Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm tired of my sub box enclosure, it's a bandpass:

it hits really nice inside the car, but since it's a bandpass, it distorts a whole lot and the sound doesn't travel past the interior of the vehicle.

today, w/ the help of a very nice friend, i started building my new box. It's going to be a sealed enclosure. it's taking FOREVER, but we knocked out the skeleton today. I've got my mind made up on everything, except the color i want to paint the box.

Right now it's a toss up between BLACK or WHITE since my xB is a PW and the colors i'm working w/ are black and white.

Lemme know what you all think!:D

oh, by the way, pics will be on their way by monday...

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I now know what you mean by the sound travel.

I just recently put two JL 8w3 in a bandpass box in the back, and it sounded like ish, decent when parked but once you get moving the sound dissapears. My premier 12 under the seat is 200% better. I no longer have the 8's!

You should go with black and match the rear cargo mat.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
You only have tow colors to decide? I say black and white, or grey:D

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Since you're talking about paint I'm assuming that you're building with fiberglass, right?

If that's the case, go with white. Unless you spend the rest of your life sanding that thing 100% perfect the black is going to show flaws like Miss America without her makeup. White will hide any small imperfections.

That's my thoughts.

-Alex

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I'm building it out of MDF. I'm trying to stay away from carpeting the thing. Would you have any suggestions Grizzly?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
How about diamond plating the sucker? Is everything at a right or straight angle?

Actually, do you maybe have a picture or a concept drawing for us to visualize? That would be cool. Then perhaps we can help you to come up with an original idea that will help it stand out at shows!

-Alex

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the whole box is MDF except for the rear facing the back seat which is going to have a single sheet covering of plexi-glass. hope this crude drawing helps since i left the box in irvine:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Cool, that helps me visualize it quite a bit.

Here's my thoughts on the situation. You could paint it either very glossy black or glossy polar white. Either will look pretty good.

However, if you want to stand out a bit you should do something a little out of the ordinary with it. The afore mentioned diamond plate or mirror-polished stainless steel or aluminum would be super sweet. You could make a cardboard template and then have a shop cut you up the piece and use a break to bend the metal so that the front and sides are covered in a single continuous piece. I would suggest using rivits or screws in ADDITION to glue to secure this piece against vibration from the subwoofers.

Yet another option would be to go with fur (real or fake) or even leather. I've seen a couple of really sweet embossed leather-covered boxes recently. Check out a couple of the pictures on this website to get an idea of what I mean: http://stereoschool.com/okc/projectpics.html.

Hopefully that can give you some good ideas and a sweet alternative to carpeting.

-Alex

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

it's still up in the air, about the color, but the fabric/fur approach is looking very appealing. i will have pics once i've finished.

·
Registered
16 Posts
since we are talking about a sub box. Does anyone here know where I buy a nice sub box for xB around the OC?

-Adrian "slowly making mods"

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
release_xb said:
I"m building a new box for 2-2000watt 12" and to cover it I will be using yellow spray on bedliner.

Paul
hmmm never thought about covering it in that. sounds interesting. can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm taking the money from my other box to build this one. Have found someone in Buffalo to do it for $5.00 per foot. I have you on my space yellow sub.

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
release_xb said:
I'm taking the money from my other box to build this one. Have found someone in Buffalo to do it for $5.00 per foot. I have you on my space yellow sub.
yep i have you on my space. let me know when it's done cause i'd love to see it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.