Scion xB Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 xB has some rattling under steering column. I've had all mechanicals under hood inspect and are ok. Sometimes a little vibration in column but mostly rattles on bumpy roads. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem here. Dealer checked it up last friday. Two parts before the rack and pinion has to be replaced because of "normal wear". Estimated cost to replace: $2,500+. More details when I get the car back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
omg. not good. I was worried about safety and then had it checked when on the hoist last and thought I was o.k. It's a weird sound doesn't sound mechanical. Please let me know what else you learn.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Confirmation: Parts required to eliminate rattle...
Steering Column - Toyota (45250-12E20)
Intermediate Shaft - Toyota (45260-12630)

Yep. Both expensive. $2,500 in a local Toyota authorized service center, installation and taxes included.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Confirmation: Parts required to eliminate rattle...
Steering Column - Toyota (45250-12E20)
Intermediate Shaft - Toyota (45260-12630)

Yep. Both expensive. $2,500 in a local Toyota authorized service center, installation and taxes included.
There's gotta be aftermarket parts and a single good mechanic cheaper than that!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would tend to think the primary culprit would be u-joints on the intermediate shaft. have you tried shakin on that to see if any play there? Other thought would be a worn bearing in the column allowing for jostling and noise.

·
Lots o leather and copper
1,680 Posts
I'd agree on the intermediate shaft being the main issue. Same thing happened to my ex's Prius and the design is very similar looking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to have mine inspected. I have to say I've no issues with steering, steering wheel, driving. I'm also hopeful there are cheaper parts and labor. Thanks for the detailed updates and specs. I was recently buoyed by posts that said their xB had 240 thousand miles with no major repairs, routine maintenace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 xB has some rattling under steering column. I've had all mechanicals under hood inspect and are ok. Sometimes a little vibration in column but mostly rattles on bumpy roads. Thoughts?
Automotive wheel system Symbol Font Auto part Circle
Maybe you just need to replace this. I don't have the exact part number on hand. I bought it at Toyota dealer, not expensive. It's is not so easy to install at first. But once done, you will learn and it's not that hard, if you have some mechanic skills.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 80249 Maybe you just need to replace this. I don't have the exact part number on hand. I bought it at Toyota dealer, not expensive. It's is not so easy to install at first. But once done, you will learn and it's not that hard, if you have some mechanic skills.
What is this and how do I learn where it goes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is this and how do I learn where it goes?
Flower Petal Font Poster Automotive wheel system
This is the picture I showed at the counter (If I search by this part number on the web by my own, it says it is not compatible with my Scion xB 2008, but it is, and, I think all years are the same). The dealer's guy looks at the system and they have it in stock. Put on YouTube: "Scion steering damper" or "Toyota steering damper" and you can find a lot of videos explaining the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
View attachment 80250 This is the picture I showed at the counter (If I search by this part number on the web by my own, it says it is not compatible with my Scion xB 2008, but it is, and, I think all years are the same). The dealer's guy looks at the system and they have it in stock. Put on YouTube: "Scion steering damper" or "Toyota steering damper" and you can find a lot of videos explaining the issue.
View attachment 80250 This is the picture I showed at the counter (If I search by this part number on the web by my own, it says it is not compatible with my Scion xB 2008, but it is, and, I think all years are the same). The dealer's guy looks at the system and they have it in stock. Put on YouTube: "Scion steering damper" or "Toyota steering damper" and you can find a lot of videos explaining the issue.
I appreciate you. Thanks. Have a great weekend. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts