Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last month, I've noticed a squeak coming from my rear drivers side...this was a sudden noise, and hasn't ever been heard before.

Now, I see that my rear drivers side is sitting at least a .5" lower than the other side.

Common sense tells me I have a blown shock. Right?

btw I went to AutoZone to order some new ones, and our car isn't even in the computer for shocks and struts.

Any reccomendations on some rear replacements I can get quickly (IE not Koni, etc.)? I'm more of a performace oriented person.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Monroe 5870s. Whenever Ive blown a shock in a car, the ride gets really bumpy and makes noise. Never had it actually lower though. Get the Monroes though. Like 50-60 for the pair. (gettem through Napa).

Scotty

·
Registered
869 Posts
did you wrap your springs with the plastic coil wrap???......i had a 82 toyota tercel that had bad struts in the front....it will rilde super bouncy and will creak when you hit a bump....

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
If you have a large amount of weight unevenly distributed, one side can sit lower than the other. I am experiencing the same thing with my box right now on oem shocks and the trd springs. However, mine is on the driver's side, with the spare tire. It's considerably heavier than my amp is, and with my huge box in the back, I know it's under load. I don't have any squeaking of any sort, and the ride is as it always has been, since the day I got it.

Maybe you have the weight unevenly distributed as well? If you have springs, one of them could be 'bad'. However, replace the shocks anyway, their cheap and couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a large amount of weight unevenly distributed, one side can sit lower than the other. I am experiencing the same thing with my box right now on oem shocks and the trd springs. However, mine is on the driver's side, with the spare tire. It's considerably heavier than my amp is, and with my huge box in the back, I know it's under load. I don't have any squeaking of any sort, and the ride is as it always has been, since the day I got it.

Maybe you have the weight unevenly distributed as well? If you have springs, one of them could be 'bad'. However, replace the shocks anyway, their cheap and couldn't hurt.

It's been a sudden thing which has brought me to think it's due to a blown shock. all the weight is even, well except for me, the driver of course.

I'm on H&R race springs, no real sag, just this **** which has been bothering me.

The sound wrap...isn't an issue, as this is a new sound, I've had these springs in for about 5 months, and put the rubber crap on them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monroe 5870s. Whenever Ive blown a shock in a car, the ride gets really bumpy and makes noise. Never had it actually lower though. Get the Monroes though. Like 50-60 for the pair. (gettem through Napa).

Scotty

Cool, good to know a model # when ordering that.

yeah I've never seen things go lower when the shock is blown, but that was on different type of rear suspension setups, like independent, so who knows.

Maybe my springs are effecting that too...shorter?

·
Registered
361 Posts
yea, bad shocks wont effect ride height. a bad shock can make noise though. if you look at the shock. and it has, excessive dirt buid-up like wet looking. the shock is leaking oil and needs to be replaced. a ride height problem would lead me to check those springs.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered some Monroe 5870's, so if those don't help, then I'm hitting up H&R about getting new springs. I really hope it's not the springs, too much of a hassle sending stuff back, and who knows if they'd even take it back.

·
3,453 Posts
I would imagine they have some sort of warranty that comes packaged with the springs. If anything, as long as you had a certified tech install them, they should honor the warranty if there is one.

I may go back to the dealer and see what they say about my TRD's. I'd much rather have a cheap set of coilovers instead, though that's outta budget right now.

·
3,453 Posts
Update to my post: I pulled the sub-box out of the back, after a night of driving and the car sitting without the sub-box, it's raised about 1/4." When I walked to my car tonight, I was like, "Wow, the back did raise!"

Then again, the sub-box and subs probably weighed at least 80 pounds... At LEAST

·
Registered
974 Posts
Shocks don't affect ride height unless you get tose crappy air shocks.

If your shocks blow out your ride height will remain unchanged, your ride will be what is affected. When shocks are blown your wheels will bounce up and down rapidly when you hit bumps. Also the back end of your car will slowly kinda raise and lower as you drive.

Shocks just keep the springs under control, they have nothing to do with ride height. Look somewhere else if you have ride height problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.