation of the GReddy Supercharger.. as in if i purchased the intake and headers first would i need to get rid of them when i install the charger?

Sorry for being a no0b!
xfLipm0d3x
No. The ones I have seen installed retained the header, and were using short ram intakes.

No apology needed, and no need to say you're a noob. We all got started somewhere. Some just got started before others.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Personally adding a turbo or supercharge to an XB would be a waste of money becasue your not going to get a whole lot of horsepower anyway. The car is a box, not to much arrow dynamics. When I first got my box I wanted a supercharger but came to these realizations and decided to spend my money on Air suspension so I can cruise low and slow in my box. I guess its just personal preference.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Personally adding a turbo or supercharge to an XB would be a waste of money becasue your not going to get a whole lot of horsepower anyway. The car is a box, not to much arrow dynamics. When I first got my box I wanted a supercharger but came to these realizations and decided to spend my money on Air suspension so I can cruise low and slow in my box. I guess its just personal preference.
06 Lambo Murcielago: 6.3 lb/hp
06 WRX STI: 11.2 lb/hp
06 Lancer Evo: 11.3 lb/hp
06 Accord v6 coupe: 13.5 lb/hp
06 WRX: 13.9 lb/hp
06 Civic Si: 14.6 lb/hp
06 Chevy Cobalt supercharged: 14.6 lb/hp
06 Nissan Sentra SE-R V: 15.5 lb/hp
My xB (turbo @ 146hp): approx 16.5 lb/hp
06 VW GTI: 16.5 lb/hp
06 Cadillac Escalade: 16.7 lb/hp
06 PT Cruiser GT (turbo): 16.7 lb/hp
06 Mazda 3 S hatch: 17.7 lb/hp
06 Scion tC: 18.2lb/hp
06 Civic coupe: 18.3 lb/hp
06 Saturn Ion Red Line: 18.3 lb/hp
06 Mini Cooper S: 20.8 lb/hp
06 xB: 23.3 lb/hp

I had some extra time on my hands. :D

I do realize that lb/hp doesn't tell the whole story, you have to take into account the gearing, weight of the driver, etc. and btw, aerodynamics has little effect when going 0-60, I'm not saying it has none, but it doesn't have as much as you emphasize (I can say this thanks to my B.S. in Aeronautical engineering). But anyway, you can see that my box has pretty decent lb/hp compared to other cars, plus with what I've done so far, my car is only $14,000. If you want better acceleration especially when merging onto fast traffic with those very short on ramps or if you want to surprise one of those modified civics, then go for it. It's fun to see the expression on people's faces who think you've got a stock engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a buddy with an auto and a Blitz, and it's almost like a normal car now. These cars are dog slow even with every bolt-on you can pack onto it...the blower makes this car more practical.

The only reliability issues I've seen are with belt wear. The jap version Blitz has a idler pully for tension, US version does not. I'm working on a idler for my blower now...I have either belt slippage or a frayed belt using the stock Toyota tension method. I thought everbody used serpentine belts, but this motor has the old fashioned (read "old tech") put a pry bar on the head and hope for the best.

I havn't seen the Greddy unit, but from the info I have it looks like a pretty good package for the price.

Everybody agrees that the blower is the easiest install, but keep in mind it would take the average fella 10-15 hours to complete the job. My friend with the auto payed a local shop to install his. Ours took about 8 hours, but we work on cars alot.

If you just want to have some fun for a very little amount of money I'd say try nitrous oxide...it's cheap to get into, will surpass any gains a turbo or blower would net, and looks cool at the car shows...plus everyone will think you're crazy because of all the movie/FATF propaganda. A high quality system will cost less than 1/3 of a blower, kick a$$ at the track or stoplight, and most importantly will retain your normal every-day reliability and fuel economy (my wifes blower car gets around 24mpg on the highway now).

My name's Shawn, BTW...I'm new here. Howdy fellas.:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
hotbox05 said:
my xb is 15.8 n/a with full interior. it's not fast but it's much faster than dog slow.

Didn't mean to offend...

15.8 in a N/A xB is truely amazing. I'd like to have your secret. What were your 60' times? Trap speed?

You would have been a sure thing for the prize at the last Scion drag night SuperFa sponsored here in Orlando.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
15.8 is nothing to me. not that I particularly drag fast cars but i've driven many a faster car.

I don't even remember my times it was a long while ago. i'll be going again soon. before the s/c and as soon as the s/c is legal again.

aem aftermarket intake
megan racing header
2.0 inch cat back
iridiums
perrin lightweight pulley
weapon r engine damper.

I live 5 minutes from the local track so i'll be again and scan timesheets too.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I still am confused as to what you mean by 15.8. Because it couldn't be the lb/hp ratio which is the total weight divided by the hp, in my list above if I'm at 16.5 with a turbocharged engine an n/a engine is not going to match that insofar as lb/hp. You're probably talking about your track time right?

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
SuperFa said:
Didn't mean to offend...

15.8 in a N/A xB is truely amazing. I'd like to have your secret. What were your 60' times? Trap speed?

You would have been a sure thing for the prize at the last Scion drag night SuperFa sponsored here in Orlando.
The following was taken from:
http://www.dragtimes.com/Scion--xB-Drag-Racing.html

The first one did have NOS.

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
supposedly a turbo xb is running 14.2 completely gutted interior and regeared. i doubt it . mid 14's yea , 14.2 not so much.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.