Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i orderd three sets of CC off ebay($25), and decided to start installing them(thanks Taz). The first set I put under the dash passenger and driverside...the second set i put one in the wheel well, its being held up only by the two lines the come from the engine bay to the wheel(one hard one flexes) the second tube is under the black piece above the firewall. The other set is the same on the passenger side. I just didn't wire them up yet...I also wired up the strobes in my tails...they look great...no vid though, i'll get one tonight...And i have to run the wires to the switch.

I just ordered three more sets of the 12" and two sets of the 4" for the OSH. One set set will go in each wheel well, and the other set will go somewhere inside, or in the grille(middle).

But have a few questions...How bad is it that two of the tubes are missing one of the end cubes? and will the ones that are in the wheel wells be okay as far as water damage...Where is a good place to run wires through the firewall?

BTW, hopefully these pics look better to you guys than they do to me, because i'm at work and the computer makes everything darker...

This one is the pedals and the wheel

This one is the wheel

This one is the wheel and the one under the hood...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Dude, you got your wheel wells done before I did! If the cc's without the end cap are inside the vehicle it's not that big of a deal. You can just put some clear silicone in the end. The ones under the Box, in the wheel well I would definitely add some clear silicone around the seams for the end caps. Looking good!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean like the gel stuff that's used to seal the headlights?

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
You mean like the gel stuff that's used to seal the headlights?
I use the silicone for bathrooms. It goes on white and then in a few days goes clear. You can find it at Home Depot.

·
Registered
485 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but i thought you couldnt place CC's on the exterior because of water damage. Is it the converter that i am thinking of ?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably so, but it you are referring to the ones in the wheel well, the converter is under the hood. Velcro'd to the body where the front shock comes through...there is a hole a little bit below it where the wires are coming through...pics to come...

that stuff is for cocaine and bathrooms...lol

·
Registered
367 Posts
backseatchris said:
correct me if im wrong, but i thought you couldnt place CC's on the exterior because of water damage. Is it the converter that i am thinking of ?
From http://www.oznium.com/

Cold Cathode FAQ's
What exactly is a cold cathode?

A cold cathode is a lamp very similar to a neon lamp. The light comes from a small round neon tube (2.6mm diameter) powered by a transformer. The transformer is designed to use 12 volts DC, and output approximately 650 volts AC that is needed to power the cold cathode.

What is the difference between cathodes and neon's?

The main difference is in the light output and cost. Cathodes are much brighter and less expensive than regular neon accent tubes. Cathodes are a beter value.

What are the cathodes made of?
The cathodes are made of glass with a protective acrylic tube around the glass. They will not break as long as they are mounted to a surface that prevents flexing and stress on the tube.

Can the cathodes be used outside?
Yes, but you should first seal the tubes and transformer with a silicone sealant and possibly a few layers of electrical tape.

Do the lights get hot?

The glass and ends of the lamp do get a little warm, so they should be installed so that they do not touch any material that might be flammable.

Are the transformers protected?

The transformers are protected by a sturdy black casing.

What are the dimensions of the transformer?

The transformers are 3.25" x 1" x .75".

Can I extend the white wires past the transformer?

While it is possible, we do not recommend extending the white wires past the transformer. The cathodes may dim and flicker from the loss of voltage. If you want a cathode on each side of the dash, just buy two complete sets. You can however, extend the red and black power wires to reach the battery, or other power source.

Are the red cathodes really red?

The newest style cathodes are quite red.

When hooking the cathodes up, does polarity matter?

Nope! They have built-in polarity protection.

·
Registered
367 Posts
FYI - I actually wrap my trannys with duct tape, then seal with silicone. Make sure to do the ends of the cathodes as well, and use PLENTY of silicone where ALL the plugs enter the tranny.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
heathenbrewing said:
When hooking the cathodes up, does polarity matter?

Nope! They have built-in polarity protection.
*Note, the polarity issue is only related to the connection between the lamp and the converter, the red and black leads must be connected correctly or you will fry the board!

·
Registered
367 Posts
surfcitylocal said:
*Note, the polarity issue is only related to the connection between the lamp and the converter, the red and black leads must be connected correctly or you will fry the board!
I do belive the trannys Oznium sells have a built in circuit protection. The lights will NOT light up if you go positive to black wire, but it will not fry them. Feel free to email Phil @ Oznium for clarification.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heathenbrewing said:
FYI - I actually wrap my trannys with duct tape, then seal with silicone. Make sure to do the ends of the cathodes as well, and use PLENTY of silicone where ALL the plugs enter the tranny.
Do you take the cubes off then put the silicone in, then put the cube back? Because on mine the neon tube(not the outer tube)comes all the way to the end...will it mess it up? My transformers have holes in them, for ventilation i guess...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Big_Kokujin said:
Do you take the cubes off then put the silicone in, then put the cube back? Because on mine the neon tube(not the outer tube)comes all the way to the end...will it mess it up? My transformers have holes in them, for ventilation i guess...
Nope, just added more around where the cube and tube meet. They seem really well sealed already, but I decided to go the extra mile. On the cube with the wires, take extra time to squeeze/push/etc. that suff all around the wires...same with the tranny side that the wires enter.

My trannys also have holes in them, but they are doing fine sealed up nice and tight like that. 8+ months and I run them all the time when its dark. No problems so far.

On a side note, you can ditch the tube and cubes altogether and just run the pencil lead sized cathodes. A great how to is on the Oznium forum: http://www.oznium.com/forum/topic5488)
Allows you to put them in places you never thought possible, like inside the 'oh-sh*t" handles on the headliner.

Sorry to keep harping about that site, but the customer service is great, products very well priced, and the shipping was very fast.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
heathenbrewing said:
Some good advice on there, some bad. Just as with any forum.
My only other piece of advice: DO NOT BREAK THE CCF TUBE. It is a Mutha to clean up. They are flexible to a point and then it's clean up time.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aiight, so here are more pics...I think i might put both tubes in the wheel well, because the one under the black piece above the firewall don't show good unless the hood is up..but we will see. Under that black piece is also where i hid all the wires running from the transformer on the pass side to the driver and then up to the inside, to the controller i got...Now just waiting on the ones for the back...which both tubes will probably be put in the wells. The front ones are cool, because when you go slow enough, you can see the wheels turning through the lights...

This pic shows how its "mounted"

This is a better pic of the driverside.

Front

Passenger quarter

Passenger side

And heres my new shift knob

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You're wheel wells turned out great! Keep it up and light that whole Box. :D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, the I'm still trying to figure out where to put the third set od CCs...any ideas...

Is there anywhere on the firewall that i can run amp wires through, with out having to drill? My 626 has a rubber plug that has a hole the perfect size...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So i put one tube in each well. I think i'll have to add another. I'll even post up how i did it.

This one is from the driver side. My camera takes crappy night pics...I didn't think about taking a closeup...silly me.

Heres how i did it.

Only do it this way if you don't mind punching holes in your wheel well.
First I punched a hole only big enough for the thin part of a zip-tie to go out then back in, but not big enough for the pit part to go through.

Then i put it through, around the CC, then tightned it. Then sealed it with the stuff i used on the lights...

Then i pulled out the rubber plug and cut it so the wires from the CC could fit when i put it back in. That plug is in a hole that leads outside.

The transformer is right inside that little pocket behind the tail lights. For right now i have a wire gong between the back seats up to the control box i have. I also blew a transformer because i didnt check +/- because the wire doesn't show which is which.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
That's strange, the power and ground wires weren't marked?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.