Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my brand new XB back in 2006, I thought it would be cool to get a sunroof. HUGE mistake. It was a pain in the butt right off. When it was open, it made so much noise (while driving of course lol) and then I think it must have let rain into the electrical system bc I started having issues with the door locks clicking when I tried to lock them with the fob. ANYHOO... I want to get the sunroof removed or sealed or something like that. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I think the brand was Westabo or something like that, no longer in business. Someone told me you could just buy caulk at Home Depot and DIY...but yikes!
Thanks for any help, guys. I'm still loving my box...after all these years. I am now at 104,000 miles. No issues (although I had that crazy squealing sound but got my air conditioning compressor replace and that went away, phew!)
Thanks again for any advise on after market sunroof demolition! :)

·
Registered
2006 Scion xB Automatic
85 Posts
Oh, dang.

Was the huge piece of roof metal saved, by any chance? (I'm assuming not)

I'd say weld/seal a piece of 1/16" sheet metal on top of it with rounded corners to look nice, then cover it with a roof rack to hide the repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, dang.

Was the huge piece of roof metal saved, by any chance? (I'm assuming not)

I'd say weld/seal a piece of 1/16" sheet metal on top of it with rounded corners to look nice, then cover it with a roof rack to hide the repair.
This modification was made by someone hired by the car dealership so they didn't give me any left over metal. lol Yeah, this is way beyond my skill set. So the piece of metal would over lap the edge of the sunroof completely? I like the idea of hiding it with a roof rack. I wonder if a sunroof installer could do it? I cringe when I see people on this forum talk about adding a sunroof. That is my only regret with my XB. Don't try to "gild the lily"!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This modification was made by someone hired by the car dealership so they didn't give me any left over metal. lol Yeah, this is way beyond my skill set. So the piece of metal would over lap the edge of the sunroof completely? I like the idea of hiding it with a roof rack. I wonder if a sunroof installer could do it? I cringe when I see people on this forum talk about adding a sunroof. That is my only regret with my XB. Don't try to "gild the lily"!
This is a great (and funny!) post about why you should never have a sunroof in you car! Love it! https://www.thedrive.com/article/4193/8-reasons-why-you-should-never-get-a-sunroof

1 - 6 of 6 Posts