Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Know some of what I'm going to do. 4 Infinity Kappa 2-way speakers and 2 Infinity Kappa tweeters to replace stock speakers. Probably 1 10" kicker in an enclosure built up under the passenger seat. I do not want to give up storage space so...1 amp will go under the driver seat. I have had Alpine in the past Head unit and amps) for clean distortion free sound, I am exploring other options. Usually, you need an amp for the main speakers and another for the kicker but, that means finding space for another amp. Alpine has some new PXT digital amps that are stackable, but they are really expensive (would run me another $1200), not sure i want to spend that much. I see Memphis has an amp that is supposed to power the whole sterio (MCH 1300, 4 channels @75 watts per speaker, 1 channel (sub) @300 watts). Has anyone seen and or have an opinion on this unit and or know of any other amps along this line that might be a good option for the xb. I see that one of the sterios made by pioneer for scion has a 6 disc unit in the head unit which seems like a great idea but...I don't think the quality of any pioneer is close to alpine. Any opinions here, or know any other quality sterios with this option? Thanx

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
You've got a few options:

If you can find a 5 channel amp small enough to fit under the seat that can be used in conjunction with an external cross-over unit for tweaking of your sub-frequencies.

You can build a small amp rack and have 2 small amps under your seat, one for the mids/highs, one for the sub.

I suggest going with all Infinity if you're gonna have infinity components, it just looks nicer, and the Inf subs pound pretty hard in smaller enclosures.

I could go on and on, but it's really a good idea to stick with a single company unless you're looking to go SPL.

·
3,453 Posts
Also, the Pioneer Premier line is, in MY opinion, the same quality as the standard Alpine stuff - unless you plan on going F1.

If you're looking for SICK audiophile quality, look into McIntosh amps mounted to Focal's high end components.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure the pioneer stuff made for scions is not "the premium stuff" though. The only reason i would consider that one model made for sion is cause I know its a perfect fit and That model has the 6 disc in the head unit. In referance to mix and match, most of the sterio stuff will be hidden. I know with my alpine setup (which i have in my dodge dakotta) it was recomended to Keep the head unit, amps and disc changer all alpine which i did. So, I know i will be going with the infinity kappas speakers, i love the sound. You think the infinity subs are better than kickers? So, i guess i need to figure out the right 5 channel amp. I love alpine but as i said, the alpine stuff would run me $2000 just for amps, cassette deck and head uinit, not to mention the approx $700 i will already have in the infinities and the sub. I'd like to figure out if i could find a quality setup (besides the speakers) that is less expensive

·
3,453 Posts
It's not that I think the Inf subs are better than the kickers. They just perform better and sound cleaner in the small space you're looking to fit the sub into. With the kicker, even an sl5 12, you'll lose all your bottom end in such a small enclosure. Sure, it'll bang, but you won't get that nice rumble. Inf has been known to work well in small enclosures, which is why a lot of my old truck buddies would run their 12's in a single cab, because they could produce a nice lower end than most subs.

·
3,453 Posts
You can always find the Legendary A/D/S/T stuff if you look hard enough for a good price. It's how I got my Orion 500.4. That amp alone made my stock speakers sound good, think what I'd get with aftermarket stuff.

·
3,453 Posts
If you don't mind mixing and matching, I've had excellent luck with Concepts amplifiers. They sound clean, run cool, and have a classy look to them. Also, most of their amps are tri-mode and 5-channel capable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A 5 channel amp is a cool idea but most of those are likely to be too big for the underseat mounting. I have had alpine amps and headunits before. I have always liked Alpine. I would not use the internal amps in any headunit. For me I must have the adjustablity and capability of 2 amps in my systems. I like JL Audio amps. I am also fond of the Infinity Kappa series speakers tho I have not owned any in a long time. I really liked some MB Quart 3 way components I had. Currently my systems are using JL Audio 2 way components and coaxials and subs. For what you want to do you could use just a sub amp under the drivers seat and a small box 10" woofer under the passenger and run the mids and highs directly from the headunits amps. JL Audio also makes some small enclosure woofers. For more system control (and I find better sound) add a second amp to run the mids/highs. There is quite a bit of space under the seat stacking 2 amps should not be that hard.

I built and tried underseat boxsin my xB. I built 2 3/4 MDF boxes to accept my Jl Audio 10w3's. They were downfiring and the boxes were the correct volumn for the subs. There was about 1.5 inches clearance to the floor for air movement. I was unhappy with the sound. From the drivers and passengers seat there was bass but it didn't really hit. If you went to the back cargo area they sounded pretty good. Back there you could feel more "hit". I stored my spare in the garage signed up for AAA and built a custom enclosure in the back:) Now it "HITS"!!! Different subs might have been fine?? Who knows? Just food for thought.

·
Pwner of all
143 Posts
if your going underseat...u will NEED low clearance sube to sound even remotely close to ok....

amps mounted under the seat are great...our scions have the a/c vent down there...be cognizant of that when choosing your spot...that can and WILL cause condensation on the outside of the amp...we all know electricity and water do not mix, so try and avoid that at all costs...simple solution as boombox says, is to build a chessy , simple, wooden vinyl or fabric or painted amp rack. This will lift the amp above the direct flow of the a/c vent, thus alleviating the condesation issue, and still allowing it to remain cool.

For the subs again...low clearance subs that require VERY minimal mounting depth is what you need. Keep in mind..all this comes at a cost of lesser hitting sound no matter WHAT you do.....

C

·
Pwner of all
143 Posts
oh and you wont find a GOOD amp that is the size you need to power the whole system...go w two amps like Ted said above.....i also forgot to mention for the components, go w what is good for the $....if your going for personal sound...just get whats in the budget and sounds good..if u want show style, def rock the same brands through out...

·
x2 da b
327 Posts
it looks like you want o have a lot of highs with those infinity kappa speakers. kicker has a new shallow mount comp vr sub that just came out if you wanted and you can mount that in a box under the seat. you can do 1 amp, i would go with either the infinity reference 5 channel or the kicker 5 channel. either one will do it and you can take out the storage compartment in the back passenger side and it will fit in there. get a decent cap while you are at it. personally i would at least do a single ported 12 in the back, at least you would have half the trunk to work with and it wouldn't be so heavy you cant move it your self. i had a alphasonik 800 series single vented box and it sounded great, now i have 2 and its crazy:)

·
Pwner of all
143 Posts
:rolleyes: alphasonik is OLD SCHOOL but awesome stuff...

Shallow Mount is what i meant by Low Clearance btw...lol..sorry typing to fast at werk lol

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Alphasoniks are awesome.. But allot of there stuff are hard to come by at time.

In my last system I was running all JL Audio for Speakers and Amps... I was using the Jl Audio 2 way XR components along with a JL Audio 5x7 rear 2 way coxial speaker. Since in my Solara you dont hear the rears as much I made sure the front's were my main stage and the rear just thru out some mid bass that the 6.5" front would miss. For the amps I ran a JL 500/1 to my 12" JL w7 and a 300/2 class a/b amp to my front 2 way components. From there it was all tuning... This made a great sound system and caught allot of attention at shows I atteneded.

My trunk was completely custom and subwoofer box was made to specs and in a sealed enclosure.

My current system in my xB consist of 3.5" 2 ways in the front dash (stock tweeter location) This is powered with the Pioneer headunit with high pass filters on. In the doors I am running a set of 6.5" MB quart 2 way components with the tweeter mounted where the mirrors are. In the rear I am running on the same set of components and both sets are powered by a PPI A600/4 amp. I am running a 12" Element Designs subwoofer is a fiberglass box in the spare cubby in the trunk area and a PPI A500/1 amp power the subwoofer. Of course tuning came into play to help create the sound stage I wanted.

Depending on your budget there is allot of set-ups you can do..
My JL set-up in my Solara ran me more money then the current system I have in my xB.. However the xB sound stage did give cleaner sound... but doesn't have the hard hittin bass like the JL w7 i had in my solara's trunk...

·
Pwner of all
143 Posts
PPI???? Precision Power amps are the SHT!!!!!!!!!!!......

i too had an alphasonik amp that was from the EIGHTIES!...and to this day it STILL works.lol

GL w the system doode...we got a tad OT...lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanx guys,I'll research some of ur sugg. The kicker shallow mount sounds like it might be a good fit. The memphis 5 channel sounded like a good idea (mch 1300) but i found it listed at $800 which is not that much less than the 2 PXT alpines i was interested in. I may still end up with alpine unless i get convinced that some thing else is just as good at a decently better price.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW cmdxb, When i read ur moniker "i'm so JDM i sit on the right side of the couch yo!" ...Love it, i was cracking up

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.