Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by admitting to everyone that I'm a total noob when it comes to cars. I've never learned more about them than where the gas nozzle goes, and where my car payment goes. In fact, my new RS4 is the first time I've ever owned a New car. I've always been relegated to Used lots.

That out of the way, the only complaint I have about my new box is how bumpy the ride can be. I commute a long ways on L.A. freeways, and I know the local taxpayer isn't going to smooth the road out for me anytime soon. I'd like to get a softer, smoother ride. Maybe not as nice as my ol' Camry, but as good as I can get.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
410 Posts
hhhmm softer ride??? air bagss man air bagss. but if your on the bit unfortunate side like myself. i would go with the tanabe df210s. nice drop not too hard on the shocks and a decent ride with great stance. or keep it stock. decisions yours bro. hopes this helpz.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
i dont know how far you want to go with modifications. but heres some options.

1. Tein makes some great springs calle H-Tech. they offer a SUPERB ride quality while lowering the stance slightly as in 1.5 inch or so. as opposed to the Tein brans S-Tech. which a little more aggressive stance with a little less gearing toward the comfort level. s = sport tech h = high tech.

2. Monroe shocks like Ketchup said. A better than stock shock will always absorb the road differently.

3. Air bags, like jason said (2005scionbb) but with air bags your going to look at around $3000. and its going to require maintenance on your part. and being new to the modifying game like you say you are, you might stay away from this option untill you feel comfortable in your own workings.

4. coil overs. coil overs are a good options because they offer adjustable ride heights. say your going on a trip into unknown terrain. you could raise (manually by turning the coil up or down with a spanner wrench) or lower the suspension usually betweel 0.01 inched to sometimes 4 inches either up or down. coil overs are gonna set you about $800 for a good set, sometimes cheaper through people on here or deals at shops. and the struts are rebuildable so you wouldnt have to replace your whole system every few years.

but whatever you choose. make sure you post up some pics soon. well love fresh meat... i mean new people! :D hope this helps any.

edit:
personally i have Tanabe DF210 springs. they offer a drop of 2.2 in the front and 2.0 in the rear. im 100% satisfied with them and i believe their a great product. if you want to go with those they offer different springs as well.

Tanabe NF210 springs are designed for max comfort and will drop 1.7f and 1.2Rear
Tanabe also makes custom progressive rate springs for specific coilover setting, depending on how far you get into it. just an option!

·
Registered
224 Posts
df210's

Hey dude i have to say i have the df210's and the ride is not that bad at all.
I just took a trip to ac 300 miles there and back.
I flew 75 to 85 mph on stretched stock tires.
and my new 501's 15x8 good test for the stretch no problems at all.
I was alittle concerned about the stretches tires for such i long ride but all went fine!

·
Registered
309 Posts
i have the tein h techs and monroe shocks it was a slight improvement over the stock ride but still bone jarring. then after i put on all the frame bracing, it went from bone jarring to whiplash inducing but man it handles great :D

if i were to do it again i'd go straight to a set of coilovers probably the tein basics or progress i hear they're pretty comfy. wouldnt even bother with the lowering springs or monroe shocks.

i would just like to note the monroe shocks only help with mild bumps, take it from someone who drives in nyc all the time, it feels same as stock on bad roads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have heard the Eibach springs are a nice choice for comfort on the highway, then tighten up when needed. The progressive rate is supposed to be what makes then nice. I have some being delivered any day now and once I get them installed I can let you know. I just moved to Corona and I work in Irvine so I too have a bumpy commute. I will also be putting Koni yellows on all around.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'll agree that a less brutal shock is a must for a better ride - My box has Sensatracs, most bang for the buck in helping the ride.

Other than that there are one whole lot of opinions about different changes, but the one absolute rule beyond shock absorbers that actually absorb shocks (Doh!) is to not got to really low sidewalls on your tires. As soon as you start taking away the ability of the tire to flex around and over bumps, you get a harsher ride.

Also, larger diameter wheels with lower profile tires tend to be heavier than well selected standard size wheels with stock size or slightly taller (up to about .4 inch) tires. More weight in the wheel/tire combo means more unsprung weight for the suspension to control, and that means harsher ride, too.

As to all the assorted springs available, everyone who has 'em swears by the ones they have and swears AT the ones others have. :)

Search around ClubxB for some of the older topics - these things have all been discussed fairly thoroughly.

Other than that, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY! Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
By chance, have you checked the tire pressure yet? The tires on my RS 4.0 were over-inflated quite a bit from the dealership. Recommended tire pressure was 29 psi, but one tire was near 40 and the lowest was around 34. I lowered the pressure to about 30 all the way around and now the car doesn't feel so bumpy.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Some pretty good recommendations on here.

My personal opinion:

If you want to remain at stock height all you can really do is get a set of Monroe Sens-a-Trac shocks designed for the Toyota Echo. Part number 5897. This will help smooth out the bumps in the rear.

If you want a little better stance (lower) I highly recommend Tanabe DF210 springs. I honestly wouldn't waste money on any springs with less drop than 2". Anything less is hardly noticeable, and most of the springs with less drop do not offer as smooth a ride as the Tanabes! These in concert with the same Monroe shocks should have you setting nice and riding well.

If you want the ultimate in drop, look into air suspension. Though, since you are an admitted NOOB this might be a bit over your head. There is a lot of potential for problems, but most can be avoided by using quality parts and having an excellent install. You can get into a quality air suspension system for less than $2000. If you go all out with it you can easily spend upwards of $8000.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not interested in dropping the box, actually. That look doesn't suit me. Is there a utilitarian reason for dropping a vehicle that I'm not aware of?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Not interested in dropping the box, actually. That look doesn't suit me. Is there a utilitarian reason for dropping a vehicle that I'm not aware of?
For normal, sane driving in the usual city/highway environment there really isn't a utilitarian reason. Rather than "Form Follows Function" it is more a "Form Follows Fashion" mod. (Exception: If one drives their vehicle like they stole it, a properly modified and lowered suspension can appreciably help handling at the extremes.)

There are both positives and negatives to most mods, and I tend to not perform mods that reduce the utility of my box - but I don't grimace every time I approach a speed bump or curb, either. :D

I will admit that many folks claim a somewhat 'better' ride with aftermarket springs, but the few boxes I've been in that have been lowered do not ride better than mine does.

(Mine's the white one with the long line of other Scions behind it this past weekend: http://www.scionlife.com/gallery/?photo=42744

·
Registered
974 Posts
A smoother ride aint happening in a car as small as ours. One major thing you need to achieve a smooth ride is MASS!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.