Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For the last week or so, I have been hearing this annoying rattling/clicking noise from my passenger side. I can usually only hear it with the passenger windows down and no music. I think it's coming from the wheels, because it slows down as the car does and stops when the car does.

My wife described it as "like when boys put cards in their bicycle spokes to make that clicking noise." I dodn't know what it is. The only thing I've done to the car is take off my hubcaps and put on steel trim rings, I'm running my stock steelies.

I should add that my 2006 BOP xB has only 3800 miles.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
i dont know but i had this on my rear drivers side wheel. sounded like it was bicycle/cards combo like your wife described. i had my stockers on at that time. i thought it might be flat or something but i got out and looked and it was fine. i ended up driving home, jacking it up, taking off the wheel, then putting back on. rattle never came back so i never said anything about it. thats weird. try taking off and putting the wheel back on. it might fix it like it did for me!

scotty

·
Registered
368 Posts
a)try loose hub cap/ wheel cover, if your wearing them
b) could be you picked up a rock/pebble or two in the tread of your tire, check all the way around tread.

happens with my hub caps/wheel covers and always picking up gravel in the tread, thats the sound those make.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked for gravel. I'm gonna try taking the wheels off on that side, as suggested. I did switch lug nuts when I put on the trim rings, so maybe it got tweaked a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
i had the same problem on my front drivers side and it ended up being the plastic wheel well cover that connects to the front bumper but I could here it with the windows up. Hope this helped out in any way

·
Registered
762 Posts
make sure your lug nuts are tight! it could be your wheel wobbling a bit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i had the same noise but it was the black hood stopper things

just twisted it out so the hood stop rattling

·
Registered
109 Posts
As was mentioned above, check your lug nuts for torque ... then remove the trim rings and see if it goes away. Sometimes trim rings and wheel covers that have a metal tension ring will make a clicking sound while driving. This is from either debris or the actually rubbing of the 2 metal surfaces.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
could be loose gravel between the trim ring and rim.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
its the rings i had moons eyes and it did the same thing same sound and all its the way they fit tic tic tic tic tic tic slower t i c t i c rings:cool:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tomorrow I'm taking the trim rings off on that side and driving it around and checking it out.

I'll let you all know. Thanks for the input! This site rocks.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Check to make sure everything is on properly, and secure.

Ok, I did this when I was a kid, at least 30 years ago, not yesterday. I used to put a few BBs inside the hubcaps of some of my neighbors cars. When they would drive by we would hear the BBs moving around and laugh. Then my dad found out and I got smacked good.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
squirrel said:
Check to make sure everything is on properly, and secure.

Ok, I did this when I was a kid, at least 30 years ago, not yesterday. I used to put a few BBs inside the hubcaps of some of my neighbors cars. When they would drive by we would hear the BBs moving around and laugh. Then my dad found out and I got smacked good.
Ahhh, childhood, what ever happened to the good ol' days?...lol

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dad told me that he would put uncooked fish (like catfish) in people's hubcaps so that they wouldn't hear it. Nasty!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
if it was gravel, you wouldnt hear it all the time anyway so that wouldnt suprise me that its not gravel. but since that was ruled out, im interested to hear the final verdict on it. you wouldnt hear it all the time due to principles of centrifugal force. same goes for the bbs i would assume.

since its not the gravel though, im interested to see what happened.
give us an update!

Scotty

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it's almost for sure something that was inside or loose in the one of the steel trim rings. When I was messing around with the wheels today, one of the trim rings made a weird noise if you just touched it. I'll keep you posted when I';m sure.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
its the ring they are 2 pices and you some play where they are pinched together :cool:

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
short bus said:
its the ring they are 2 pices and you some play where they are pinched together :cool:
Cool, I'm glad it wasn't something serious.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Answer: it was the steel trim rings, or something inside of them. I took them off on that side this morning and everything sounds fine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Final answer: I put the trim rings back on and the noise started again, so that's it for sure. I'm just glad it isn't my car, I can handle a little rattle if I know what it is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts