Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Took about 10min. to install.

1st pic. - stock wheel. Make sure you wheels are straight and battery is disconnected.

2nd pic. - using two pieces of tape, mark alignment marks, so that you will reinstall the new wheel in the same spot.

3rd pic. - using a T30 torx, loosen up this bolt on both sides. It won't come all the way out, it just loosins and stays attached to the covering.

4th pic. - with the two torx bolts loose, the air-bag assembly can be pulled loose.

5th pic. - with the bag loose, use a small flat blade screw driver and stick it where shown and pop-up the little yellow clip. (Just till it clicks)

6th pic. - disconnect the horn, by pinching this plug and pulling.

7th pic. - using a 19mm socket with a long extension and ratchet, loosen and remove the main bolt. (turn towards your left)

8th pic. - bolt removed.

9th pic. - using a phillips head screw driver, remove the two upper screws. (one on each side)

10th pic. - push the little keepers open on each side of the bottom of the wheel. This step & step 9 will loosen the plastic cover from the back of the wheel.

to be continued.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
these are some of the pics, didn't seem to work on the first post.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
more of the pics.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
11th pic. - grab both sides of wheel and pull & wiggle, comes right off.

put the new one on and reverse all the steps above.

12th pic - The new wheel installed!!!

The silver around the air-bag section will soon be gloss black, like the radio.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
It took me almost 20 minutes cuz I did mine at 1 o'clock in the morning!

Nice pictorial!

·
Registered
65 Posts
He He, Thats all.....Geez that looks easy. Man I was thinking it was hard or something. I have been a lil scared to do it. Thank you for a great write up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
OK,
So where are you guys getting the steering wheels that fit the XB? Looks totally awesome! I have always wanted to change mine , but was afraid of a random 'bag deployment"

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ScionScotty said:
dude i owe you one big time Chris! i had no idea how to do this one before and was scared as hell i was gonna pop the air bag in my face! now time for modding.....

scotty
No prob! Really easy, 10 minutes. Just pull the battery or fuse, but if you pull the fuse don't start or turn the key on or it could set off your air bag light and you'll have to go to the dealer to get it turned off.

Chris

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Siver turned gloss black like promised!

·
Registered
186 Posts
DIY: Steering Wheel Swap for 2004-2006 xB OEM Leather Steering Wheel Part SIMPLIFIED

DIY: Steering Wheel Swap for 2004-2006 xB OEM Leather Steering Wheel Part SIMPLIFIED

Background:
Scion offered two factory steering wheel upgrade options, both two-tone leather wheels. One was perforated red leather and non-perforated black leather, the other was perforated gray leather and non-perforated black leather. The part numbers are below and both are generally still available now (2013-03). They list for $299, but the gray/black model is available for about $230 and the red/black model has been recently discontinued and is available for $90 (if interested, Google is your friend).

Red/Black Leather --> 08460-52820
Gray/Black Leather --> 08460-52830

Simplified Steering Wheel Swap Procedure
While there are many threads available here and else where that discuss steering wheel swaps, none present the shortest path for this specific upgrade, until now!

Required Tools
10mm open ended wrench
T30 Torx bit/driver
Philips screwdriver
19mm or 3/4" socket wrench w/3" or more extension
Torque wrench

Time Required
15 minutes working at a careful pace with all tools at hand

Swap Procedure
Please review the attached repair manual diagram to familiarize yourself with the few parts that you'll be handling, specifically, the airbag a.k.a. horn button assembly and the steering wheel assembly.

1. Disconnect negative terminal of battery by loosening the terminal nut with a 10mm open ended wrench (and position connector away from terminal).

2. With wheels and steering wheel perfectly straight and in locked position, loosen both Torx screws that are behind and securing the airbag/horn assembly to the center of the steering wheel with the T30 bit/driver.

3. With the airbag module retaining screws loosened (but not removed), lift the airbag module up and carefully spin it 180 degrees so that it can be placed back through the steering wheel and rested upon the steering column housing.

4. Remove the two Philips securing screws from the back side of the center housing and unclip the bottom of the plastic back side housing from the bottom spoke of the steering wheel.

5. Using the 19mm or 3/4' socket with a 3" or greater extension, loosen the main steering wheel nut and unscrew, but do not remove the nut, leave it on for the moment.

6. Wiggle the steering wheel while pulling to free it from the shaft, the loosened nut will prevent it from abruptly popping off and hitting you or causing the airbag to fall from its resting place.

7. Remove the loosened steering wheel nut and the steering wheel.

8. Reverse the entire process with the replacement steering wheel, starting with positioning the steering wheel exactly in the same position from which the old one was removed.

Specified Torque Amounts
steering wheel nut - 26 lb. ft. (per the Scion Leather Steering Wheel Installation Manual) or 37 lb. ft. (per the 2004 Scion xB Repair Manual)
Philip screws - .8 lb. ft. (that's point 8 - yes, under 1 lb. ft.)
Torx screws - 6.5 lb. ft.
battery terminal bolt - 3 lb. ft.

Enjoy your new steering wheel.

Attachments

·
resident old fart
2,075 Posts
Re: DIY: Steering Wheel Swap for 2004-2006 xB OEM Leather Steering Wheel Part SIMPLIF

Good write up Ed. I have a feeling now that people know how simple it really is you'll see more folks looking for the optional wheel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.