Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
*FireWoman*
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put a sub under the passenger seat, or both front seats. If so, what size subs, and what brand is best? I know nothing about any of that kind of stuff so if you have any good info on making the bass better let me know. and what about just speakers with good bass, is there any such thing?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I think the Elemental Designs enclosure is your best bet now. It really is too bad that Quarter Wave Designs isn't around anymore. They made a very reasonably price underseat enclosure that could fit a pretty wide variety of 10" subs.

I installed one in my wife's xB loaded with an Elemental Designs 11Kv.2 and powered by a NINe.2. That thing absolutely rocks for the price we paid.

If I had to do a new enclosure in the wife's car today, and QWD still wasn't available, I would go with the Elemental Designs enclosure with the SQ10.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Chiguy..the one you have in the back, thats pretty sweet. did you make it or buy it? does it give really good sound?
I bought it, originally it was made by M2 Motoring, it has an Elemental Designs 12" sub in it. It sounds fine, doesn't hit really low, but it also it a small enclosure. I'm sure if I put a different sub in there made for a smaller enclosure, it will hit lower.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I currently am running a 12" Pioneer shallow mount sub under the passenger seat. Its a tight fit for a 12" but it works. The sub is extremely loud, but I can't get a great sound out of it in the box yet. I think thats because I'm still runnin the stock HU. I've got a pioneer 800w mono amp pushing it but all I can hear is the real low frequencies, none of the mid-range bass.
I'll try to post pics of the sub and box later tonight for ya.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Don't mean to TJ....but....

You don't want midrange out of a subwoofer. It's sole dsignation is so you can hear those lower frequencies. Upgrade your midrange speakers, or get baffles, and you'll have better midrange. That is all.

TJ over.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
I have a excellent set of 6 1/2 4ways from pioneer which fill up the mid-range, but I get nothin from the sub untill it hits a very, very low frequency. Its drivin me nuts cause the sub only works on certain songs and the rest of time I can't hear a thing from it. Can't figure out if its the HU, subplug2, or amp thats not setup or working right. When I put it in my bros suv it sounds amazing and hits every bass note, but not in the box.

Sorry for the TJ, but I will post pics of my sub and box for you as soon as I get home Pink.

·
*FireWoman*
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my bf just got a 12' pioneer sub in his dodge two door truck. he has a 900(the power..whatever its call haha) amp, and it sounds great! Where he got it done, the same guy said he'd hook me up with all the same stuff for 330 bucks. i'm not sure how much all that costs or how you price that stuff, but it that a good deal? i wanna make sure its a good deal and i'm not getting ripped off before i invest in it lol

·
3,453 Posts
iron lion scion, you need to check the frequency cutoff on the amp. It's probably set at it's lowest point. I always use a bass cd with a track that fluctuates all the sub frequencies so i can set my knobs correctly. that is probably what you need to do.

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Pink, I got my shallow mount Pioneer sub for around $100 and the 800w mono ch amp for around $100 also. I picked up a subplug2, all the wires, and my brother made the box. I installed everything so I guess it ran me about $250 or so.

Boom, I've played with the frequency knob, but have had no success. Do you think I should try using a crossover w/eq and run that through the rca's before the amp, would that help?

·
Regular abUser
2,945 Posts
Here are some pics, I will try to post the actual finished install asap. By the way I have an 06' model so I think it has just an inch or two more room under the seats than the earlier xB, but I could be wrong. This box layout was just an estimate, but the one in the picture is pretty close to that size.

Sorry about quality used a phone camera for the pics.

Attachments

·
3,453 Posts
ILS :I dunno what else to tell you unless I can see the amp and how you have it setup. Basically you should be able to take the low pass frequency knob and turn it up, thus allowing the subwoofer to move at different frequencies. If that's what you've been messing with, then you should see a difference. If not, the amp could need to be repaired.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I started a thread asking about underseat enclosures. I ended up going with the elemental design and their 10" sub specifically designed for that box. I really wanted a 12" but the tech there talked me out of it. Said there wasn't enough room (actually he explained it in very impressively technical terms) for a 12" to preform properly. I am planning installations this week. Also got a alpine am/fm/xm Head unit, the new alpine pdx digital 600 watt amp, an infinity kappa perfect component system (6 1/2 speakers, separate tweeters) for the front and 2 infinity kappa 3/ways for the back. The reason i didn't put tha sub in the back is cause that's where i'm going to put a alpine 6-disc cd player later. Anyway, i'm pretty excited to see how this comes out. Alpine and infinity, It's gotta be at least...Excellant. I was gonna change my name to "BoomBox" but...that moniker has already been taken (LOL). Hey, Boom, have you ever decided on what date ur comin to Cali.?

·
3,453 Posts
Yeah, we're gonna be there midsummer. I would hope you have your system in by that time. lol. End of June, beginning of July.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Like Iron Lion, I have the premeir 12" shallow sub. I made my own box, and built it to go over the front brace below the seat track release. Building it over the brace got me a little more air space.

Sounds awesome with all music, some notes hit harder than others. DVD sound is superb. I could use more amp, I'm only pushing 200w. The best part is people not knowing where the boom is coming from, and being able to tell them they are sitting on it. LOL

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.