Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so in the next two weeks I plan on purchasing some lowering springs (can't decide on tanabe df's, progress, or tien s-tech), and I have a few questions about the alignment. I read about people using different sized 'spacers' or 'shims' to change the camber(?) or angle of the wheel. I was wondering if I took the scion in for an alignment after installing the df's (that is my top choice for now, feel free to speak pros-cons) if they would be adding these spacers or shims, or should I order some and where from. I have 17x7 wheels btw (if that helps). Any input is good input. Thanks!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The spacers/shims are used to push the rear wheels out further (closer to the fenders) for a more flush fit to the car. They won't alter the camber. It sounds like your wheel package would benefit from a set of shims. The best shim for our xBs is the One Ton Garage 10mm shim. Depending on your wheel offset, you may want to use an additional 5mm spacer to bring the wheels out a little bit more. You can find generic 5mm spacers at most auto parts stores. The camber shims you may be referring to are also available through One Ton Garage. The camber shims are used mainly by the "VIP" crowd and probably wouldn't be ideal for your setup right now.

As far as alignment, I ran various wheel/tire combos with goldline coils and never got the car re-aligned. I never noticed any uneven tire wear so unless you may be ok without that alignment.

So, IMO, go for the df210s, one ton garage shims, and decide whether or not you want to run an additional 5mm spacer. The nice thing about the OTG shim is that you won't lose any thread on your wheel studs so the 5mm is perfectly safe to run, if you choose to.

Oh, and fyi, your stock struts and shocks will need to be replaced eventually (depending on your mileage) but others can help you with part #s when that day comes.

HAPPY MODDING!

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
yea Erik is on the money with this one.

DFs, some OTG shims, 5 mm spacers for rear. get some 5 mm spacers for front too then just to look a little better. theyre purely cosmetic, but i HIGHLY recommend it. no one likes sunken in ill-fitting rims.

as for shocks, do some Monroe 5870s. Theyre perfect for 2" drop and more (goes well with DFs then). Theyre only like 60 bucks for a pair. Cheap and well-functioning. They get the job done.

As for alignment, its recommended, but I never actually did it sinec theres no shop that has a low enough lift for me and its never been an issue. I would do it after a couple hundred miles though. Let the springs settle and set, and itll be good.

Scotty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I take the car to an alignment shop after the struts and springs are on, will if fix a camber problem (if any)? The box is sitting on stock suspension and it pulls to the right and has uneven tire ware (it's done this since I got it from the bank it was repo'ed from) so it needs an alignment anyways. Thanks for the link BTW.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the part number for the monroe struts in front and rear, and where can i get 'em? I called some of the stores around here and said the xb wasn't in the catalog. If I get the DF's, do I need to change the struts and shocks, or just the shocks?

·
Registered
19,896 Posts
halo8213 said:
What is the part number for the monroe struts in front and rear, and where can i get 'em? I called some of the stores around here and said the xb wasn't in the catalog. If I get the DF's, do I need to change the struts and shocks, or just the shocks?
you'll have to get the ones for the echo. they're about and inch shorter too so it'll be perfect for your lowered car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.