Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here is my new goodie that arrived today. I would have put it on, but got home late from school and it is raining again.

1 fujita.JPG
2 fujita.JPG
3 fujita.JPG
4 fujita.JPG

And what is with this stuff?
5 fujita.JPG

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And my daughter even likes it. (she really wanted the stickers, but I managed to distract her. She will probably remember tomorrow or at 2 am)
fujita 5.JPG

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here it is installed I will post a how to for everyone.

1 installed.JPG
2 installed.JPG
:)

I cant tell too much on the butt dyno. But I never get in it really anyway. The sound is really mean at 3000 to 4000 rpms

·
Registered
140 Posts
Getting the filter on mine was a bit of a pain. I just pushed it up from underneath the bumper

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No trouble. Kinda tight around some wires, but just used some extra care and bada bing bada boom.

·
Registered
679 Posts
are the gains noticeable with normal driving? i am never in the upper rpm ranges 4k+ RPM and all the dyno graphs i've seen only show gains in the higher 5-6k rpm range.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I would say with a short ram that the gains after 3000 are the most noticeable. I seems to make a bigger difference than I thought it would. I did just get through a trip today on the interstate, but was going much faster than normal due to trying to keep up with some others going to a show.

Yeah the sound is cool when you shut it off, but the mice under the hood kinda growl between 3 and 4 K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
is there a changen in power an milage or does it still matter the why you drive.the reason why i asked is i just got mine and love it but want to do some little things to start out with and i want realy good gas milage

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is there a changen in power an milage or does it still matter the why you drive.the reason why i asked is i just got mine and love it but want to do some little things to start out with and i want realy good gas milage
Well first of all welcome to the club. It is like no other place on the web for xB's. I haven't really found any change in the gas mileage and haven't had it on very long either. Yes a big factor is the way that you drive. If you want to go crazy with that part there is something called a Scan Gauge II that offers spectacular readings with up to the second gas mileage info. It can train you how to drive. Do a search for it and it should come up multiple times.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What short ram did you go with? I don't see a pic.
Went with the Fujita. One of the ones off of ebay. If you are patient you can pick it up for under $130 shipped.

·
Registered
73 Posts
anybody wanna tell me the difference between a cold air intake and a short ram ? it looks to be an extra piece of pipe and about 60$ more but are there any noticeable advantages to getting one over a short ram?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A cold air intake is a longer pipe that extends much lower in the bumper to get air from a colder place. I is much longer on the piping (to get rid of possible water) this makes in not as well for the low end gains, but is better in the high end because the air is colder.

Short ram is very short and can get the air to the engine quicker, but the filter is closer to the engine compartment making it a little warmer.

IMO the short ram is not pulling that much of warmer air, just because of where it is located on the xB (just below the headlight). That and price is why I went with what I did.

If you use the reach there is a really old thread on here about it. Or it maybe even time to resurrect this topic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
heres my deal, i am more worried about gains at highway speeds 3-4K rpms than i am whilest driving around the city....so in your opinion or anyones for that matter is it a better idea for me to go with a cold air or the short ram? i don't mind the 70$ i'm looking at adding to it if it does what i want. any help would rule....

ps i'm looking for people around richmond that have been doing work to the boxs its always nice to talk about it and see it in person

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.