Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
This might sound like a stupid question but .. Everyone that gets out of my 3.0 gets a really strong shock when they touch any part of the car on the way out does anyone else have this problem. I am a little worried not only does it hurt, but I have to be so careful getting gas.One dealer said two stupid things to me when I asked him. It's either the color because it's soooo shocking ha ha ha or the xm not sure what to do :eek:

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
midori1 said:
Hey Guys,
This might sound like a stupid question but .. Everyone that gets out of my 3.0 gets a really strong shock when they touch any part of the car on the way out does anyone else have this problem. I am a little worried not only does it hurt, but I have to be so careful getting gas.One dealer said two stupid things to me when I asked him. It's either the color because it's soooo shocking ha ha ha or the xm not sure what to do :eek:

Happens to a lot of us, Try ScotchGuard.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
It's the material the seats are made out of, got seat covers in mine and no more shock!

·
Registered
9 Posts
yea

Do the big 3 mod it consits of grounding some differnt stuff here it is i run 4 gauge wire you ground from battery to chaisis altenator to chasis and power of altenator to postive battery i think thats right do a search on it i used to get shocked now i don't and it idles better shifts better better voltage

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boy if I have to do all that I think Scion should do it! it sounds like there's alot of us with the same problem,but alot of different answers as to how to fix it..

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
We've been getting shocked since we bought our first xB a year and a half ago. Sucks!

My new box shocked me the first time I drove it! Well the third time too when it started burning up!!!! :p

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Grab metal part of your car before you step out. Then let go once both feet are out on the ground. Works every time, for me. Static sprays and seat covers would probably help too.

·
Who am I to say this?
2,110 Posts
LuvmyxB said:
Well the third time too when it started burning up!!!! :p
Yeah, that would be a shock...lol Glad you can kinda smile about it now. ;)

·
Registered
552 Posts
boxd_up said:
Grab metal part of your car before you step out. Then let go once both feet are out on the ground. Works every time, for me. Static sprays and seat covers would probably help too.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have to do the same thing ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have seat covers and still get shocked. So far the only thing I hate about the box. And I'm not talking a little zap, I can see the spark in day light if I don't do the above steps.

Is that grounding kit worth the time to stop it, or will it help with what it does say it helps??

Or anyone have a different trick to try, so I can exit the box without a routine :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'm 2475 miles into my ride and haven't been shocked once. Thank God.

·
Registered
361 Posts
yea, I dont get shocked but my passengers do. I have the ground wire kit too. I noticed improvement in the electrical system. but still shocks people... maybe I'll get some seat covers soon.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Often times it is a static charge from what folks are wearing sliding across the vehicle's upholstry. This is why women are more often shocked than men - most synthitic fabrics are much more prone to build a charge than are the natural fibers (like cotton) - except for wool, which can build up a spledid charge. :)

A good way around that problem to use an antistatic spray on the upholstry and carpets about twice a year (or whenever folks start getting shocks again).

Another source of the ZZAAaaappp is the static charge that some tires can build up while flexing and rolling along the ground, expecially in dry weather, and wind friction on the painted car body in dry weather.

That sort of static charge is best combated with an "antistatic strap" under the car. An antistatic strap is a conductive rubber strap, usually about an inch wide and 1/8th inch thick with a metal washer or mounting bracket at one end. The strap is attached to a metal part of the body under the car, and the other end is cut off so that at rest there is an inch or two dragging on the ground. This drains the charge off the car instead of YOUR doing it (Zap!).

Also, some tire dressings are antistatic, and will help both in preventing static buildup from the tires and draining off what does inevitibly build up just from wind friction in dry air.

As additional protection, do hang onto a metal part of the vehicle as your foot first touches the ground. You still bleed off the charge through your body, but it is not as noticible or objectionable if it is not accompanied by a jumping blue spark.

Here's a pic of a and antistatic strap (grounding strap):

Tomas

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Tomas said:
Often times it is a static charge from what folks are wearing sliding across the vehicle's upholstry. This is why women are more often shocked than men - most synthitic fabrics are much more prone to build a charge than are the natural fibers (like cotton) - except for wool, which can build up a spledid charge. :)

A good way around that problem to use an antistatic spray on the upholstry and carpets about twice a year (or whenever folks start getting shocks again).

Another source of the ZZAAaaappp is the static charge that some tires can build up while flexing and rolling along the ground, expecially in dry weather, and wind friction on the painted car body in dry weather.

That sort of static charge is best combated with an "antistatic strap" under the car. An antistatic strap is a conductive rubber strap, usually about an inch wide and 1/8th inch thick with a metal washer or mounting bracket at one end. The strap is attached to a metal part of the body under the car, and the other end is cut off so that at rest there is an inch or two dragging on the ground. This drains the charge off the car instead of YOUR doing it (Zap!).

Also, some tire dressings are antistatic, and will help both in preventing static buildup from the tires and draining off what does inevitibly build up just from wind friction in dry air.

As additional protection, do hang onto a metal part of the vehicle as your foot first touches the ground. You still bleed off the charge through your body, but it is not as noticible or objectionable if it is not accompanied by a jumping blue spark.

Here's a pic of a and antistatic strap (grounding strap):

Tomas
Wow Tomas, going old-school on us there. To complete this mod we need some of these.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
The following was extracted from a thread posted on ScionLife by "engifiner 30/M" of Minneapolis, MN... http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131702&highlight=ground+fusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Posted: 7/29/06 11:53AM Post subject: the REAL truth about grounding kits... ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"100% percent useless. Period. People who spend money on them have themselves believing that it "improved" something, the same as the butt dyno makes you "feel" the gains from a CAI."

"Take it from someone who took the time to obtain a masters degree in the field of electronics.. has worked on cars my whole life and who has designed many programmable control systems. The vehicles system is designed for more variance in grounding than it will see, unless you have a bad ground. If a grounding kit helps ANYTHING (other than MAYBE the noise in a very high powered audio system), you had a bad ground to start with."

Having just completed a search/study on the subject to see if this was a mod (or fix) that I wanted on my xB, here are links to other items worth reading on the subject if you choose to proceed with such a gound wire fix/mod...

1) "Ground Wire Kit DIY/Install" [step-by-step instructions to install DYI kit]... http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29261&highlight=ground+fusion .

2) "Ground Fusion" [step-by-step instructions to install the commercial Ground Fusion kit]... http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f28/1160-ground-fusion/ .

3) The commercial kit [Ground Fusion] FAQs..http://groundfusion.com/faq.php.

BOTTOM LINE - Having read all of this material and not having your problem on my xB (and noting some of the other comments posted here), THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM COMMONLY SEEN ON xBs). Instead, I feel that you have a faulty ground. It should be removed, contact points cleaned, and reinstalled to get needed good ground.

BTW - Try printing out a copy of this thread and taking it to your Scion Dealer's Customer Service Coordinator (identified by name in the paperwork given to you at the time you purchased your xB) to see if they will check/correct the vehicle ground contacts FREE OF CHARGE UNDER YOUR WARRANTY.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Guess that guy has never rubbed a balloon on his head. :D

·
Registered
368 Posts
or could it be his head is a balloon? :D

This static charge just needs to get used to or do as Tomas suggested, get a ground strap. Our cars are made of a lot of plastic ( bumpers, grill) and plastic does create a big charge.

As for the grounding kits, that subject has been driven into the ground, most of the "experts" in electronics say not to put one on that they are useless, those that have them (mosou decide)t any way) say they did something to their cars.
only way to really decide is to put one on.( and by the way, the grounds on our cars aren't the best, they don't scrape or clean the connections when they build em sooooo... y

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.