Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you know, but not many, that i am in the stage of doing suicide rear doors. after about a month of work on measuring and planing i started last friday. within 2 working days (8 hours each) i have welded in the pass side hinges into the 1/4 panel. with that done i have been testing the hinges and they are doing great so far(very strong) here are the products and prices i have gotten so far. i went with the suicidedoors.com hinges that have self lubing bushings and are like a half inch thick(about 400 for that and bear claw latches)next is metal, so far i have not used much metal. i found that right behind the door sill there are a few braces that i have braced off of(after welding i have stood on hinges) next i am going with auto loc's suicide deadbolt kit. to make sure the doors dont open when they are not activated.(about 100) i also am gonna go with autolocs shaved door kit for popers and what not.(200) i have not found out how much wire and metal i will need for the project so far, but i would think not moer the 50 bucks for wire and 100 for metal at dealer cost. all of this stuff is mig and tig weled together to make sure they are very strong.

so right now my total cost is between 750 and 850.

i am also making a video of one door, to show that i have done all the work and not taking credit for someone elses work.

i have some vidoe of the hinge installed right now but dont have the cables to hook the cam up to the computer(plan on getting the sometime like tomm or weds)

i will keep everyone updated on the project

tegan

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
can't wait to see pics/video!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now i have a door hooked up to the hinges. the door swings a full 90* one thing i see in the project so far is that there is alittle flex in the door. the way i did the 1/4 is really strong, it does not move at all. so tomm i will be welding brace and support in the door and fitting the door. then start with the bear claws and deadbolts,

gonna get the program i need to get the video of my cam one thurs or fri, so i will keep you posted

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Very cool to see the progress.

I honestly would have been tempted to buy two more hinges if that was the kit I was using. Stack them three high on each side. You have a lot of load sitting on those hinges sitting so close together. (Even with the doors being as "light" as they are.)

I'm sure you'll get everything all braced up and working well though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool to see the progress.

I honestly would have been tempted to buy two more hinges if that was the kit I was using. Stack them three high on each side. You have a lot of load sitting on those hinges sitting so close together. (Even with the doors being as "light" as they are.)

I'm sure you'll get everything all braced up and working well though.
yea dude the bracing that is there is crazy, there is not flex AT ALL in the 1/4 area. the only flex i had was in the door(that is why i had to weld in all of those braces in)

thanks dude

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Dude, I'm lovin' it. Keep up the good work, and keep showing us pics!

Too bad we're not close together, I'd hire you out to do mine if I were to do it! LOL.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update,........ pics!!!!!

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
that rules. my favorite mod ever!! cant wait to see the progress.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
new vids coming tonight, i found out the only way for this to latch is to extend the b pilliar outward because the striker would hit the window slide, so i will do some work on getting the vids up soon

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Just a quick question about the video. Is the car parked on an uneven slab? Just asking because of how those rear doors closed up on their own. I know it could be a slab, unadjusted hinges, or incorrectly installed hinges. But judging by the work you had done so far, I had to guess it was the floor.

It's too bad you couldn't get standard door hinges to work. (I know it is a LOT more work.) Then you would have the added benefit of the factory style "stops."

Definitely keep us posted on the updates.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
BTW, James, the guy who did the other suicide xB that was covered on the other site, is in this month's Toyota Today magazine. They interviewed him about the xB2 at some point. There's a pic of him with his car which is pretty nice.

-Alex

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep he is trying to sell it. as for the doors. i think it was the floor and theair ride. when the hinges were welded into the car it was measured at 3 inchs off the ground, and in those vids the car is aired out again. aton i think you have the same air set up i have. the rear sits up like a 1/2-1 inch higher in the rear. so i think that is what it is. cus they are level when up in the air.

still waiting for the video to load

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Very well done so far. I wish I was that talented. In my dreams yes world life no.
Thank's for sharing - can't wait to see the project done.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.