Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to go to Reno during the Christmas (I live in Sacramento), so I will be going uphills w/snow. Had anyone drove their xB up to a snow mountain before?? I m worry about my xb won't make it there. Any suggustion or experience you can share???

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
slowmo923 said:
I am planning to go to Reno during the Christmas (I live in Sacramento), so I will be going uphills w/snow. Had anyone drove their xB up to a snow mountain before?? I m worry about my xb won't make it there. Any suggustion or experience you can share???

Thanks
Buy chains before you come. Maybe you won't need them but IF you hit "Chain Controls" then it means either turn around or buy them from the "chain monkeys" (much more expensive). You want to save more money - practice putting the chains on yourself!

I live in Reno and will be going the other way.:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
slowmo923 said:

Thanks
I drove my Box all last year in the snow with no problems at all. Never had to use chains....but,if you drive up the hill, and it is snowing, you will hit chain control and they make you use chains/cables or you have to turn around. I would get the cable type because you can store them easier and they are quieter. A lot of places will refund your money if the chains/cables are not used and you return them.

Good luck!

·
mertechperformance
1,478 Posts
i've been up to tahoe many , many times , never been up when chains were needed but let me tell you with suspension mods and power mods the only people that passed me on my way up were two wrx's. no one else.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
^^ sounds like it. I live in Houston, so I don't have to deal with snow.

·
Registered
869 Posts
the best rule is to go slow....keep it under 35 mph throuh the heavy stuff...keep a far distance between other cars....plan your stops, and to slow down just downshif if you have a manual.....another trick is to deflate your tires like 5-10psi that helps alot.....when i had my old s-10 i had to do that and i never got stuck:cool:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just survived snowstorm in Lake Tahoe area over the weekend. The car is fine with snow and mountains. Just carry the chains just in case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I Thought The Owners Manual Says Not To Put Snow Chains On ( I Could Be Wrong Not 100% Sure) But I Was Wondering If So Why Not. I Went Up To Tahoe Also And Did Not Take Chains But The Box Was Fine

·
CAN I HAS CUSTOM TITLE?
169 Posts
so xb's are good in the snow becausae i was about to post asking the same question:eek:
They're not bad. The stock tires are so damn narrow that you'll slip quite a bit, but the traction control keeps it under control for the most part.

The only complaint I really have is the rear end tends to kick out when making some turns occasionally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.