Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday all my highs and mids just shut off.no dash speakers no doors no nothing.the only sound coming out is from my subs.it is really weird and i have no clue what to do?does anyone have an idea.rewire all the speakers again?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yesterday all my highs and mids just shut off.no dash speakers no doors no nothing.the only sound coming out is from my subs.it is really weird and i have no clue what to do?does anyone have an idea.rewire all the speakers again?

How is everything wired? All through amps or through the head unit? If through an amp, I would check to see if power was still going to the amp for the speakers...or if the inputs to the amp are still connected...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Couple of questions. Is it a stock head unit? Did they shut off while you were listening or did you notice they weren't working when you turned the system on? Is it possible the fade somehow was set to rear only? Is there any sound coming from them at all...a hum or a small crackle?

·
Registered
26 Posts
im a firm beleiver in WARRANTY!! so as long as it is under warranty just take it to the dealer and they will fix it for free :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
im a firm beleiver in WARRANTY!! so as long as it is under warranty just take it to the dealer and they will fix it for free :)
Excellent point Smithers

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a jensen touch screen deck and no all my door speakers have been replaces there all power acoustic.i just re ran all the wires for audio to the amp and it was shorted sum how.but they work now.but when i went to hook up mu subs the fuse blew.so now i need to get a new fuse.thanks for the advice

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I have a jensen touch screen deck and no all my door speakers have been replaces there all power acoustic.i just re ran all the wires for audio to the amp and it was shorted sum how.but they work now.but when i went to hook up mu subs the fuse blew.so now i need to get a new fuse.thanks for the advice
Damn shorts will get you every time! Glad it's gonna work our for you.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yeah.

WARNING!
Please disconnect your battery at ANY time you are unplugging/plugging wires. Even speaker connections. Yes, it's anal, but it'll save you if for some reason power is being fed through.

In order of most importance, to check for shorts:
POSITIVE LEAD FROM BATTERY.

1: Start in the engine bay. Easiest place to get one, especially if you had to drill a hole to run the positive wire.
2: Check from the inside where you ran the positive wire. If it sits in a sharp surface any bump, pothole, shimmy, shake, rattle and roll can move the wire enough to slit the shielding.

3: Trace the positive lead to the amplifier. While at the amplifier, make sure ALL wires are connected correctly, and no strays are hanging out of the connection point.

NEGATIVE LEAD FROM AMP:

1: Check the connection at the amp. Trace to where you have the negative grounded to. FYI, if at all possible, this wire should never exceed 1 foot. Typically the shortest ground possible gives best amplification "breathing."

SPEAKER WIRES

1: Start from your amplifier. Check all the shielding on the wires to make sure they haven't crossed or been slit in any way. if not using stock wire location, jump to #4

2: If utilizing the stock wiring behind the headunit, make sure everything is clean, and not crossed. Butt connectors work best.

3: Still if utilizing stock wiring, check from there to the speakers and make sure all connections are secure.

4: Trace from the amp to the speakers, and make sure all connections are secure and no strays at connection points are exposed.

HTH.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
(OT: One of my techs used to have a small sign above his workbench: "Shorts lengthened while you wait.")

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.