Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my xB in october '06 and have been having a great time except for the winshield. In December we (in Oklahoma) experienced a cold snap and one morning as I pulled the xB out of the garage I noticed that the windshield had a 6 inch crack from top down.

The good part is that the replaced it as warranty work, Free to me.

The bad news is that today, one week later, the new windshield is cracked from the bottom up. Another cold wave came in over night.

Anybody from the colder climates had a similar experience? Or am I haning a bad run of luck?

·
Registered
454 Posts
You are not alone numerous people have had problems with their windshields. What I can tell you is that if you do a search on here or on Scionlife.com, you'll see just how many people have the same problem.

Since you did have the window replaced recently, check and see if whoever fixed your windshield will warranty the warranty work. GL!

·
Registered
69 Posts
It doesn't reduce the problem, or make it go away, but from what I have read the Scion xB does not have near the windshield "stress cracking" that exist with the MINI.

Also, it appears that Scion is willing to step up to the plate and honor their warranty much quicker and more frequently than BMW/MINI. That willingness/unwillingness alone is why I'm now driving an xB rather than a MINI!

IF the problem and solution is the same with the Scion as the MINI my guess is that installation is really important. Go back to your installer and hold them to any warranty that they may have made.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I live where is gets cold, right now it's like 21f. I've not had any problem or have ever heard of this happening from the cold. :confused:

I'd say it's something else. My box and everyother car/truck has been through winters seeing from 70 through -10 and never had a windshield crack due to the weather, unless you count the rocks that big rigs kick up from the graveled roads.

I say bring it back to who installed it and say another free one please :)

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
i also have a tacoma that had the same problem. it doesnt get SUPER cold here in arizona but the winters get to like 25-35 and my garage is heated. when i pulled the truck out one night the quick change in temp conrasted the metal im guessing and BAM it just cracked. theres alot of total glass replacement here in AZ tho with all the construction. its mandatory of insurance -=] good luck with your windshield tho. your not alone.

·
Registered
309 Posts
same thing happened tome too parked my car in front of my house wake up next morning and there was a huge crack coming down from center. took it to the dealer to have it replaced and they said its not covered by warranty cuz there was a pit the size of a grain of sand in the crack. also noticed that the metal insert on the windshield wiper came out on the passenger side and was scratching up the windshield said they couldnt replace that under warranty either cuz my car had over 12k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Both my boxes have been fine the last few weeks. Temps here have been averaging under 10 degrees farenheit. Most days start out at or below zero before any wind.

Aside from some slow starting I've been just fine!

-Alex

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
It doesn't reduce the problem, or make it go away, but from what I have read the Scion xB does not have near the windshield "stress cracking" that exist with the MINI.

Also, it appears that Scion is willing to step up to the plate and honor their warranty much quicker and more frequently than BMW/MINI. That willingness/unwillingness alone is why I'm now driving an xB rather than a MINI!

IF the problem and solution is the same with the Scion as the MINI my guess is that installation is really important. Go back to your installer and hold them to any warranty that they may have made.
I've heard of this problem with the MINI's too. I've heard some people get a new different windshield than the one the BMW puts on their cars. It's supposed to be a strong type of glass but I don't remember what it's called right now.

·
scikotics
1,005 Posts
I went out the other morning and found my windshield had a stress crack also. Since my box got pelted with rocks last month it's being replaced anyway but hope this isn't an issue in the future. Mine will be out of warranty in a few months.:eek:

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
dang! thats crazy. i suppose thats better than no plow and sliding off the road. i had a "spontanious" crack in my windshield after this crazy lady threw the ash tray from her car and hit mine right in the top corner of my windshield. but the good part is when i changed my rims i had 16 lug nuts left over... now i have 3 -=]

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've heard of this problem with the MINI's too. I've heard some people get a new different windshield than the one the BMW puts on their cars. It's supposed to be a strong type of glass but I don't remember what it's called right now.

The replacement glass for the MINI in made by PPG. It is about 20% thicker and far better than the crap that BMW buys from France to put in the MINI.

However, the quality of installation is of even greater importance. A poorly installed PPG windshield will stress crack also - know your installer and get a warranty!

·
Registered
144 Posts
dang! thats crazy. i suppose thats better than no plow and sliding off the road. i had a "spontanious" crack in my windshield after this crazy lady threw the ash tray from her car and hit mine right in the top corner of my windshield. but the good part is when i changed my rims i had 16 lug nuts left over... now i have 3 -=]
I do the same thing on my motorcycle!! a magnetic parts bowl on the gas tank...full of big nuts and bolts and old spark plugs....can be handy when honking, yelling and kicking in door panels doesn't get their attention...:)

·
Registered
974 Posts
I don't think it has to do with cold, I thinks it's more based on how well the windshield was installed.

It has be well below zero up here in Minneapolis for over a week (-10 tonight not including windchill) and I have not had any cracking problems ever.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My windshield cracked the other day. I was stold by the dealership that it wasnt a stress crack because they only happen on the inside of the windshield. I know for a fact that it wasnt a rock because it happened when the car was sitting in my driveway. What can I do??

·
Registered
19 Posts
My windshield cracked the other day. I was stold by the dealership that it wasnt a stress crack because they only happen on the inside of the windshield. I know for a fact that it wasnt a rock because it happened when the car was sitting in my driveway. What can I do??
I'm certainly no expert here but had an exepience related to this. Had my box with less than 900 miles on it. Parked it on a rather mild winter day (probably 50ish out) came back three hours later had a huge crack from the passenger edge of the windshield running to just about the center of the windshield. I'm almost certain that it was not from the inside of the windshield. Took it to the dealer and they covered it under warranty. Sratched up my paint doing the job but covered it nonetheless.

I would press them on this. Or even try another dealer if theres another nearby. Hope it works out

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
im going on my 3rd windsheild and my baby is only a year old

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.