Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best sound deading mat on the market for the money. The toaster is just too thin and loud to even hear the radio on some roads. One of my neighbors says that Hush mat is better in quality and thinner. I just have no clue on this subject.

Could someone please help with some insight.:confused:

·
HORNBLASTER
446 Posts
u can use dynamat make sure u get the extreme dynamat :cool: dont get the original dynamat u have to heat it up too make it stick . We use dynamat at the stereo shop i work at it works good stops metal from vibrating . Just make sure u clean the surface real well before u stick it down . dynamate extreme has a silver backin thats the stuff u want :D

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there an other brands of sound deading that I should look into? Like brown bread and son on.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
edesign is the best by far! if you're interested in it, talk to Chris Schemp there and tell him Scotty sent ya. hes a good guy and can hook ya up.

scotty

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
EDEAD on 2 cars now. The thicker stuff is a bit more difficult to install, but the thinner stuff does fine. Adding 50 lbs of weight to the car.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I put up a pic of the beginning of my edead install on the RS4. All the doors are done thus far. I did inside of the outter door skin and the inner door behind the door panels

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would say edead if want cheap and good but if you dont mind spending extra then go Dynamat Xtreme.

I know from personal experience on my xB and my friends he put Dynamat Xtreme and I used edead in same areas.

The dynamat Xtreme was a little bit better not a huge difference but a little bit better. but for the money the edead V1SE is great about half the price of dynamat Xtreme.

and the sound deadener showdown web site is old as far as the edead v1se goes they used the old version they now have a version two of the V1SE which is alot better.

·
Registered
454 Posts
All the stuff mentioned before this post will work great. Just remember to get the full effect as well as best results. Use multiple layers, and you have to sound deaden everything. Flooring, all doors and as much paneling as possible. I will tell you right now, it's very time consuming and can get expensive, but it's worth it. I only deadend my trunk area and it's better but I still have to do my doors and what not.

I used Dynomat Extreme, I would suggest using only extreme from dynomat, all the other stuff from dynomat isn't as good in my opinion. eDead is another choice. I have plenty of elemental designs stuff in the car and so far, I am really impressed with the customer service/attitude towards customers/and just over all quality. If I had to do it again I would have bought edead. . . infact when I get enough money that's what I'll be doing. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
this guy did a pretty good job doing his own independent tests
take a good look at the results before you make a decision
This write up is excellent, it points to butyl based sheet products as being superior in general. I used RaaMmat http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr&cert=252efa6612ba44b2ca598daafcdaca2e
Found it easy to work with and high quality. I applied 1 layer all over floor and trunk areas and inside doors, 1/4 panels, and tailgate. It made a big difference (I think it works at least as well as dynamat extreme as far as sound deadning goes....I have used it also). More layers would likely work even better but this stuff is heavy, so in deference to MPG I put only 1 layer. I have used Dynamat in the past and found it works good but does not stay in place well over time in heat. It loostened on vertical surfaces. Raammat sticks way better and according to the tests above butyl (which raammat is) is less effected by heat. It also is not particularly expensive at $120 for a big roll. (I used a little bit more than 1 roll in my xB..... used about 10% of the second roll (the rest will go into my next project).

·
Registered
454 Posts
I believe the new dynomat extreme is butyl based along with the new edead v2. It's a good starting point, but that article is a little old. It's good for info but products have been getting better since that article was put out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I believe the new dynomat extreme is butyl based along with the new edead v2. It's a good starting point, but that article is a little old. It's good for info but products have been getting better since that article was put out.
Dynamat Extreme is indeed now butyl based. It costs $125 for 9 pieces 18x32" (5100 square inches), by comparison the Raammat is 15"x 50 feet (9000 inches) for $119. Are they truely comparable sound deadning wise?? Is the Dynamat worth almost twice as much??

·
Registered
454 Posts
True, like I said earlier any of the aforementioned products would be fine. I'm just stating what I used. I've never used anything but Fatmat and Dynomat extreme. Price wise I know you're paying for the name, I was just stating that the new stuff is butyl based not asphalt. Didn't wanna start any arguements over price and whatnot. In fact I also said I'd be using eDead next time, cause elemental designs stuff is good and price wise it right up there. There really hasn't been any real good tests done recently that I know of. That being said I'm not arguing just telling what I used. I didn't mind paying the price, cause in the auto industry, as you know, most of the time you get what you pay for. lol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
True, like I said earlier any of the aforementioned products would be fine. I'm just stating what I used. I've never used anything but Fatmat and Dynomat extreme. Price wise I know you're paying for the name, I was just stating that the new stuff is butyl based not asphalt. Didn't wanna start any arguements over price and whatnot. In fact I also said I'd be using eDead next time, cause elemental designs stuff is good and price wise it right up there. There really hasn't been any real good tests done recently that I know of. That being said I'm not arguing just telling what I used. I didn't mind paying the price, cause in the auto industry, as you know, most of the time you get what you pay for. lol.
Didnt think you were argueing:) Neither am I. Just pointing out some data to help peeps make an educated decision. What i didn't like about hte asphalt dynamat i used before (besides that it can fall off) is that it was a bit stiff and hard to work with, dunno about their butyl haven't tried that (but then I am unlikely to spend $500 to deaden my car either).

·
Registered
679 Posts
for the guys that have already done this, how much would i need to cover my entire car? i'm talking all four doors, rear hatch, floor, pillars and maybe even roof.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think scionlife has several write ups on this, I believe they go as far to say how much. I know the most recent was done by a guy who works at elemental designs, his walk through was probably the most comprehensive cause he even deadend the plastic paneling. You might want to search over there. I believe I heard it's about 120 sq ft from somewhere.

TerribleTed. . .lol @me. It's hard to tell when people are angry/argumentative or being cool on the internet. I'm used to listening to people's vocal intonation when they talk. So I try to be very up front about where I am coming from, so with that lol @me again. :) But I agree Dynomat is expensive, but the butyl stuff I worked with was really easy. Only problem is the same problem with all the other stuff. . .
1. wear gloves the tin the companies use can easily cut your hands
2. sharp pair of shears. The deadeners are thick but a nice pair of scissors are your best friends. lol
3. Money, gotta have it. No matter which company you go with it's gonna cost. I believe a rough estimate I heard was about 120 sq ft. I also think this was only one layer.
4. Before applying, clean surfaces. Make them free from dust and anything that might keep it from adhearing.
5. Tempurature is a big thing too, if it's too cold the deadener might not bend or apply as well. If it's too hot you might end up drinking too much water then having to go to the bathroom every five minutes. . . j/k
6. get a roller. Dynomat makes one, but your local art store with silk screening supplies will have one that works too.

There are other products out there that can be combined or used alone. From what I can tell the combination of products works the best. There are plastic panel deadeners, liquid deadeners, heat shield/deadener, and I think a few others. In anycase, check out some audio forums like 12volt.com or icixsound.com Just check out the postings or search. They might help you a little more. I know there are a few people on icixsound who helped me out, and one of the guys is a complete audiofile and has an xB also. Good luck for anyone and everyone who deadens the car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.