Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kearny Mesa Toyo told me they would not do ANYTHING to my box that involves removing the wheels.

I went in for some warranty work (and was then told they dont do warranty work on the wknds :mad: :mad: ) and figured I would price them for a tire rotation.

The guy told me that, "MOST aftermarket wheels are not balanced correctly and could affect my warranty." WTF. He recommended some $1500 TRD wheels. :eek:

Im rocking some 15" Sportmax. I could kind of (but not really) see it if they were larger than stock in diameter, but they are even wrapped with the OEM wheels!

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
208 Posts
i've never had a problem. i usually pay the extra 20 bucks to have em rotate my tires when they change the oil @ power toyota. i used to have 18" and now i have 17" and they were far from OEM.

i would seriously speak to their SM (Service Manager). better yet, why don't you write a letter. that always works to fix your situation. write the letter to the GM or the owner of the dealership, cuz that is just bullsh*t

·
Registered
176 Posts
sounds like they were just scared they might mess up one of your wheels. changing your wheels matters just as much as changing brands of tires.
once you no longer have the stock part on the car the warranty for that speciffic part is over, not the whole car. the only way they can try that is to prove what you did to your car directly caused other parts to fail. what an idiot that guy must have been. he tried to scare you into buying his wheels so he could make commission off it. write a letter then find another dealer.

·
Registered
949 Posts
AAronInTheBox said:
i've never had a problem. i usually pay the extra 20 bucks to have em rotate my tires when they change the oil @ power toyota. i used to have 18" and now i have 17" and they were far from OEM.

i would seriously speak to their SM (Service Manager). better yet, why don't you write a letter. that always works to fix your situation. write the letter to the GM or the owner of the dealership, cuz that is just bullsh*t

20 dollars wow when i got to the dealership here they will do my wheels for free they say it's part of the maintenance package but i wont let them touch my wheels..

i think they just didn't want to do anything... thats all

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slainte all!

I think I will write a letter and let them know I have decided to take my maintence needs elsewhere because of poor customer service.

I will just rotate them myself, and do a good detail of the wheels and wheel wells.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eyeluvink said:
sounds like they were just scared they might mess up one of your wheels. changing your wheels matters just as much as changing brands of tires.
once you no longer have the stock part on the car the warranty for that speciffic part is over, not the whole car. the only way they can try that is to prove what you did to your car directly caused other parts to fail. what an idiot that guy must have been. he tried to scare you into buying his wheels so he could make commission off it. write a letter then find another dealer.
I dont know what there would be to be afraid of. I was not asking them to pull off the tires, just remove them and move 'em around a bit.

When I washed yesterday, I noticed I have a slight bulge on one of the tires. I will try to get a pic up tomorrow.

The tires only have 6K miles on 'em. Do you think they will try to blame the aftermarket wheels?

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
Sound's kinda hokie to me. But I'm alway's concerned about damage to
my aftermarket add on's -- especially wheels when the dealer or anyone
else for that matter is working on my car. They just don't seem to care
if they damage the finish or something like that. -- Oh they were scratched
before you dropped your car off :eek: Crap - Or that scratch in your paint
was there before ---AHHHH.

Maybe it was a god thing they "didn't" do what you wanted. Ya know

Do yourself a favor -- rotate your own tires -- It's worth it man

Take Care

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
eyeluvink said:

What this guy is explaining is called the Magnusen Moss act. Look it up and it will give you full details as to what its about. Basically though, it says that they have to physically prove that without a ? of a doubt, that they can prove it in writing that an aftermarket part caused damage to an OEM piece on ur vehicle.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Tire rotation here in Houston at Mike Calvert is 15 bux. I have 2 12's in my car at my locks rattle, and so does my back hatch opener and I asked them to stop the rattling and they said its my own fault and that I shouldnt have installed subs. I told the SM and he got is squared away. Now my dash makes a squeaking noise...

·
Registered
103 Posts
heathenbrewing said:

When I washed yesterday, I noticed I have a slight bulge on one of the tires. I will try to get a pic up tomorrow.

The tires only have 6K miles on 'em. Do you think they will try to blame the aftermarket wheels?
Scion doesn't actually warranty the tires the tire manufacturer does. You should be able to go to any Goodyear dealer and have them look at it. Mine has Goodyears on it and I'm assuming yours does to. When I worked at a dealer we dreaded problems with Goodyear tires because they didn't want to warranty anything. If you have a bulge on the side of the tire look carefully around for any other signs of damage. If they can find the slightest blemish they'll say you must have hit a curb and that caused the tire to bulge. At least thats how they are around here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trek777 said:
Scion doesn't actually warranty the tires the tire manufacturer does. You should be able to go to any Goodyear dealer and have them look at it. Mine has Goodyears on it and I'm assuming yours does to. When I worked at a dealer we dreaded problems with Goodyear tires because they didn't want to warranty anything. If you have a bulge on the side of the tire look carefully around for any other signs of damage. If they can find the slightest blemish they'll say you must have hit a curb and that caused the tire to bulge. At least thats how they are around here.
Cheers mate!

I will check for damage before taking it in, but I am very confident that there is not other damage. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I Writ Service For Toyota, We All Know That There Are No Cust Service Survey's On Scion Because It Is Not A Toyota Label Product. That Kinda Makes Me Want To Write Service On Scions Cust Are Always Laid Back And Cool. But If You Want You Can Call 1-800-331-4331 And Toyota Will Contact That Dealer About Your Complaint. You Will Probably Have A Manager Call You Very Soon And At Least Appologize

·
Registered
827 Posts
SkizoACE said:
Never had that problem when I had my Lexus...

I would hope not lol. Lexus cars are better, but alot more money. The thing is, as nice as scions are, you have to remember it is still a $14,000 car, and not really designed for subs. Youre gonna have rattles and squeaks, just the price of running subs in an economy car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i got two 12" subs in the back off my box that pound all day and all night, the only thing that rattles in my car is my head. my rear plate used to vibrate and rattle real bad until it fell off... j/k. i put some rubber matting behind the plate and the rattle is all gone.

just because you spent $15K on a car and not $60K doesn't mean you should suck it up and live with the little problems that arise. they sold it at that price and they sold it with a warranty. Toyota is okay with paying claims for legit problems. every region has a warranty rep. so if need be take it up with them. be persistant and take plenty of notes. not only about the problem, but about who, what, and when you talked to people.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I just know that when I had a system (years ago) it was always an ongoing problem chasing rattles and squeaks. A lexus has more sound deadning material in it, so it will do better at keeping the resonance down that a box.

·
Registered
223 Posts
eyeluvink said:
i got two 12" subs in the back off my box that pound all day and all night, the only thing that rattles in my car is my head. my rear plate used to vibrate and rattle real bad until it fell off... j/k. i put some rubber matting behind the plate and the rattle is all gone.

just because you spent $15K on a car and not $60K doesn't mean you should suck it up and live with the little problems that arise. they sold it at that price and they sold it with a warranty. Toyota is okay with paying claims for legit problems. every region has a warranty rep. so if need be take it up with them. be persistant and take plenty of notes. not only about the problem, but about who, what, and when you talked to people.
I understand. I actually talked to the service manager yesterday and I stopped by and he fixed all the problems free of charge. He also threw in some Permafrost for free. He recommended E-Dead or Dynamat.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts