Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Danny
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I pose this dilemma: I have a huge ported box for 2 cheapo 10" subwoofers. I want my trunk back. I want to go with a square sub from Kicker, cause I like the increased surface area (plus it matches my xB shape) However, my dilemma between a 15" sub with 500RMS, 4ohm and matching amp wired in parallel total about $300ish OR 12" 750RMS with matching amp also wired in parallel, totaling about $490.

The 15" has 225 sq. in, and the 12 has 144 sq. in. and my current set up has about 160 sq. in. but only about 350rms. Whatever happens, there is a power boost. The box will be sealed and fiberglass. I don't know which option is better. The larger moves more air, is awesomer, but has less power. The smaller I feel like would sound better (more expensive must mean better quality <this is both serious and sarcastic>), has more power, takes less space but moves less air..

Summary: More surface area or more power?

·
Danny
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For those interested:
Amp: Kenwood KAC 9105D, 900RMS at 2 ohms
Sub: Pioneer TS-W3002D4, Can handle 1000RMS, 12", Dual coil (to be wired in parallel), Good sensitivity, good frequency,

I want to buy from Crutchfield, but SonicElectronix has the sub for less than half the price ($125 vs. $300)

Ported MDF Box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.