Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fujita short air intake and was wondering if I ought to put the stock airbox set-up back together. I drive typically 4k miles plus a month and I don't want to have issue with too much cold air pushed in or if there is an issue of starting and running in cold weather, etc...

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
that wont be the issue. the issue i have found, is last year was a bad area for kearney in terms of bad snow storms, and my car acted as a windblock. little did i realize, that my car, facing to northwest, would recieve ALL the snow that blew in the engine bay. come to spring time, I had to take apart my front end, take off my intake and let it dry out in my room (while the MAF was taped closed) and wait for it all to thaw out. thats the only REAL issue. having too much cold air isnt really feable for this, as my car lasted in -10 below. i wouldnt worry if i were you.

scotty

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I run my SRI all year 'round. In downpours, and 120 degree heat, no problems, and I have a double vented hood.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I run my CAI all winter here in Iowa, and the only thing I've noticed is that it does take a little longer for the engine to warm up, no starting issues or anything though...

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have seen people have issues with CAI's up here in Minnesota, but the only people I have ever seen with problems are the people that drive irresponcibly.

Basically, if you have a CAI that locates the filter down in the front bumper you CAN POSSIBLY take in excessive amounts of moisture. The thing with that is if you drive even slightly cautiously and don't plow through HUGE snow banks it will never be an issue.

For example:

My last car was a 2001 VW GTI 1.8T and the CAI I installed the air filter so low in the bumper it was practically hanging out of the bottom of the bumper PLUS my car was dropped 3" and I never once had probems with moisture in my CAI.

Long story short. Don't drive like a maniac through the snow and you will be fine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just have noticed on my VWs that with driving so many miles a month, I tend to get a lot of salty residue on the filter and housing. I just hate the fact that it is so destructive in how it attacks stuff like the metal screen on the filter itself. I also am having issue with it running (Idle) rough and the "maint req" light flashes on start-up. Just wanted to see what everyone else is doing. I am worried about taking it to the dealer for a check on the light flashing and it has to do with the intake and they decide it will void warranty...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.