Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm GOING to purchase an xb but i'd like some opiuns on tranies, why is auto trans 1mpg better rating for hwy. would i be happer with stick in the long run?? any thoughts i would shurly apprecate. E.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Well I drive 60 miles to and from work every day, and I have a stick couldn't be happyer. I didn't think that the lack of power would get to me but it does bug me a bit but I am comming from a Nissan 240 and I've had well over $2,000.00 in tickets so I need the lack of power. But the stick is way faster the the auto so I can complane to much and the tickets have stopped :) Just Paid my last ticket for $680.00

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Go with the stick.

·
Registered
361 Posts
^^^yup.... autos are for people who arent talented enough to drink and smoke while shifting.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
RAIDERBEAST said:
^^^yup.... autos are for people who arent talented enough to drink and smoke while shifting.
Not true. Auto are for old, lazy guys like me!

J/K!! I chose the auto 'cause I got tired of constantly having to upshift/downshift in the madness we call the San Diego morning commute. Okay, and I'm lazy too.

As for the 1 mpg difference, I've heard from friends that the manual runs at a slightly higher RPM than the auto.... Can someone confirm this? :confused:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I'm not sure about the milage difference, I was doing better until I got the louder exhaust. Now I tend to wind it out because I like the noise. :D I've heard it said that "an automatic drives you, you drive a stick." I've got the stick.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Eider said:
i'm GOING to purchase an xb but i'd like some opiuns on tranies, why is auto trans 1mpg better rating for hwy. would i be happer with stick in the long run?? any thoughts i would shurly apprecate. E.
BTW, what are your driving now, stick or auto?

I don't believe a 1 mpg difference on the highway should be a deal maker/breaker, just get what YOU like and are comfy with. JMO. ;)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
RAIDERBEAST said:

Ha ha. That's funny, but true. (Sorry, Dion, I'm with you, but he's still kinda right!) What can I say? I'm just not that talented enough to multitask while driving! I would recommend the MT if you can - better power, better on the transmission, and better gas mileage I guess. Unless you spend a lot of time stuck in traffic, then it's probably not a very good choice.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
I'm not sure about the milage difference, I was doing better until I got the louder exhaust. Now I tend to wind it out because I like the noise. :D
:D :D :D

I was told because the stick has closer gear ratio for a more "sportier" feel.

·
Registered
240 Posts
jeez thank god i got a stick im able to upgrade and run my car at the track but if i got an auto it would be alil bit more harder to be more competitive...

·
Registered
283 Posts
If this will be your only car, get stick! If you already have another car with a 5 or 6 speed, then you can get an automatic. I have my weekend canyon beater with a 5 speed. The xB is nice & quiet. I might be buying a manual xB soon. (^o^ ) <3

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, I got an automatic transmission because: I'm 43 and getting lazy, I've had plenty of sticks and it gets old in the crazy Dallas traffic I drive in every day, my wife drives it, sometimes, and she's tired of shifting, too. I second guessed myself on it for like a month, because the stick gives you more control and seems sportier....

But I'm glad I got the auto. If it was a Porsche 911, I would get a stick.

·
06.5 TCM
10,027 Posts
I got an Auto after alot of consideration and couldn't be happier. Freeway driving is done at much lower RPM (main reason for better gas mileage). Overall I find that I drive in a more relaxed style with Auto. Stick is always more stressfull on the engine and I dont have any illusions about xB being a serious racer in street form.
By the way I converted 2 of my previous cars from Auto to Manual. But for xB that driven normally on streets an freeways Auto is a way to go in my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
stick... i like it cuz it gives you passing power, with any car, stick is better... but maybe when im a lazy guy too ill start gettin auto's haha:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.