Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Better shocks, better riding tires, NOT going to low profile tires...

·
Registered
352 Posts
yes. stockie wheels and tires are very smooth. or just get something with a more signifigant sidewall and not stiff

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well......I don't think it will ever ride like an Avalon. Why?
1st.... our cars are light, short wheel based vehicles. 2nd..Shocks will help "dampen" the ride but the only way to get a softer ride is softer springs. Spring rate is what determines the "stiffness" of a suspension more than shocks. As of now I think most aftermarket spring manufactures are focusing on the "performance" market for our car not the "luxury" aspect. So, try some new shocks but don't expect a huge improvment. Tires is the other aspect. stay away from "performance" tires you local tire dealer can steer you in the right direction.

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Absolutely right, Pitman, but the reason shocks help in this particular application is the OEM stock shocks are extremely stiff on compression whereas the Koni and Monroe logical replacements are less brutal on compression.

Since the replacements are roughly equivalant to the stock shocks in rebound, they still control wheel and body bounce just fine but without the stiff, juddery feel or the impacts when bumps are hit. Oddly enough, the handling does not deterioriate. :D

Even replacing JUST the rear shocks with the Monroe replacements for the Echo sedan (which are inexpensive and only take about half an hour to change out) will help the ride a lot. (It is also really easy to go BACK to the OEM shocks if you don't agree.)

IIRC, the Monroes are about $40 each... Cheap change to try. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
here's what you do, ride in a slammed civic for a couple months... xb will feel like a caddy..lol

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
i dont think i can handle my dad's Avalon. i almost fall asleep in it because its just too smooth for me! :eek:

Camry, on the other hand, i can handle because its stiffer than the Avalon...

·
Registered
827 Posts
I drove my avalon the other day for the first time since I got my box and it was wayyyy too smooth. I missed that go-cart handling too. Meh, the wife can keep it.

I did notice they used a really stiff strut on the box from the factory.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.