Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pensacola Scikotics
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While this may be a very dumb question.....in my years of building small block chevys....this would qualify as a 4-1 header.:confused:

I'm out today doing some cleaning and changing under the hood of my new box. This is what I see when I remove the heat shield....any input is greatly appreciated.

-Kevin

·
Registered
974 Posts
That is in fact the OE exhaust pert which is why I don't understand why anyone would waste their money replacing it. A header with slightly larger tubes can only flow slightly better and in my mind you could never see enough gains in power to make the money spent on a headder worth it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have to disagree - it is not a little wider itis much wider !- and once you take the OEm headers off you can see how much smaller they become where the mnfct. pinched them shut to get them into the bottom barrel.
plus you can always Port and polish for even better flow. What I do like is how your shift cables are out of the way - mine dangle dangerously close to the pipes i have put in. An aftermarket 4-2-1 would be better than the mickey mouse job in the factory pea shooters.
you get better performance once the little guy can inhale / exhale better.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I wish I woulda taken a pic of the headers next to each other with the pipe sides up when Tim and I did the header install. There's a huge difference in the diameter of the pipes. You go from wimpy wimpy wimpy, to hefty hefty hefty. No joke. And for the price (about the same as an intake) it's definitely worth it. (Though I got mine used, which makes it a better deal).

·
Registered
110 Posts
alright - Thank you for agreeing Boom Box - there is a significant difference in diameters - and overall assembly. -
I attached a phot above - but check out "finally photos " of my headers - nevermind the cloudy look - i thinkthat is just oil from my hands that cooked after the install - i wan't wearing surgery gloves :(

·
Registered
230 Posts
I took some pics of the stock exhaust manifold vs my new MMW Weapon R header. Check it out:

Stock Exhaust manifold

MMW Header

Stock vs Aftermarket

Hope u like!!!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There is quite a noticeable difference between the factory and aftermarket headers. Though I wasn't 100% impressed with the build quality of the MMW header, there was a noticeable difference from the factory unit. The wife actually noticed even more than I did. (Probably because she drives the car every day.)

I took pictures for comparison when I did her install. I'll see if I can find them this evening and try to post up. I also think that at the price of our headers, the value probably is worth the gain you see. Considering you can get a pretty decent header (4-1 Megan or 4-2-1 MMW) for under $200 to your door, I would say it is worth it. Heck even at $250 or $275 (DC or Strup) it is probably still a pretty good buy.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
LOL... thanks 06. You posted while I was typing. Very similar to the pictures I was going to look for this evening. If I find anything worth adding, I'll still post up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
ya no problem. I have seen a great increase in power, but I also have an unorthodox racing pulley, cold air intake, and custom dual exhaust.. Oh i even have a throttle body spacer..

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
The biggest difference is the bore of the piping. If someone can get a pic of the actual diameter of each, that would help quite a bit more. I'm too lazy (and shopless) to pull the DC off and take pics of it and then the stock.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thats nice - I like that you h ave Heat Shield Brackets - A problem that I am now having to think about - for when the day comes to Smog the S.O.B

·
Registered
12 Posts
has anyone had problems with stainless steel headers and having the shift cables sit right on top of them? how can i prevent the cables from melting?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the Strup header and you can feel the difference esp. at top end. the header alone isn't that big of a deal cause the engine is a 1.5 liter pump, if you make it exhaust better then you gotta make it breath better too. Add an intake to make the header work as it should.

·
A Flawed Perspective
155 Posts
The whole purpose for replacing the header is to allow for improved breathing. But if you’re just putting a header on how does that do anything? I don’t understand how there could be any gain if you stop at the down pipe. Even with replacing the down pipe I still don’t see how there could be any increase in performance let alone feel. In order for there to be any change wouldn’t you have to open up not only the headers but the Down Pipe, Cat., pipes, and muffler? I’m no mechanic but just replacing the header would just create more backpressure wouldn’t it? From what I understand it’s like blowing milk bubbles. If you increase the size of the straw you can force more air through. But if you only increase the size of the top half you are trying to force a greater amount of air through the same straw.

On the other hand going too big is not good either. You can’t blow bubbles too well if the straw is the same size as your mouth.

Like I said I’m no mechanic so I’m open for criticism.

-GoodtimeS-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.