Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the specs on how much to torque the spark plugs and the sparkplug gaps???? thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
does anyone know the specs on how much to torque the spark plugs and the sparkplug gaps???? thanks

The gap should be in the owners manual.

I know the torque for the Echo (same engine) is 13 ft lbs (184 kgf cm). I cannot say 100% that it is correct for the xB, but I am 95% sure it is correct.

Can anyone else put in their two cents?

·
Registered
454 Posts
the gap according to my info is .031in, but I know there was a debate on the actual gap. My info isn't always correct so anyone? lol

the torque is 13ft-lbs, at least according to a shop manual.

·
Registered
611 Posts
if you buy iridium plugs..you dont hae to worry about the gap...same with platinum tip plugs...and you get better performance
what kind of performance difference's are noticed when you do iridium and platinum plugs. and if you run these how often are you changing them out? what's the interval change times for these?

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
From what I hear it's minimal. Not to give hp gains, but something like maybe an hp tops. Basically, you get a 'more explosive' spark from them...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
copper is going to give you the coldest spark which means the most possible bang. an Iridium or platinum are a hotter plug and don't give as much bang. Now this "bang" difference is minimal at best. Copper is only about a 30k plug and is oem. Iridium you can run for about 70k and platinum you can run for 100k. I just threw in some coppers because they are the cheapest and best (in my opinion).

·
Banned
78 Posts
i noticed a considerable difference in the idle quality and acceleration with the addition of NGK iridium plugs...maybe its the placebo effect...but in my mind..it was worth the 24 bucks and am very pleased with the improvments

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Or the others were so worn out it was an improvement.

·
Registered
368 Posts
if you buy iridium plugs..you dont hae to worry about the gap...same with platinum tip plugs...and you get better performance
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I checked my iridiums, all 4 for gap straight outta the box ( just old habit from years of working on cars) found [email protected],[email protected],[email protected],[email protected]
Always check your gap:) these were NGK

the manual calls for between 28 and 31,44 is what NGK iridiums ask for ( I think thats what their site said, old man= bad memory, thats why iridiums for me currently) remember that the plug gap does change the timing ( ever so slightly)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know that this thread is a couple of months old, but I just changed my plugs today and I checked the old (factory plugs) just out of curiousity, and they were gapped to .045 or so. I gapped the new ones to about .035 (the owner's manual calls for .032 or something). Anyone else's factory plugs seem to have an overly large gap? I just wonder if this is a more ideal setting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know that this thread is a couple of months old, but I just changed my plugs today and I checked the old (factory plugs) just out of curiousity, and they were gapped to .045 or so. I gapped the new ones to about .035 (the owner's manual calls for .032 or something). Anyone else's factory plugs seem to have an overly large gap? I just wonder if this is a more ideal setting.
This is somewhat normal on plugs with a buch of miles on them.. the gap increases as they get hot.., after so many thousands of times expanding and contracting, they wind up loosing thier original gap and expand.. thats why people feel a difference when replacing old plugs.. its mainly due to improving the gap.

On a side note, "indexing" your plugs is also another thing to do while your changing them. It's not a "feelable" gain, but aiming the spark directly at your intake valves provides a hair more of a bigger bang.. bigger bang ='s bigger performance, but those are microscopic gains.. I believe still worth doing while your there..

·
Registered
869 Posts
the platnum plugs are nice kuz you dont gap them. i replaced mine at 35k. the only gains i saw where better gas mileage and smoother idel and it does have a little more torque than before. the aceleration is the same but for $8 at wal-mart, its not too bad.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Isn't the gap listed on the emissions tag under the hood? Platinum is better than copper. Hotter spark more efficient combustion and potentially less fouling of the plugs. A good platinum plug should last 100,000 miles, check them every 50,000.
Whats this talk about a placebo effect? A guy I knew took the muffler off his car and said it had more horsepower. I asked him how he could tell. He said cause it sounded louder. You know what he was right...it did sound louder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.