Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in this mod. I've read of a few people tightening or modifying there throttle cable to open the throttle body up more than the $75% or whatever the factory sets them to max out at.

Could someone walk me through this mod or let me in on a few details.
I haven't looked to see what could be involved, could be easy. I just haven't looked. Thought I would ask first, kinda hard for me to find time to just mess around with it.

Thanks in advance.
Chris

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
Padanky said:
I'm interested in this mod. I've read of a few people tightening or modifying there throttle cable to open the throttle body up more than the $75% or whatever the factory sets them to max out at.

Could someone walk me through this mod or let me in on a few details.
I haven't looked to see what could be involved, could be easy. I just haven't looked. Thought I would ask first, kinda hard for me to find time to just mess around with it.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
hey chris, pm clockwork orange aka: dominic. he has done this to his xB awhile back.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
ask azzinthebox. I know he has done it.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll do that. If they don't see this before I get around to it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I called azzinthebox this morining and he said he would get to it.

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^ Good deal ^^

·
Registered
365 Posts
Borrowed from SL THE_DON, hope he doesn't mind but these were the best instructions I could find.

Ok kids, here we go. DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am no expert, just giving a helpful hand.

The throttle cable runs over the battery, then down the front of the engine bay, and finally into the throttle body. The place to make the adjustment can be found behind the grille, above the radiator...

Here's the top veiw

To make the adjustment, simply loosen the two nuts that hold down the cable, shown here:

After they are loose, move the nut on the left towards the throttle body. Then tighten the other nut, moving them together again. Only a few turns should do it. Once you have them where you want, tighten the two nuts down again.

REMEMBER, if you move them too far, you will cause the throttle to remain slightly open all of the time. You don't want that. Only remove the "granny slack" in the cable for better throttle response. If you first check the cable and it is NOT loose, there is no need for this adjustment.

After the adjustment, start the car and see that your idle is still normal. If not, your cable may be too tight, holding the throttle open.

Take it for a spin and see how it feels.

-THE DON

Sorry the pics didn't transfer with the copy.

Attachments

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That looks easy enough, thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
For those who have a turbo, if you do this mod, does it mean that you'll have more fuel going through the injectors, hence, requiring a re-tune?

·
Registered
20 Posts
tsb

there is a TSB for this, its for cars with too loose of a throttle cable. im not calling you guys tards, but if yr not as mechanically inclined as others on this board or just dont feel comphortable, a dealer can do it :D

but it is pretty simple,

·
Registered
126 Posts
What exactly will this do? What effect did it have on ur car? I know it has to do with throttle of course but what exactly ei. low end, top end, ect..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Lets not forget that it will allow more fresh air into the intake and more air means less CO and more CO2 and that equals a bigger bang. (probably not a whole lot more though)

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really easy, makes driving a lot easier with the slack gone.

·
Registered
762 Posts
im gonna do this when i get out of work...

anybody remember how to take the slack out of the clutch? i have to let the pedal like 2" off the floor before it does anything...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.