Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I own a 2008 xB/Manual trans/103K. Recently - when backing - I'm getting a howl that sounds as though something's 'dragging' in the drivetrain. A couple of months ago I experienced this and seemed to solve it by backing several times and then firmly hitting the brakes. I tried this again, but the sound is still happening. Has anyone else had this experience? P.S. From what I can tell, it seems it's coming from the front of the car, but hard to tell from behind the wheel. Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hello All, I own a 2008 xB/Manual trans/103K. Recently - when backing - I'm getting a howl that sounds as though something's 'dragging' in the drivetrain. A couple of months ago I experienced this and seemed to solve it by backing several times and then firmly hitting the brakes. I tried this again, but the sound is still happening. Has anyone else had this experience? P.S. From what I can tell, it seems it's coming from the front of the car, but hard to tell from behind the wheel. Thanks!
Time to get on Your hands & knees and inspect. We can't really diagnose unless we hear it and see it. Just needs an inspection. My $02. Cents. Other's should chime in.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Scion xB Automatic
317 Posts
Purely guessing here, but have you checked your brake shoes lately? If they're super worn out and close enough to the rotors, it could make a howl like you're describing when going in an opposite direction than they're used to. (Assuming they're a little bit loose, I mean)

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,713 Posts
When was the last time you check the brake pads and rotors, front and rear? I'd take bets that front pads are worn and shifting slightly when you reverse causing the trailing edge of the pad to dig into the rotor. Take them apart and inspect them, or take it to a shop if you don't have the knowledge/tools to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did my fron and rear brakes and i get a squeal when coming to a full stop and when driving i get a rub that sounds like dragging your hand on a wet window when the brake pedal gets tapped what could this be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts