Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who makes a good one, and did you see any inprovment with it, gas mpg go up or down Brett:eek:

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I have a DC Sports header. It's ceramic coated so there's no real worries with heat. It's also a 4-1 design, so I gain a bit more on the higher end.

I would have been happy with any header as long as it has a namebrand, yes even the 4-2-1 headers.

As for gas mileage, this is my first tank after the mod added, so I'm still in 'test' stages for average mpg....However, it doesn't seem to have affected it much.

Added a nice lower growl in my exhaust, and you can tell it's there when you hit the gas on the highway.

·
Registered
373 Posts
whats the difference between 4-2-1 and 4-1 headers, besides the design? it seems people are always ripping on 4-2-1 headers, but i dont understand whats wrong with them.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Nothing's wrong with them. The design is different dependent on where you want most of your power to be located on the powerband.

From my understanding, 4-2-1 designed headers typically give the maximum power on the lower end of the rpm range (take-off) so people who feel they need more off the line hp and tq get that one.

4-1 designed headers on the other hand give maximum power higher up on the rpm range (highway passing) so people that want a more responsive motor at higher speeds get that one.

I don't have experience with the 4-2-1s. They're not a bad header either. It's just depends on where you want your power at.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
DC sports header is very good. I have a Strup header its polished stainless rather than ceramic coating but otherwise looks very similar to the DC header. If I was going to get a header now I would get the DC sport because it is CARB certified, I dont think any other brands are ok for on road use in California.

·
-[bB SQUAd]-
606 Posts
i've only heard good things about dc headers and the strup headers. i myself got a set of alpha-werks headers and i am very happy with them. it made my exhaust sound much nicer. the guys at alpha-werks told me that it is carb-exempted for cali... yay for us in cali. it's a 4-1 header aswell as the dc and strup. the only ones that i know of that are 4-2-1 are the MMW ones and the OBX ones.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im hoping I pas smog 0 cuz i dont want to ut those banged up pea shooters back on my wreck. Greddy is a 4 to 1 - so you have all four out takes going straight in to 1 fatty. less "resistance" than 4 - 2 - 1, youd need a dyno and both types to know for sure.
The added growl is nice ! At most I noticed about 100 - 200 RPM lower at the same speed I drove @ before the bolt ons. In short - 1 to 2 miles an hour faster - for the same RPM. ( output ). doesnt seem like much - unless youre behind me for a couple of hours. and 2 miles up the road.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have the Strup too and when it comes time to smog it I'll throw on the heat shield with a couple of home made brackets, and they will never see if it has been changed..... or..... throw on some rust colored BBQ paint and it'll look like the stock exhaust w/o the heat shield.....LOL

·
Registered
191 Posts
anyone have a stock exhaust with an aftermarket header??? does the exhaust sound any different that way? i am looking at getting the dc header...also does it void any factory warranty?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yah - I used to pass smog with my Honda Civic before - and that car had an afternarket Catalytic and magnaflow exhaust. I'm just taking mine to a cool shop. those engines run so efficient anyway - Im hoping all I have to change back is the Air box - if anything at all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well I went with the MMW Header and I love it. It also has the brackets for the stock heat shield. (but i didnt put it back on) here is a pic of the MMW Header vs the stock manifold, enjoy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
i didnt have a preferance, but when a deal of 125 for the alphawerks header came, i couldnt pass it up. i have intake header, and stock exhaust, oh yeah baby!

·
Registered
59 Posts
i know and that was shipped, so i couldnt really hae on it. the merge collector had some welding slag on it, but it was no prob to smooth out, i actually smoothed all the welds out. this price is way cheap sine we charge almost a g to build just a merge collector at work... i mean it is a lil different one off fab shop or production pieces. check out our work at m1fd.com

brent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.