Scion xB Forum banner

Strut Replacement with Eibach Lowering Springs

3K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Lisabrat 
#1 ·
Hi there. I’m new to this group and hope someone can provide any suggestions. I couldn’t find answers to my exact issue.

i have a 2006 xb with Eibach lowering springs. I need to replace the struts. I want to know do I absolutely need spring compressors for lowering springs or is one only really needed for stock height springs? Is there a safe way to remove the struts without a projectile of the strut happening? Lol. I’m hoping I don’t need a spring compressor.
Tya
Lisa
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

See less See more
#2 ·
A compressor is highly recommended for safety reasons with either stock springs or lowering springs, particularly if performing the work by yourself. A tool set can cost as low as $32 for use with the small springs on the Gen1 xB. Many automotive parts stores will have the spring compressors in their tool loan program.
Removing the xB's rear springs do not require use of the tool; only the front springs need compressing to take apart the strut assembly. There are some postings on this website which have step-by-step instructions on the procedure.

#4 ·
Thank you. To replace the struts and shocks I was quoted almost $2K. So because of that I’m going to do my own work. Yep be already purchased the shocks and struts along with the mounts and strut boots. The shocks look straight forward and easy but the struts a little bit more work. I should’ve just ordered the spring compressor at the same time, lesson learned. I want to get the job done tomorrow but the local autozones don’t have the tool to borrow. Sorry for the long explanation. Thank you again for your suggestion.

#6 ·
Job is done. And of course I didn’t get any pic of the finished install. Come to find out I don’t need a spring compressor when replacing my struts with the Eibach lowering springs. Everything came apart and reinstalled nicely. My Toaster was cooperating today. Lol. Took about four hours for the entire job. A little trial and error but it’s done and the ride is much better. Hopefully it’s taken care of the vibration over 60. Tomorrow will be getting an alignment.

#10 · (Edited)
On my Mazda I didn't need compressor to get strut hat nut started but wouldn't have assumed that with your xB.....would also depend on drop of springs. mine are 1.5" drop. Not sure what your Eibachs are. Either way, done deal so all that is late to the party info.

#11 · (Edited)
Mine is also a 1.5” lowering kit. Yeah there way hardly any tension so was easy. Just got her aligned and the strut nut rechecked. That was a bit lose. Now I’m trying to get used to the feeling of how she handles again. I’ve been driving on blown out shocks and struts for a while evidently. Was having an awful vibration, had everything checked, everything was good. Hoping this fixed it. Next is centric rings for my wheels. And we will just say you’re fashionably late. 😁

#12 ·
Kinda wanna lower the box about .50 or .75 at most. Don't want it to ride like my Mazda does. 94k on oems but got it with 88k on it. Not sure how it was treated before so still riding on oems for now. Not sure how much better it'd ride compared to now either since I don't have any weird noises or actions

#14 · (Edited)
The ride on my toaster with the 1.5” lowering kit isn’t too bad as long as I don’t go super low profile on my wheels. I like more of the stretched euro look. Right now I’m running 195/50-16, 8x16 with I think a 20 offset. I like the look of the offset so that’s why I won’t stay with the stock size. Just have to watch going into some drive ways. Lol.

#13 ·
oh, btw, not sure if you care about it but polar white oem rear spoilers are still available on online oem parts places for about $95.....and mounting hardware kits available thru forum member here.

#15 ·
mine had 215/45/17s on it when I got it and plan on staying with that size so .75 would be max for me. The new espelirs on my mazda actually improved the ride noticeably over the beat up maxspeed ones that had 15 yrs of use on them and even tho the new tires were still 205/40/17, they also made an improvement in the ride vs the 12 yr old ones on there, lol. That car has about 5k miles put on it since 2011 according to the inspection place so maintenance gets done on time basis instead of mileage.

#17 ·
More like jarring. Lol. Sometimes it hit so hard it was painful. My speaker box I swear hit the roof. But figured it was how my new wheels and tires were riding. Nope it was blown out suspension. Lol. It’s so much better and pretty much all of my vibration is gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.