Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanna hook em up soon, but im not sure if i wanna go to a pro place, or do it myself, all the places i called had atleast a week wait.. but i dunno if i wanna do it myself, cuz i wont have paperwork of professionals if somethin was to go wrong, and also should i plan on buyin a new deck, or is the pioneer 6disc plug and play?

·
Registered
276 Posts
the six disc s not going to be a plug and play. you are going to need an fm modulator in order to convert the fm waves to a rca out put. if you arent familiar with this then take it to a professional.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jpscion said:
the six disc s not going to be a plug and play. you are going to need an fm modulator in order to convert the fm waves to a rca out put. if you arent familiar with this then take it to a professional.
i was plannin on takin it to a pro anyways just for the warrenty issues i guess, but you think it would be worth gettin the fm modulator or should i just get a whole new deck, ive read in some posts that an aftermarket deck gives better sound through the stock speakers anyways?

·
Registered
276 Posts
completely depends on budget, cd player you get and what you have now.... say if you have the ipod upgrade now then it may not be worth the money to ttry and go aftermarket. If you have the plain cd player and go with a Quagimi (made up name) CD player then it may no be worth it either... If you are going to spend the money do it on quality parts and it will be worth it.. honestly though it also depends on the shop.. a modulator can run 20-80 installed while you can get a cd player for 150 and they may give free installation... completely up to your budget..

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The other option to have when hooking up subs to your factory deck is to use the wire harness from the factory option Bazooka sub. That can be purchased for about $50 and will make them plug and play. No cutting, splicing, or stripping necessary at the head unit.

Just clip off the end of the harness that goes to the amp in back and wire it in. Did that with my setup and it works great. No issues at all.

If you're interested in doing that, PM me and I'll hook you up.

-Alex

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't know if this is going to help or confuse you, I hope it helps. I have had subs in the car both ways, factory deck w/ subs, Aftermarket HU with subs, and aftermarket w/ components, Better subs and amp.

My results. . .
The factory headunit is good for the average driver. It was enough for me for about a year or so.

Aftermarket HU - Alpine 9855 - I spent a shiny penny on the HU and was pleasantly suprised. More adjustments, but I blew the factory speakers. . . rattle from hell at all volumes. The amp was a bazooka pro 250 with 2 jl 12w0

Aftermarket HU- Alpine 9855- with sps171a components, Alpine MRV-F545 amp, and 2 jl 10w1v2. Much more clear but not enough midbass for the music I listen to.

My conclusion. . .

Depending on what you listen to, and what you are going to do with the stereo, that should be the deciding factor. Personally, the stock speakers had better mid bass but weren't as clear as the alpines. It was a trade off for me. As soon as I put enough money together I might be going to a component system with 6.5 in woofers, mids and tweeters. If you're not insanely rich and/or you are the average guy, I'd suggest getting the subs with the stock stereo. Then find some people who have different set ups so you can hear the differences. Good luck, I hope I helped and didn't confuse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.