Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year, it seems Toyotas seem to be growing to meet the desire of americas taste for bigger more powerfull vehicles. With gas prices skyrocketing it seems that trend should reverse itself. The small pickup truck is almost non existant. The new tacoma is at least a medium size (it's actually bigger than the first series tundras). Toyota should re-introduce quality pick up trucks along the size of what they were putting out in the early 90's. I wonder what kinds of pick up trucks they are putting out in japan, they couldn't be theses monsters they have over here.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
The problem is, that people in the US don't want a small pick-up truck. They want to be able to carry all their damn furniture when they move houses in one trip, and cram 8 people into their full size cabs.

I'm 100% with you on this, because I liked the small trucks of their day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some research on those mini trucks. I'd love to see one in person. I think most of those are three cylinders and have a to speed of 50 to 60 mph which might be difficult to freeway. I wonder if they would pass smog here? I just think toyota should go back to the size pick up trucks they were putting out in the early 90's. With technology where it is today, they could make a great quality small 4 cylinder pick up truck with 4wd that would get 30 mpg.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
There's a guy out this way who has one street legal just like the white one, to a T. Ally and I were going home from her mom's one day, and I was like WTF is that thing!?? then I noticed a whole bunch of Japanese writing and a guy sitting on the right side; at that time I said, I want one too!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd love to take one for a spin. Don't know if you clicked on the pictures to enlarge but...the black one is sporting a mercedes badge on da grill!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
OPENDECK pick up truck........

bbpickup_01.jpg

dcp_1659.jpg

·
Registered
974 Posts
Problem with those tiny trucks is you have to sit OVER the front wheels to get any room in them and to make the chassis small enough (for the most part). In America your average, uninformed, carbuyer would frown on that assuming it's not a safe vehicle.

People hear so much about accidents that crash safety is a number once consern in America. Sadly all drivers would have to do is pay more attention behind the wheel instead of drinking a mocha, talking on a cell phone, reading the paper, shaving/putting on make-up, and doing hair. That alone would reduce accidents a million times over and then crash safety wouldn't be such a concern.

Once crash safety was a non-issue, Japan and Europe could easily meet US smog standards and import cars we normally wouldn't see. Or we could import them ourselves and simply make them meet emmisions to get them registered.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would love to have a small truck like that

I need to haul my 4wheeler and street bikes around time to time. I just don't want to pay the gas price of a USA truck. Give me a small engine truck in a small package.

also well said ctruss

If people would stop driving like they're in sports cars and pay attention, wrecks would go way down.

These cars are not dangerous, stupid people behind the wheel are dangerous!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've looked at a lot of Mini Truck pix and that mertz is definately the sexiest coolest looking of the bunch. Would l've to get more info on that!!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Now that mini truck is a little different and newer than what is normally seen. That one actually has the wheels slightly in front of the cabin and has a crush away front end. It is much better in the lines of safety, but I still think that it lacks the air bags.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.