Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the trendy or faddish thing to do in Cali now is to have a Japanese sedan built to look EXE/VIP. I should say EXE since most rides I've seen popping up are rather mild. Soooooo, what now? Drifting is over expanded and over marketed. possibly 3 series coming up next year. So it will go the way of import drag racing and become over popular as the local governments find ways to put a halt to it. Drifting needs to be more fun and less about how many racing series we can create. I remember speaking with Stephan Papdakis numerous times about his drag racing career. He told me that his team was going to the events that had the most money involved and the ones the made the most sense to travel too without going cross country every week. Seems drifting is heading the same route.
before, we got back into old school rims and older Hondas and Toyotas. Now, it's big body sedans. Geez, I wonder what in the world is next. What will be the next fad in Cali? The Honda Fit is resparking the JDM Honda craze, Scion is Scion and starting to slow down. And it's not to say those cars are being built cheap either. There is some money in those cars as most parts HAVE to be imported to get the "look". My car will be what it is and will not go away from any trend. That's what I like about the EXE/VIP xB's. they sort of don't fall into the "trend".

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I hear ya Jim!

I'm in CA, and my xB is the way I like it. I may change the lip kit, maybe go air in the future, and I will mount the 8.5s and 9.5s shortly.

Ever since I saw the bB Bibles, I knew how I wanted my xB to look.

And when a few of us started, everyone laughed!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah, I think the xB appeals to many because it doesn't really fit into any category. Once our gen xB is finally discontinued, I forsee it having the type of cult following VW bugs and buses have. From what I have seen of the new xB, it's just not gonna be the same :(

BTW, just curious, Jim, what kinda cars/style were you into before you got your xB?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I think we'll find another mediocre trend that will get downplayed and modernized. The whole fast and the furious ripped through a lot of the car scene. The whole drift thing ripped through the car scene. The whole VIP thing is ripping through other areas of modifying. (I believe the whole VIP trend went through the Scion community over a year ago). I think "JDM" is almost taking hte place of other modifying as we speak. (By JDM, I mean red wheels, tons of stickers, and an overall business to a car).

Honestly, I think "carbon fiber theme" will soon die out too, with increasing prices and limited supplies. Too many people get into carbon fiber pieces for the "look" and will see that its not worth it I think. Any body who owns a Scion xB and is getting the parts for weight saving purposes is a little ridiculous in my book. Especially when they rock leather seats, full interiors, big fiberglass kits, and more.

I think a lot of it will depend on what happens in movies in the next couple years. Being that we're tuners like we are (since we're on the site), I think we will remain with xBs (unlike drifters going VIP), and just modify them differently.

I agree that there will still be our cult following with the xB, and that things will progress, just in different ways. Thats nice about the xb, is because a lot of the core people will still remain.

The newly boughten Scions will fit with whatever theme is popular at the time, but a lot of the ones that have been with it for a while will stick with what theyve got. I know Im sticking with mine, but then again I fall under your EXE/VIP category. Being a tuner car, it has lots of options and thats what is great, so we can all be individualized. In our little Scion circle, god help us, I dont think things will get played out TOO badly, which is nice. (exc. camber and things like that).

Ill be interested to see what comes up next. As for our Scion circle, we're individual enough I dont know how bad it will affect us already here.

Scotty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.