Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to buy new speakers for my stock system, what are the speaker sizes?
any links on how to install them, like taking out the plastic without me screwing up my new car?
do i need an amp?
i want nicer sound, but i dont care for heart stopping bass.

ok thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I've noticed some threads with folks that have installed door speakers and rear speakers on top of the factory grill. Does this accommodate a deeper speaker?

Laz

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yes, you can get about an extra inch if you mount on TOP of the grille. However, in my opinion, it looks horrible. If you're gonna do that, PLEASE fiberglass over it.

Otherwise, I think the speakers are as follows: 2" in the dash, they're pretty tiny, pop the grilles and look.

I was told that 5.25" would fit in the doors, I'm sure 6.5" would as well.

Again with the back, same thing as above.

·
Registered
108 Posts
3 1/2 in the dash. Front door 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 depending on depth. Rear is 6 1/2. And YES an amp would help with sound quality and volume.

·
3,453 Posts
I have the dash speakers out of my car, they aren't 3.5's. I'll edit this with pics in a second.

As you can see, the mounting brackets are around 5" apart. You can fit 4" speakers in the area. You might be able to squeeze a 5.25" in there

The second pic here is to show the width of the speakers' mounting bracket
It's about 3"

Now, from speaker surround to speaker surround, it's right about 2.25" or so. I know Scion says 3.5" but they're not 3.5's

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whoa great job man.
how about the front and back speakers?
did u rip those out yet?
if you did that would be great.
dash, front, and rear speakers. measure them, take pics, and you have a perfect sticky for Audio / Security / Video forum.
we shall bow down to boombox

·
3,453 Posts
No, I haven't done that yet. Here's why: The front speakers are actually RIVETED in place, so they need to be drilled out, to make use of the mounting location.

I think the backs are just bolted in, but I haven't pulled it apart yet.

I didn't do that yet because the speakers are pretty good for stocks. I installed my Legendary Circa 99 Orion 500.4 amplifier to the stocks and the SQ instantly upped by at least 40%. Because of that alone, I just left them in.

I'm also VERY picky with the audio I put in my car. I haven't found much to rival the quality and durability of Pre-DEI Orion products, and you can say I'm stuck in the past. In my opinion, anything now owned by DEI, that was previously owned by A/D/S/T, which includes Orion and PPI, oh, A/D/S too.....Is junk. I purchased one of the DEI built Orion 600D amps and the response was sloppy....That's my opinion though, and I've rambled long enough.

As soon as it warms up, I'll be more than happy to do a FULL write-up of the speakers in the box, sizes that could fit, and recommendations.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
^^^ Same here, all my speakers are stock. I have a 12" and Headunit. With a good headunit, the stock speakers sound awesome to me and others that have sat in it. First get a good headunit, stock speakers can be tuned to sound great! Even without an extra amp.

·
3,453 Posts
I kept the stock unit because I had the amps lying around. I also got used to using the stock unit and it's super simple to deal with.

I will upgrade at some point, but I need to find the right price:performance ratio among DVD players that are dual din.

I've talked about it before, and I'll say it again; I had a fully decked out Accord - everywhere from 3 amps to 6 with all types of aftermarket speakers. I wouldn't have kept the stocks in this car if they were junk.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good points BoomBox, I agree with you on everything u said. Thanks for the pics and info.

·
3,453 Posts
No prob, just doing my best to help the Scion (xB) community.

We're all family, because we all chose to be different, yet we're all so much the same.

I consider 98% of the people on this site close friends, though I haven't met 99% of you.

I say 98% because there's always going to be those.....Bad apples.

·
Registered
4 Posts
your speaker sizes if you haven't already been told is a 6 1/2 actually the size is an oversized 6 1/2. if you dont really want to change anything use a pioneer shallow mount 6 it sounds descent and has almost no mounting depth to it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I just replaced all my speakers in my car to MB quart and this is what I had to buy.

4" Will fit in the dash. i used 3.5 MB 2 ways with a custom fab piece made from ABS plastic.

Doors are 6.5"
I bought 6.5" Components up front using the element Design Speaker Bracket to push the speaker out from hitting the window when rolled down.
I mounted the tweeters on the mirror covers just above the door panel. I drilled into them and mounted it with 2 smied all screws.

Rear is 5.25" speakers. However I made some Brackets for 6.5" Component Speakers and pushed it out 1" and modified the stock panel just a little but so the speaker doesnt hit it. Bracket made with MDF wood. Kind of the same like the element design brackets for the front. The tweeter I drilled a hole in the panel just under the speaker and mounted the tweeter flush.

Took me about 2 days to do everything and sounds awesome...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Ill try to get pics of everything again.. I need to pull some stuff out to redo some wiring for my amp so I will take pics of how everything looks...

·
3,453 Posts
Sounds good Solara! Thanks for helping me clear things up!

If you can, measure the speakers from the front and rears. Screw hole to screw hole.................That sounded bad....

Also, from speaker surround to speaker surround. This helps me in designing systems for people in the xB platform.

·
3,453 Posts
A lot of times, with the right components, stock speakers from any car will sound pretty good. Granted, we're not talking audiophile quality, but with the correct crossover setups and frequency tweaks, you can make stock speakers sound really good. I've got mine tweaked with my orion 500.4 and my clarion 5band EQ to rattle the rearview and scream like wildfire. I get compliments from people on the excellent clarity my system puts out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.