Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was thinking of going short shifter. anyone have any experience with them? installs or resaults? howabout some feedback.

Their lurking on ebay relatively inexpensive, which captures my attention of course and also brings forth the leary eye. why are they so cheap? I got my dual halo projectors from ebay. they were inexpensive and Im completely satisfied with them. How much can they differ from the TRD short shifter? Ive also seen this adjustable short shifter which i imagine has set screws for stick height which is completely unacceptable. i know thats EL CRAPO! so what about the others?

·
RS4 #303
4,900 Posts
hey

check out Perrin they make an adjustable height short shifter. and they make quality stuff. ;) e-bay ????some good stuff and bad stuff hard to tell if not a good description. some e-bay dual halos are good others found crap. do your halos have a good cut off. some from e-bay don't have any look just like reg light output. by cut-off i mean does it look like a square on top edge of light when it hits a wall should look like an old projector screen when film loop runs out? ;) good luck

·
-[bB SQUAd]-
606 Posts
i recommend that you steer away from trd's quickshifter. the throw is not much different than stock. i didnt like mine so i sold it 3 years ago.

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea my projectors are pretty much completely flat on top with fan tail bottoms. lemme see if i can get a pic of them....
here we go

ive noticed TRD parts arent far from stock. their real mild. allthough some may choose to go mild. i deffinately want a difference in my shifter throw. its so long for such a small car. i will look into the perrin one. thanks. any other info would be appreciated

·
Floating Around Somewhere
11,800 Posts
How about Randode? He always has some good scion stuff. :)

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i wrote him asking about something a while ago and he never responded so he hasnt been my first source. I will try again. i know hes probably a pretty busy guy. thanks Ray.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
I have the fabled RS Type short shifter from ebay. some of the best 40 bucks I spent

I got it from roku creations, or whatever their ebay store is.

I really like it, installed in a snap, came with the 'upgraded' steel mounts so you take a lot of the squish outta shifting. It's definitely short. Took a bit of getting used to because the stock shifter is loooooooooooooong, almost like driving a bus.....

Anyways, you now have one person who's given good feedback. Installed in under 20 minutes too!

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boobmox ... lol it was an error but im going to leave it

thats cool! ive seen allot of their things on ebay. i was going to get my headlights from them but i ordered from the first dual halo projector listing i saw, i was so excited. im glad to know im going to check them out. Ive also contacted randode and theres is one readily available and its local for me. I think i prefer that route. plus id rather give my money to a guy who works for it, not some turbo lister who makes all the money off ebay fees and shipping. plus from what i hear randode seems to be a good guy.
yay

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I actully tried to install the TRD short Shifter yesterday and had a difficult time. I got the assemble unbolted and everything but for the love of it.. I couldn't get the cables off the assemble. That was the only thing left to do..

The way it was designed didn't let enough room for my hands to get a screw driver in there to remove the clip holding the cable down. So with the sun setting i just decided to put everything back together. I think I need to tackle this another day with more time. I started around 3pm and couldn't get done by 4:30.

Was i doing something wrong??
What are others experience's in doing this???

·
-[bB SQUAd]-
606 Posts
hey kenny... this should only take you 30mins to an hour tops! it took me like 45 mins but i took a bunch of cig breaks.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
hey kenny... this should only take you 30mins to an hour tops! it took me like 45 mins but i took a bunch of cig breaks.
Wanna help me with mine!!!!????
I don't know what the hell I was doing wrong.. I mean i followed all the directions and everything...

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
DISCLAIMER: THIS AINT MINE! its from some guy from some other site from somewhere.

kenny, this is not a TRD shifter, but same concept. hope some of this helps.

Got around to installing this thing today. Over all job time should be less then 1 hour, for someone who knows how to use tools.

Disclamer: I am in know way responsible for any damage you do to your car.

Caution: When dealing with the retaining clips, dont use to much force. I launched the first clip all the way back into the cargo area when I first took it of, so the can spring at you.

Tools needed:

5/32" Socket, Ratchet & 6" extension along with a philips screw driver & a straight screw driver.

The Shifter before install:

Step one:

Using the Philipes Screw Driver, undo the bolt on the center console, on the back edge.

Step two:

Unscrew the shift knob.

Step three:

Using a little force on the front of the console, lift up. You are trying to pop these 2 parts out of there hole.

Step four:

Looking at the under side of the console (06 guys + fog light guys only) undo what connectors you might have, that plug into the center console.

Step five:

Using the 5/32 socket set up, undo the four bolts holding the shifter to the floor.

Step Six:

Pop off the wiring bundle from the shifter. Its mounted in 2 different places, you will be able to see what I mean when you get this far.

Step Seven:

Undo the retaining clips holding the 2 cables onto the shifter base ( dont damage these as you will need to reuse.

Step Eight:

Install the shifter in the reverse order of what you just did, to get your old one out. Now the real fun starts, getting the center mounted cable back onto the shift ball, takes a little work. You need to keep pushing on it, until it is all the way in the hole. Then reinstall the retaining clip. The first cable, is much easier to install, as it just slides onto the pivot point.
Once you get it all put together, mount the 4 bolt like things the RS-R shifter came with, to the under side of the shift base. Then just mount the thing with the 4 screws & put back together.

Some extra pics from the install.

The finished job.

You will need to figure out what you will do with the shift boot that the car comes with, the stock chrome looking ring, can not be reused. It is to small to fit onto the new shifter. I did a little work & used the stock white clip part, & wraped the shift boot around this. I then installed the shift knob down onto this set up & it does not look to bad.

First Impressions: I like the way the shifter feels. Took it for a spin right after the install. Much better now, better still a little to much side to side movement while in gear. Getting into second is no longer hard, & I find getting into reverse a little easier to.

Hope this helps some one out there & it was a great $85 spent.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Hey TG, I have a workaround for the shifter.

Using 2 people, or a vice to hold the shift boot in place, take a drill and shave the ring ever so slightly until it fits. That's what we did. If you shave it slightly and work with it, it'll fit very nice.

Or, you can use the rounded wood files and do it that way.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Undo the retaining clips holding the 2 cables onto the shifter base ( dont damage these as you will need to reuse.

This is what I could not get off the base of my stock shifter. I tried everything I can think of...

I've installed and done many thing to my car and other cars in my lifetime but this has been one that has puzzled me that something so simple and I can't get it off....

Kinda of Irratating.. I talked to Pat yesterday and hes going to help me out one of these weekends he has time so hopefully I can get my TRD Short Shifter in...

·
Registered Abuser
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you ThunderGod. i think alot of people were looking for that, and thank you everyone who put in your input. i appreciate it. im going to go ahead and buy the ROKU one off ebay, and refer back to your posting TG. Hopefully this will be added in the articles section.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the fabled RS Type short shifter from ebay. some of the best 40 bucks I spent

I got it from roku creations, or whatever their ebay store is.

I really like it, installed in a snap, came with the 'upgraded' steel mounts so you take a lot of the squish outta shifting. It's definitely short. Took a bit of getting used to because the stock shifter is loooooooooooooong, almost like driving a bus.....

Anyways, you now have one person who's given good feedback. Installed in under 20 minutes too!
Hi this is in regard to your order from roku creations. Where are they located? Do you have an address & phone number for them?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.