Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I’m having the hardest time removing both control arms from my ‘06 xB. Both bolts are stuck in the bushings. I actually cut off the right arm from the end (see picture) but there is no way I have enough space to wedge a Sawzall blade in between. Not sure what to do. I’ve been searching YouTube endlessly but no luck so far.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
244 Posts
So that hex head at right needs to come out? It looks like there's enough of a gap that perhaps a claw hammer or pry bar could fit in there and give you some leverage to get it out...?

And/or maybe heat? (Small propane torch, for example)

Are those bushings being replaced, hopefully?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Please help! I’m having the hardest time removing both control arms from my ‘06 xB. Both bolts are stuck in the bushings. I actually cut off the right arm from the end (see picture) but there is no way I have enough space to wedge a Sawzall blade in between. Not sure what to do. I’ve been searching YouTube endlessly but no luck so far. View attachment 80552
On top of the good advice jawhnn gave, don't forget WD40

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
244 Posts
Absolute worst case scenario you could use vice-grips or drill a hole through the bolt and then use bicycle brake cable or a similar material to pull it out, but then you'll have to replace that bolt. Not sure if it's grade 8 or what kind of material it's made from, but you'd want to match it with an identical replacement for sure.

I'm still liking the idea of a propane torch, though. Lightly at first to loosen up the bushing, or completely melting it if need be, although cleaning that up would not be fun at all.

·
Registered
05 silver stick
178 Posts
Common problem
I ended up throwing away my cradle
And finding another as when I took that same bolt out it took the threads out with it!
And the bolt wouldn't tighten back up
Used cradle from a 78k wreck and New oem arms

Put it together with anti seize
So I hope it won't happen again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts