Scion xB Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm running into a problem doing my 10mm spacer install on the rear of my Xb.

I spoke with Ichiba and they said I would need to remove the drum and swap out the lug bolts. Cool, no big deal really. Well we got into it and got the drum off, then go the original bolts out, but now we can't get the new ones in.

I have removed the 4 bolts from behind the break set up, which is what I was assuming would hold the hub on, but to no avail we can't get the hub off.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks they have used to get them off? Special tool(s) even?

Everyone I have spoke to has said that with the type of spacer I bought that I need to obviously swap out the bolts so I can't get away with not doing it. Any help and advice is appreciated. Once I tackle this it sounds like I'm going to have to roll my fenders so that is on the docket next.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not a rear hub spacer. If you look up Ichiba spacers you will see.

The bolts we are replacing are the actual wheel stud bolts. The spacer installs in front of the brake drum.

We are attempting to remove the hub to install the longer studs as there is no room to put them in while it's on.

Not even sure removing the brakes will allow enough clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
so your adding a slip on spacer and need longer studs. The hub does NOT need to come off. If you look there will be a notch that needs to be lined up with the stud and it comes out just fine with a few taps of a hammer.

---------- Post added 07-22-2015 at 04:32 PM ----------

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-xb-suspension/40863-diy-replacing-wheel-studs.html

heres a DIY for the front, but the rear is similar

---------- Post added 07-22-2015 at 04:33 PM ----------

DIY: Longer rear wheel studs - Scionlife.com

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found that rear DIY after the fact. Haven't tried it yet but plan to tomorrow hopefully. Had I known it was such a PITA I would have just bought staggered wheels.

---------- Post added 07-22-2015 at 09:29 PM ----------

So we have everything unhooked and even took the brakes off and we still can't get the hub off! I'm at a loss guys. This has become extremely frustrating. We've followed the DIY, watched videos, and can't seem to figure out why the hub won't move.

Any other ideas or tricks you guys know? The ABS unit is plastic so it's not like we can hit it from behind. We even tried a homemade puller/tool and couldn't get it to budge.

This is one of my last mods and I just want to get my car wrapped up. Annoyed to the point I may take it to a shop, get it done, and sell the car LOL.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
put the four bolts back in that hold the hub on. leave the a few turns loose. Put a the wheel back and and torque it up. Next sit on your butt facing the wheel. with the bottom of both feet KICK the wheel on one side, then the opposite, top then bottom and repeat. Eventually the hub will loosen up and your good to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good tip. We used a custom tool that my mechanic has that bolts up to the hub and you slam a weight towards the back end. Even that didn't work for us!!

We may have to try this though and see what happens. The tip is much appreciated man.

I'll be sure to post some pics of the car's stance once we get this done.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I live in new england and the winters wreck havoc on our cars. Ive done a few hub spacer installs and thats how we had to get the hub loose every sing time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Absolutely 0 luck on this.

I've given up and will be taking the car to a shop next week to get this done.

Thanks the tips guys, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lugs where to long to get behind to just swap out.

We finally got it done but I have since sold my XB

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had BONOSS wheel spacers on my car for almost 21,000 miles, with no issues whatsoever.
Maybe next time you can try what I installed.

They can customize the thickness and data that I want, so that I can install new tires with different data, and the customization time is very fast, just 1~3 days.
They have aluminum alloy 7075-T6 and 6061-T6 options. 7075-T6 will be more expensive but better in quality. In fact, 6065-T6 is good enough. Its tensile strength, yield strength and elongation can support our normal use. And its lugs are grade T10, studs are forged grade 12.9.

Here is an article introducing spacers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts