Scion xB Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night out of nowhere, my car started to shake when I would accelerate anywhere between 50-60 mph. Once I go below that or above that, the shaking stops. Anyone know what problem this is? It has me a little concerned.

Thanks for your input.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
You threw a weight - get you wheels rebalanced and it will all go away

·
Registered
466 Posts
What he said...

Well, except find the one that needs to be balanced. right front or left front.

You could also rotate your tires and pretend that it isn't there.

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else have any input on this just in case? I want to make sure i have my bases covered.

BTW - how big of a shaking is usually associated with a wheel that's off balance? Will the steering wheel typically shake that it rattles your watch?

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I'd have to go with what was stated above. Get your wheels balanced.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That is your problem. Yes it will shake your watch. If you know the sensation, you can also tell which wheel it is by the amount of vibration on a given side.

If you are worried about spending 10-20 bucks, rotate your tires and find out the easy way. In fact it is probably a good idea to rotate your tires anyways, I'm only guessing you haven't done it. Most people don't, so it is a pretty safe guess.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If it shakes all the time or when braking or something else it isn't tires. We all know it's a wheel balance problem because that occurs between 50-60 mph no matter what you are doing. You can accelerate, brake, just cruise and if your wheels are out of balance you will have a shake between 50-60 mph.

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
koo.....got the wheels balanced today and tdhe shaking has stopped for the most part. There is still a slight vibration, but it's not as bad as it was before. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Resonating Frequencies. What was said above.

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after driving the car on the freeway for about 15 minutes, the shaking began again. It seems like the shaking occurs more when the engine is warm. Looks like I'll have to bring it in to Toyota on Monday.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
They may not have gotten it as good as it was before. If you are running low profile tires the balance is not really good. Tires are never "round" that is why they must be balanced and done properly.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dude, some people rush through balancing like they were born to do it. I had to take my vehicle back 3 times before someone else stepped in and did it right.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If she still shakes try looking at your inner cv joint.
had a car that shook real bad at 50 to 55 mph then smoothed out at 65mph. turned out the inner cv joint was bad. found this out after $1000 worth of tire/balance,labor and towing the thing to a trusted shop.

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wondering.....how much did it cost you for the inner cv joint work? I think that may be the problem that I have with mine. Just wondering how much money I'm going to have to dump on this car in the next couple of days.

Thanks

·
bB Squad son!
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If she still shakes try looking at your inner cv joint.
had a car that shook real bad at 50 to 55 mph then smoothed out at 65mph. turned out the inner cv joint was bad. found this out after $1000 worth of tire/balance,labor and towing the thing to a trusted shop.
This is what was wrong with mine. Looks like the CV joint went dry and was loose. So they had to replace the whole axle, etc. So $700 later, the shaking has stopped. luckily we were able to fix it in time before something tragic happened. It just sucks that my warranty was void on this one since I modified the suspension. Oh well, it's a lesson learned.

Thanks for the advise frogbox. I think if I didn't hear of this one, I would of still been playing around with the alignment and balancing of tires. With how far I travel daily for work, this could of turned out really bad if I would of dislocated my axle.

·
RADIER HATER!!!
1,198 Posts
What the hell did they charge you $700 for ???? Axles are no more than $120 and labor should be no more than 1.5 hours...... I hope you had alot of other things done..............

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I dont see the connection between suspension and drive train. Someone help me out here. What was that Act called again so he can go shove it in their face?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.