Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you take off the silver plastic pieces? like on the steering wheel, around the head unit and A/C, and around the window/lock controls

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Not sure about the steering wheel, I've never done that part. The other pieces I have removed. I need to get the serial number off my new stereo (forgot to get before closing up the dash) I'll get some shots and post them for you in a little while...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
OK, here goes:

To remove the center trim piece from the dash of the xB, start by removing the three AC control knobs. Simply pull on them and they come right off. I advise turning them all to the full left position to make reinstallation that much easier.

After the screws have been removed and stored in a safe place, reach your fingers to the bottom of the center trim piece and pull forward. It will take some effort the first few times you do it. (some use a screwdriver with a towel over it to avoid scratches but I think the finger method works just fine)

Pull both sides of the trim panel out towards you then move up to the top of the center trim piece. You will find two tabs that hold the trim piece on. Push down and then pull up on the trim to remove it.

Once the trim piece is loose from the dash, there are three electrical connections to disconnect. One is the AC, one is the rear defroster and one is the lighting console for the dash lights. Squeeze on the plug tabs and pull the connectors out. Now your center trim piece is removed from the dash.

Installation is just the reverse of this process.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Now for the door panels.

Remove the two screws located in the door lock handle trim and the grab cup.

Once the screws are out, use your fingers to pull on the edge of the door panel starting in the lower right hand corner (driver side, passenger side is lower left) of the door. Pull towards yourself until you hear the "pop" of the plastic anchors that are holding the door panel on.

Continue to pull all the way around the door panel until all the plastic anchors are free.
This is an optional step: Remove the side mirror cover by pulling on it. There is one plastic anchor holding it on.

Once the door panel is free from the plastic anchors, lift and remove it from the door.

Inside you will find the power window switch. There are three screws holding it in place. Remove those three screws and the switch will come free from the door panel.

The rear doors are basically the same.

Remove the two screws from the door lock handle trim and the grab cup. Pull the edge of the door panel until all the plastic anchors have released.

Once the door panel has been freed and removed you will find the wiring harness for the power window switch.
If you wish to remove the switch, squeeze the two tabs together and the switch cover will lift out through the door panel.

Installation is the reverse of this process.

·
Registered
2004 Scion xB RS 1.0 #788
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have to do all of the second part just to paint the silver thing around the window controls?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
The silver pieces on the Steering Wheel are actually melted onto the Wheel. Do not try prying them off. You have to take the whole air bag assembly off and tape it up if you want to paint the pieces.

I did a Article on taking the Steering Wheel apart.
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f17/512-steering-wheel-install/

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
caden_stargate said:
You have to do all of the second part just to paint the silver thing around the window controls?
Unless you want to paint it in the car. The rear window switch can be taken out without removing the door panel but the fronts have to come out with the door panel. It's a lot easier than it looks. I went out this afternoon, did it, took pics, edited the pics, posted the pics, uploaded the pics and wrote the replies all within an hour or so. The panels are soooooo easy to take off.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
No wait the window plastic cover pieces come out with a flat head screwdriver stuck in at the top and lift! I took all my silver pieces out front and back in less then ten minutes I have never removed my door panel.

The ones in the back are even easier... its shaped rectangle just stick the screwdriver in the end closes to the door hinges... and pull upward until it clicks out.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Thanks for the write up and info, looks like I will be doing more paint projects this weekend!;)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
No wait the window plastic cover pieces come out with a flat head screwdriver stuck in at the top and lift! I took all my silver pieces out front and back in less then ten minutes I have never removed my door panel.

The ones in the back are even easier... its shaped rectangle just stick the screwdriver in the end closes to the door hinges... and pull upward until it clicks out.
I couldn't find a way to get that switch plate out without taking the door panel off. When I looked behind the panel I didn't see any tabs to push in. Do you remember how and where you pushed to get the front off? I know the rears can be done without removing the panels but for the life of me I couldn't figure out the front...:confused:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yes at the top say the end near the window lock ??? if you stick a flat head in there, and push, there is a METAL clip that will push in and then you just lift. Just make sure you're careful with the screwdriver against the CHEAP plastic.

When you took off the panel and you had to unscrew the piece didn't you notice a metal clip? Thats the one Im talking about. It comes out pretty easy IMO.

No need to remove the door panel. :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
Yes at the top say the end near the window lock ??? if you stick a flat head in there, and push, there is a METAL clip that will push in and then you just lift. Just make sure you're careful with the screwdriver against the CHEAP plastic.

When you took off the panel and you had to unscrew the piece didn't you notice a metal plastic clip? Thats the one Im talking about. It comes out pretty easy IMO.

No need to remove the door handle. :)
I didn't remove the switch from the door panel when I took it off. I just looked at it and took pics. When I tried it earlier with a screw driver I didn't feel anything giving way and I didn't want to fudge up the plastic so I took it off. I'll try it later today without taking off the panel. ****work smarter, not harder*****

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yeah you have to be careful but I did my husbands with NO problems no scuffs or anything you just have to push the screwdriver in there you will feel the clip. :)

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
Yeah you have to be careful but I did my husband with NO problems no scuffs or anything you just have to push the screwdriver in there you will feel the clip. :)

OK, I don't want to get booted off this site but read what you posted slowly and carefully. I'm glad to hear that your hubby survived. :eek:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
LOL very funny!!

With the things we say on off topic I shoulda been banned then!! LOL

:p
An "s" after the word husband would have made it less funny...and dirty! :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
The silver peices on the steering wheel are plastic welded so you ahve to pry them off carefully, unhook the battery and then remove the airbag from the steering wheel, 2 torx screws on teh back and 2 wires (UNHOOK THE BATTERY, YOU DONT WANT THIS TO POP IN YOUR FACE). I used a small flat screw driver, once your done painting you can glue the peices back on. You can see all the stuff at my site in my signature.

SurfCity Local good FAQ. These cars are teh easiest to take apart.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Skeeter said:
The silver peices on the steering wheel are plastic welded so you ahve to pry them off carefully, unhook the battery and then remove the airbag from the steering wheel, 2 torx screws on teh back and 2 wires (UNHOOK THE BATTERY, YOU DONT WANT THIS TO POP IN YOUR FACE). I used a small flat screw driver, once your done painting you can glue the peices back on. You can see all the stuff at my site in my signature.

SurfCity Local good FAQ. These cars are teh easiest to take apart.

Thanks Skeeter, your paint job looks awesome, nice quality. I saw the other peices on a different post here, sweet job!

I ordered a can of PW paint online to fix a scratch no the outside, I may try it on the inside as well. It's a perfect match and I think would look better than the Krylon white.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Thanks Surfcity, I had a few locals ask me about doing there interior but they didnt realize I would need the car for a while. Disassembly and reassembly takes time, not to mention prep and painting. And not to mention getting the paint mixed. The Hot Lava and Envy Green I got mixed are close but not exact.

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
Skeeter said:
The silver peices on the steering wheel are plastic welded so you ahve to pry them off carefully, unhook the battery and then remove the airbag from the steering wheel, 2 torx screws on teh back and 2 wires (UNHOOK THE BATTERY, YOU DONT WANT THIS TO POP IN YOUR FACE). I used a small flat screw driver, once your done painting you can glue the peices back on.

So, it can be done! Nice!! :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.