Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read a bunch of postings on short ram intakes and I'm still not clear on the issue.

My question: Which intake improves overall horsepower the most? Everyone here loves the Fujita F5 short ram, but I haven't seen a dyno on it for the xB (fujita has a dyno for the cold air intake on the TC and it shows actually shows a decrease in hp at lower rpms). Injen has a dyno sheet on their SRI, and I haven't been able to find one for AEM.

Are there any other brands I should consider? And does anyone have any data to back up their claims about which SRI is the best? I personally think Butt Dyno equates to Placebo Dyno. Also, the F5 is CARB pending, which makes me reluctant to install it especially since my vehicle registration coming up.

Thanks guys,
Bradley (not to conufsed with the other Brad, who seems to be quite the legend here at club xB)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have to say first off.........DON'T BUY THE PERRIN SRI!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had it and it kills mpg. I am on my 3rd SRI for a manuel xB, and out of the 3, the F5 Fujita, which I have now, is by far thee best in performance gains and keeping the mpg relativly the same as stock. It also depends on whether you are running I/H/E combos and the likes. I am running the TRD axle back and stock header along with the F5. I guess with so many people swearing by it, you would think the choice is easier. It's not like you are expecting an extra 20 whp out of it, but if the serious research is needed to satisfy your hunger, I would go with either the Weapon R or F5 Fujita:D

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
All short rams are the same, except for the horrible Perrin.

Go with the YDR intake. It's just like the Injen IS2100, but it's something around $85

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went to the Weapon R website, and they apparently have two types of short ram intakes for the xB--the Secret Weapon ($245 msrp) and the Dragon ($152 msrp). Can anybody tell me whether it's worth it to dish out the extra hundred bucks for the secret weapon?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Misterflipper said:
Whats so bad about the Perrin SRI?
Ive heard nothign but good things up until now
Don't get me wrong when I say this but, if its for show, then it's perfect. If it's for performance, you need to look elsewhere. The location is horrible as far as heat soak into the filter. Plus, if you have an open grille, the you are consantly hoping it doesn't rain and kill ur engine. I had it on my car for 3 months and lost a serious amount of money in filling up the gas tank from it sucking the life out of it. I was maintaining 23-25 mpg w/ it on!! All the other intakes have maintained a steady 28-30 mpg. The rest of Perrins product is A+ for the xB though.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
btangonan said:
I've read a bunch of postings on short ram intakes and I'm still not clear on the issue.

My question: Which intake improves overall horsepower the most? Everyone here loves the Fujita F5 short ram, but I haven't seen a dyno on it for the xB (fujita has a dyno for the cold air intake on the TC and it shows actually shows a decrease in hp at lower rpms). Injen has a dyno sheet on their SRI, and I haven't been able to find one for AEM.

Are there any other brands I should consider? And does anyone have any data to back up their claims about which SRI is the best? I personally think Butt Dyno equates to Placebo Dyno. Also, the F5 is CARB pending, which makes me reluctant to install it especially since my vehicle registration coming up.

Thanks guys,
Bradley (not to conufsed with the other Brad, who seems to be quite the legend here at club xB)
I'm not a legend! I'm just the idiot that tried just about every mod for the xB! And yes, wasted a ton of money doing it! LOL!

Sorry I never dyno'd the F5 Fujita SRI, nor when I had the INJEN SRI, but my fat butt dyno tells me the F5 pulls harder. I had the INJEN SRI on for over two years. And the filter was cleaned a few months prior on the INJEN before the F5 was mounted, so now argument can be made about the dirty filter.

Next up is the F5 CAI, ONCE IT STOPS RAINING!!!!!!!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Oh, the F5 may or may not have more hp, but it definitely feels like more torque on the lower end!

·
Registered
29 Posts
alright why are you goin with a short ram instead of a cold air? cold air will provide more hp for ur box...AEM cold air should be your best bet for hp gain...

·
Registered
813 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
Don't get me wrong when I say this but, if its for show, then it's perfect. If it's for performance, you need to look elsewhere. The location is horrible as far as heat soak into the filter. Plus, if you have an open grille, the you are consantly hoping it doesn't rain and kill ur engine. I had it on my car for 3 months and lost a serious amount of money in filling up the gas tank from it sucking the life out of it. I was maintaining 23-25 mpg w/ it on!! All the other intakes have maintained a steady 28-30 mpg. The rest of Perrins product is A+ for the xB though.
the people i know who have the SRI from perrin have said the exact opposite of what you just stated...im not calling your information bad but im just confuised and dont know who to believe...owell..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HULK said:
alright why are you goin with a short ram instead of a cold air? cold air will provide more hp for ur box...AEM cold air should be your best bet for hp gain...
My understanding was that there is less of a chance of getting waterlocked with short ram than with cold air. Am I wrong? Are there any other major differences?

Potentially dumb question: Do cold air intakes offer an hp advantage on hot days? It seems to me that the air closer to the pavement would be hotter. Yes, I know that hot air rises, but being that the pavement is a continuous source of heat one would think that the air is less dense there on sufficiently sunny/hot days.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
HULK said:
It depends on what driving style you prefer.

The SRI is for the lower end for city style driving, and having the added torque for acceleration.

The CAI is for the upper end when need to pass on the freeway.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
btangonan said:
My understanding was that there is less of a chance of getting waterlocked with short ram than with cold air. Am I wrong? Are there any other major differences?

Potentially dumb question: Do cold air intakes offer an hp advantage on hot days? It seems to me that the air closer to the pavement would be hotter. Yes, I know that hot air rises, but being that the pavement is a continuous source of heat one would think that the air is less dense there on sufficiently sunny/hot days.
Brad,

I ran a poll on a few other sites. NO ONE has ever hydrolocked their engine w/ any intake.

In order to hydrolock, you pretty much have to have the xB sitting in at least 2 feet of water. That would mean there would be water inside the passenger compartment. Your xB would stall first from the exhaust, because the water around the exhaust tip would act like a plug.

·
Registered
352 Posts
squirrel said:
Brad,

I ran a poll on a few other sites. NO ONE has ever hydrolocked their engine w/ any intake.

In order to hydrolock, you pretty much have to have the xB sitting in at least 2 feet of water. That would mean there would be water inside the passenger compartment. Your xB would stall first from the exhaust, because the water around the exhaust tip would act like a plug.

owned.... =)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
im no expert on working on cars like brad, but my knowledge goes simple and is like this.

shorter the pipe thats in a area where it doesnt heat soak, and the minimal amt of bends if any, is most likely the best performing intake. response and functionality is as close to 100% as its gonna get.. the injen loopty loop cai is what i had on my car when i first got it..it wasn't a huge improvemtn for an intake but it was an improvement over stock. i just put in a fujita for shits and giggles today and i must say its a big difference in response.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
quadoptix said:
im no expert on working on cars like brad, but my knowledge goes simple and is like this.

shorter the pipe thats in a area where it doesnt heat soak, and the minimal amt of bends if any, is most likely the best performing intake. response and functionality is as close to 100% as its gonna get.. the injen loopty loop cai is what i had on my car when i first got it..it was a huge improvemtn for an intake but it was an improvement over stock. i just put in a fujita for shits and giggles today and i must say its a big difference in response.
And yet another reason why some of us are running the F5 Fujita intakes.

Mike knows more about the Scions than I do.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
But the Cold Air Fujita looks like it has more bends than the Injen Cold Air?

Or are you talking about the short ram?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.