Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im sitting at about 30k and i was wondering and examining spark plugs... as quoted by a workerbee at auto zone "+4 more harder/spark combustion and +2 medium spark combustion and 1 is your stock" but my question is if any is running +4 and if so any slight power improvements?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok well if you say so then im sure i will go wit it but if there are any other tips list em please thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
First of all the people at Autozone, Pepboys, etc. dont know jack. Really, they dont. If your car is stock, just run your oem plugs. At 30k miles they should still be pretty good. If you want to upgrade, go one or 2 steps colder or something.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oooooooo nice tip....but im sure im gonna have to up the spark since i have pullies, headers, CAI, and a full custom cat

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and since i have to change them anyway i might just go 1 or 2 higher

·
Registered
179 Posts
bbRydr said:
and since i have to change them anyway i might just go 1 or 2 higher
I tend to stay away from that platinum crap. Platinum is for rappers, not for our cars. I always use either copper racing plugs or the Denso Iridiums (a step colder).

Check on Denso or NGK's site. You can contact them to see which plugs will work for your car and tell them you want a colder plug.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
rollhard said:
I tend to stay away from that platinum crap. Platinum is for rappers, not for our cars. I always use either copper racing plugs or the Denso Iridiums (a step colder).

Check on Denso or NGK's site. You can contact them to see which plugs will work for your car and tell them you want a colder plug.
I use the NGK's on all of my stuff and they are generally cheaper (in price) than champion or some other populars.

·
Registered
179 Posts
ShortBus said:
I use the NGK's on all of my stuff and they are generally cheaper (in price) than champion or some other populars.
Yeah, I like either NGK or Denso. I always use the NGK R copper race plugs on my mr2. They dont last nearly as long as the platinum stuff but they are much better conductors. I change them every 5k miles or every 2 oil changes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Going to a hotter plug is generally a no no. You always want to run the coolest plug that will work in your engine. The guys are right about using a copper plug if you are more interested in getting more spark. The platinum and other long life plugs are just that, made of a more durable metal so the plugs will last longer between changes. A copper plug should last 25K miles under normal use in an engine that is running well, not burning oil or running rich. Most people who know and want more performance from their plugs run the copper plugs. My preference is NGK and I also like the Bosch plugs. I don't know much about the Denso plugs so I can't comment there. I always stay away from US made plugs whenever posssible. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
NEVER EVER EVER EVER use any of that fancy crap. Platinum this and +4 that, it's all BS.

Unless your engine is turboed or supercharged you will never need to change the heat range on your plugs, just use the stock heat range.

And as far as plug choice goes, only get the base model plugs. Bosch Super or basic NGK Coppers are your best bet for spark plugs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.