Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I got nailed going 95 in a 65 today..
I was going about 85 really but the asshole cop using no radar,
(you are allowed to speculate in california I guess)
said he "paced" me around 95...

WTF?

anyone gotten a ticket in recent months have any advice??
Its been a few years for me and I'm not sure the best way to go about this.

anyone know what those tickets cost? 300-400-500??
I guess its not reckless since i wasnt cited for it so there is no possibility for suspension or anything right??

****!

should i fight it?
his word against mine... I dont see how I can win and I hear that anything 25mph and over you cant do traffic school to get points removed??

anyone have any stories or helpful advice for me?

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeAH especially in the temecula murrieta area eh?
thanks bro, you saved my life...
:eek:

my ex step-dad (who i dont talk to anymore) was captain of Temecula PD all through my days in highschool so I never had to deal w/ this s**t before now... anywhere in riverside county I'm still golden..

I live in menifee now but this whole thing took place down in San Diego this afternoon... I'm f****d?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im thinking a ticket like that comes out to a rough 300 area...

I say fight it cuz you have a legit excusse....My friend won one like this the cop wasnt using radar....soo give it a try man. FIGHT IT!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Stick w/ the argument that "pacing" is in no way an accurate measurment of speed....although you were doing ...85...I dont know man...Id fight it!

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I had a similar ticket that was 500 bucks. He popped me with radar so it was legit.

Since there isn't any radar proof, and if you're not an honest person, while in court discuss the possibilities of speeding, but a much less charge than 95. Suggest 75-80 and claim that the cop probably had to punch it to 95 to catch up to you.....

Otherwise just bite the bullet and be honest. You got caught.

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
try this

wish they had this in wash state. guess you can force them to do everything throught the mail causing them way more in employee time and money than ticket is worth. so gets dropped. might be worth checking out. let us all know if ya use it. :) :) ;) ;)

http://www.ticketassassin.com/

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
As a Police Officer in CA, if you are caught speeing 25 mph OVER the posted speed limit, the Officer has the right to impound your car and bring you to jail to see the judge in the morning.

I can explain more, but everytime I do, the thread turns into Cop bashing and frankly, I'm tired of it. I try to help people out, and most know I'm not like the ones you encounter.

It all depends on the section, whether it was 22350 VC or 22349 VC. Different stretches of road fall under different sections.

Bash away.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Oh, and Toast88, pacing is still valid ccording to the calibration of the speedometer and the actual speed. Remember, its an approximation, not actual.

'Nuff said.

Bash away................................

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I would definitely challenge it in court. If you get lucky (which you won't) the cop won't show up and they will dismiss. At the very least the judge may knock it down.

To be honest, you are lucky. At 30+ over and doing 90+ that cop could have arrested you and impounded your vehicle. If he had radar and wasn't in a hurry, he probably would have.

Either way, take it to court and start saving your nickels. Fines vary county to county here in California. Usually, the more urban or metropolitan the county, the higher the fines. I would count on getting somewhere around a $500-$600 fine and a good possibility of multiple points on your license. Attempt to plea down the fee and more importantly the points. Those points will cost you a whole lot more in the long run.

Trust that you are getting this from someone who has been through it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Dangit Squirrel... as I was typing I was wondering if you were going to chime in. I guess I should have waited a couple of minutes.

Anyway... there you have it folks... straight from the horse's... err.. squirrel's mouth.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Dangit Squirrel... as I was typing I was wondering if you were going to chime in. I guess I should have waited a couple of minutes.

Anyway... there you have it folks... straight from the horse's... err.. squirrel's mouth.
Sorry mang. I know, I should be in bed since I have to be back in Federal Court in the morning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thankyou all for the advice I think I got the details of what happened down good enough.
I am going to admit to speeding which I was but get the mph straight..
no ** enter profanity here** way am I going down on bogus estimation. I KNOW I wasnt at no 95 going uphill in my 4 banger fully stock automatic.
Forget that.
I passed up truck that was dropping gravel and was in the number 3 lane and when the red and blue lights were going off behind my I looked down to check my speed to see I was 80-85 (xb speedometer is hard to read w/ in the 5mph range but it was not at 95mph thats for sure... I got no problem w/ the fine but i need to be able to go to drivers school to get this off the record. thats primary focus behind the appearance in court.

squirrel I appreciate your take if you have any suggestions or ideas on the best approach.
A respectful one, obviously to take in court.
do i even qualify for drivers school??
I was reading @ 25mph+ you are not eligible??
is that true?

as I said before My ex step dad was a captain in our small city in 95.
I have much respect for the law and had this been in riverside county I wouldnt have to deal with this.
I have never had traffic tickets before let alone have to go in front of a judge in my life. So I would be appreciative to what works or doesnt from your viewpoint in stating a case or taking a stand to get the speed reduced.

understand if you dont wanna hear the cop bashing so if you wanna pm me I would be ever grateful to you.

Unfortunately now I cant and wont turn to my ex step dad, as with many cops he turned to the darkside... hey it happens. Deal with the armpit of the world long enough you can start to get a jaded view of the world and people in general. nothing was ever good enough and he was very critical, mentally abusive and workaholic he cheated on my mom and we kicked his arse out of the house. So I refuse to go to him for assistance though his heavy guilt would pull strings that would probably get me off the hook for much more severe crimes.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Maybe you can explain why you were speeding. Inform the judge about the added risk/probability of your windshield getting hit by a gravel falling from that truck. and that our windsheilds are prone to crack when hit by rocks and debris. iono, maybe it will help...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think you should admit to going faster than the limit...around 80-85.....and let him know you were passing a truck, and also let him know that it take 500000 minutes for our cars to get to 95 mph.

Squirrel, no cop bashing here. Police are just doing their jobs and protecting people. I've had all good experiences with State Troopers in TX.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Maybe you can explain why you were speeding. Inform the judge about the added risk/probability of your windshield getting hit by a gravel falling from that truck. and that our windsheilds are prone to crack when hit by rocks and debris. iono, maybe it will help...
I wonder if that would work. I'd give it a shot.

·
Registered
283 Posts
wish they had this in wash state. guess you can force them to do everything throught the mail causing them way more in employee time and money than ticket is worth. so gets dropped. might be worth checking out. let us all know if ya use it. :) :) ;) ;)

http://www.ticketassassin.com/
I've used that service 4 times. I only lost once, but that wasn't my ticket. I was helping out my uncle, but he couldn't really give me much info, so we sent out a letter that was kinda vague & I guess that the trooper actually responded back & my uncle lost. Heh. Oh well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Speeding Tickets

Here in Florida you can sign up for this Driving School thing and wipe the ticket
off, which is great because that takes the points off for insurance purposes. Perhaps your state might have something like that.

PS I just had the Wade Sun Visors put on and also did my first oil change with
Mobil 1 synthetic thanks to the good advise of this forum!

Lois - with a wonderful xB Conversion... :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.