Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
not likely otherwise everyone would have one. the most common are partial on parts in exchange for going to a set number of shows and representation. think of it this way: by the time you have the recognition and car built up to recieve sponsors, you're not going to need them. if that makes any sense, you usually have to build the hell outta the car and make it really well known, before some company will throw free parts and money at ya.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Most sponsorships come from hard work first.

Companies will not sponsor someone who has not won or placed at most "big" shows. The big sponsorships, ie free parts, come from companies who know the person, and the cars that they have built in the past.

It is very hard as a relatively unknown to recieve a sponsorship.

You may recieve a partial sponsorship, ie discount on parts or labor, but usually it takes knowing someone in the industry to even get noticed for anything free.

Also, you have to sign a contract and show your car sometimes, at the sponsors request. And usually that means if they need your car so in SoCal and you live in Nor*Cal, then you have to bring it down there.

And sometimes, a sponsor may tell you to put something on your car that you don't think should be on there, but you have to if your are under contract/sponsorship.

I have only a few sponsors. Why? Its because I'm an unknown, but I also know a few people in the industry and I have proven myself to a certain few peeps also.

I'm not going to put something in my car that I don't like either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so basically you have to love your car and get it to where you want it, then people will give you little bones here and there to show it off, and then they tell you to maybe do something you dont want to do with your car, all for some freebies that basically you dont need anymore... Sounds like a rat race with no reall victory for either party.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I've basically paid for everything you see on my car.

Sure, I've gotten a few freebies, but it really wasn't "free" so to speak.

You have to work hard and demonstrate that you can also sell the sponsors product.

Here's case and point:

I was selling parts for one of my major lines, and picking up these parts from the manufacturer. I refused to accept commission as this person was also a good friend of mine.

He finally talked me into opening my own business when he told me that in one 6 month period I had sold more of his product than any of his other distributors. I also promoted other products for manufacturers that were friends of his.

I was also a customer.

So by having a vehicle that was becoming high profile in my area, and also on a few websites, and by becoming friends with manufacturers, I was sponsored.

I can prolly get more sponsors, but truthfully, I bought my xB to commute in, not to be a show car. I pay the car payment, I pay the insurance, I pay for the maintenance, and I want my xB to look a certain way.

Also, I have a life and family, and I need a job to support them. So I can't make all of the car shows that some sponsors would require of me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
so what your saying is that, basically, you are your sponsor, because of how you got to where you are. (Sounds confusing, but makes sense to me lmao) Sounds like the perfect plan, best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
yea basically. you have to do something amazing with your car and be product worthy before any company will think about you even.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.