Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a softer ride on my xB. The rear shocks are too stiff. I've heard that Monroe makes a replacement. Has Anyone used them?

·
Registered
325 Posts
2" drop Goldline springs smoothed mine right out (still using the stock shocks).

·
Registered
309 Posts
i dont think the monroe shocks do much for comfort they dampen the bounce a bit and make it feel smoother but it still bounces albeit smoother bouncing. i can see how many people say they feel a huge improvement, as it deals with mild bumps well but on nasty pavement and brick paved roads feels like a jackhammer in your back. i do alot of driving in the nj/nyc area theres potholes i can lie down in.

i think the springs will make a bigger difference in ride comfort, felt more comfortable when i changed to h techs. btw how are the tein basics or tanabe coilovers compared to h techs in terms of ride comfort ?

getting tired of people honking at me, cutting me off and giving me the finger cuz i gotta drive 3 mph over rough pavement and railroad tracks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone ever tried running 14" wheels? I have been thinking about it. Taller side wall, more flex, smoother ride. Not into the big wheel thing like some of you. The early Prius had some wheels that look just like the xb alloys.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Smaller than 15 inch wheels would likely make a difference in ride that could not even be felt. Once you get sidewall heights over a certain amount little of no difference in ride is felt by making them higher still. the difference between 17" (factory option) wheels and 15" stock wheels is very small but noticable(I drove both checking ride quality before I bought my car). From 15 to 14 inch i bet you would NOT be able to tell the difference in ride but I bet the handling would suffer from the extra sidewall deflection of the taller tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Smaller than 15 inch wheels would likely make a difference in ride that could not even be felt. Once you get sidewall heights over a certain amount little of no difference in ride is felt by making them higher still. the difference between 17" (factory option) wheels and 15" stock wheels is very small but noticable(I drove both checking ride quality before I bought my car). From 15 to 14 inch i bet you would be able to tell the difference in ride but I bet the handling would suffer from the extra sidewall deflection of the taller tires.
It wasn't that long ago that cars the same size and weight as the xb had 13" wheels, so I don't think handling would suffer much. Heck, a stock xb doesn't handle that well anyway. You might notice it if you were racing.

ctruss said:
If you want to try smaller wheels but still want to do it in style, check out www.tunershop.com
Thanks. Tirerack has a couple of decent looking wheels too.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTed
Smaller than 15 inch wheels would likely make a difference in ride that could not even be felt. Once you get sidewall heights over a certain amount little of no difference in ride is felt by making them higher still. the difference between 17" (factory option) wheels and 15" stock wheels is very small but noticable(I drove both checking ride quality before I bought my car). From 15 to 14 inch i bet you would be able to tell the difference in ride but I bet the handling would suffer from the extra sidewall deflection of the taller tires.

Damnit You Would likely----> NOT <----be able to feel difference in ride between 15 and 14" wheels. the handling difference would be very small as well and likely not noticable (but would be in a negative direction). The long and short of it is that going smaller than the factory 15" dimension is kinda pointless, unless you just have to have that BIG tire on a dinky wheel look.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Quote:
Damnit You Would likely----> NOT <----be able to feel difference in ride between 15 and 14" wheels.
It's not something to get upset about. Trust me. :)

the handling difference would be very small as well and likely not noticable (but would be in a negative direction).
Not important to me.

The long and short of it is that going smaller than the factory 15" dimension is kinda pointless, unless you just have to have that BIG tire on a dinky wheel look.
If you feel insulting me makes you more credible, go for it. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Did not mean any insult to anyone. I just could not personally justify spending money to go to a smaller wheel to gain nothing but just the slightest change in look. I typed incorrectly in the post you quoted i said you would feel a difference but ment to type would not. I also had no way that i could think of to describe a big tire small wheel look...it is really opposit of what most people do, and the look difference between even a 15 and a 13 would be minimal as both have big tire and "dinky wheel".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did not mean any insult to anyone. I just could not personally justify spending money to go to a smaller wheel to gain nothing but just the slightest change in look. I typed incorrectly in the post you quoted i said you would feel a difference but ment to type would not. I also had no way that i could think of to describe a big tire small wheel look...it is really opposit of what most people do, and the look difference between even a 15 and a 13 would be minimal as both have big tire and "dinky wheel".
I believe posting on a forum can be a little confusing sometimes. I stated I was interested in going to a 14" wheel for a better ride quality. I don't care how it looks and I don't care how you think it looks, (yeah, I could comment on how I think the paint job on your xb "looks" but it doesn't matter to me. It's your car!). People are so caught up in how their car looks, they lower it to the point it has almost no suspension left, then they put big wheels on it. Not very practical is it? I watch them bounce down the freeway all the time. But that's the "look" they want and they're willing to deal with the operational characteristics to get that "look". I don't drive a car because of how it "looks". If I did, I never would have bought an xb. When I bought it, I thought they were ugly and it took me awhile to get used to it. There were some features on the xb I couldn't overlook. At 6'7" I can fit in it. I can fold the rear seats down and haul lots of stuff, right now with the past windstorm in WA that's 3 chainsaws. Next week it'll be something different. It's much more economical than my 3/4 ton pickup, my El Camino or my vintage Datsun. It affords more weather protection than my Honda motorcycle.

Do I care how my xb looks? No! If it's not all dirty, dented or scratched up, I think it "looks" good.

Understand that not everyone is seeking approval from others on how their car "looks". I got over that 25 years ago when I got out of highschool.

;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I did understand that look was irrelevent to your needs. But look is the only reason anyone should consider going smaller than a 15" tire because the ride and handling difference will be minimal if even noticable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did understand that look was irrelevent to your needs. But look is the only reason anyone should consider going smaller than a 15" tire because the ride and handling difference will be minimal if even noticable.
Then you have run 14" wheels and tires on an xb?

Which brings me back to my first post.

fuzzle said:
Has anyone ever tried running 14" wheels?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.