Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I don't recall this ever being asked before...so I'll ask...but a few comments first...lol

For those of you with lowered vehicles; I know that we have had to learn a few new driving techniques....speed bumps, going up ramps/driveways.....angles, etc...etc...etc...

Though I always try to be as careful as possibel, there have been a few times that the front lip has taken a true beating, and most recently, going over a speed bump (it was a bit higher than our normal run of the mill speed bumps...) that BAM! I hit something underneath the car. This was witht he front wheels, and in the back it's the exhaust tip.

Because it doesn't happen that often, no biggy, but the last one made me cringe, sent chills up my spine, and made me yell out some profanities that I normally don't use.

And last I checked, there's some black oily stuff slowly dripping from somewhere.

anyways................when stuff like this happens, do you feel bad? Does it get to you? I think the same thing can be said with rim curbs and such, but man................OUCH! [email protected]@#@#%#[email protected]#[email protected]$#

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
I've scraped more times than I care to count. My frame rails have the coating scraped off of them and one of the plastic ends is gone. You should see my Cusco lower frame brace!

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
I can't even begin to describe the words that come out of my mouth when stuff like that happens for fear of turning this into a rated R channel. and depending on the severity, a rated X channel :p

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
and I'm not even that low, but when a sneaky driveway catches you or when a pothole pops up out of nowhere in the rain or something and you sink down in it with 18" wheels and a 35 series tire, ARGH! The whole things makes this SLAM sound ..... *shudder*

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
my xB isn't lowered yet, but I used to drive my dad's lowered chevy stepside, and when I'd scrape, I would get the chills, and say a few things. haha

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
The roads in NE are very hilly it seems like and with how low I am, I also no longer have the coating on my frame rails. My front lip underside is pretty scraped, but not as bad you'd think. I do cringe everytime I scrape frame rails, but the bumper doesnt shock me anymore with how often it happens.

I dont know if Im lower than Brad on a daily basis in terms of height, but my daily height leave my front lip between 2 7/8 and 3 3/8s from ground. My side skirts are right at 3.75 inches from ground. Kinda scary seeing roadkill, retreads, and even boxes in the road as I cant get over them. Speed bumps I have to find a way to go around because I cant clear any really.

Overall, no I dont like scraping, but when it comes to modifying, you gotta pay to play (until I pay more to get coilovers to raise me back up!!) :rofl:

Scott

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
I high center'd once while dropping my little brother off at the tint shop.

It really sucked, It hit pretty hard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thats what keeps me up nights. how low do i go with my new daily driver?
My days of clippin the road reflectors while cruzin are over. But.... i still like the stance of a lowerd vehicle. i'm sure a lowering kit will find its way into my XB!:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A BIG HUGE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL:p

I thought I was the only one!

Are the frame braces, the two steel things that run the length of the car? The have the notches that you put the jack on right?

My are mangled on one side and the undercoating is chipped.

I guess these kind of things are part of the LCLS

lowered car lifestyle!!!!

I guess I can live with the scraps to the underside and the lip......the thing that alwayss worries me is bent rims.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
btw....my front lip has scraped nearly to the point that the left front section, the part that sticks down (hope you guys and gals knopw what I'm talking about..lol) has lost it's angular shape and has been reshapened by the constant scrapes tot he asphalt from the driveway entrance at my office parking lot.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm not very low at all. Just the TRD drop at a bit over an inch from stock.

Still, I have scraped the front lip. I cried, then bought new parts.

Mine will probably never be low enough to warrant it, but I would love to do titanium drag blocks sometime...

-Alex

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
youthinasia said:
Not hardly! My front lip has some rash from "invisible" potholes, deeply sloped driveways, etc. And yes, like you all, I say some things I'm not very proud of when I scrape. No frame rail scrapes..... yet!

I would really like to be lower, but then the reality of daily driving kicks in!

·
lets play beer pong!
274 Posts
you wanna hear somthing narley i was taking my sister to school and that morning i became the most pissed ive ever been a indusrial pant truck lost a 5gal bucket of white sealer right in front of me and wham the bucket ended up hung in drivers side suspention just out of reaction ran it through the car wash drove across town bucket still under car to the dealership to get the buckt remove and had to pay for repairs out of my pocket -------grrrrrrrr---

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
now that suked! I feel for you man!

worst thing that happened to me...thus far:

Bought a used set of rims (hella expensive Japanese brand that begins with a V)....went to the guys house...wanted to do a switch out with my previous set...ok.........................while chnaging the wheels, one of the jack stands...front left...falls......the new wheel wasn't fully bolted down..........................

anyways, by the time I was done paying for repairs tothe damage, I coulda bought a brand new set of those rims with tires.......dumb.....IQ=10

·
Super Moderator
16,213 Posts
synapse said:
you wanna hear somthing narley i was taking my sister to school and that morning i became the most pissed ive ever been a indusrial pant truck lost a 5gal bucket of white sealer right in front of me and wham the bucket ended up hung in drivers side suspention just out of reaction ran it through the car wash drove across town bucket still under car to the dealership to get the buckt remove and had to pay for repairs out of my pocket -------grrrrrrrr---
youthinasia said:
now that suked! I feel for you man!

worst thing that happened to me...thus far:

Bought a used set of rims (hella expensive Japanese brand that begins with a V)....went to the guys house...wanted to do a switch out with my previous set...ok.........................while chnaging the wheels, one of the jack stands...front left...falls......the new wheel wasn't fully bolted down..........................

anyways, by the time I was done paying for repairs tothe damage, I coulda bought a brand new set of those rims with tires.......dumb.....IQ=10
Ouch! :mad: :mad: Haven't had anything like that happen yet! *Knocks on wood*

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My front and rears are an embarrassment!! Worse is my husband did most of the damage!! That coming from someone whos been lower in more cars with NO damage!! AUGH!!! :mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
im scared to get my box lowered, living in salt lake city. in every residential zone we have the stupid rain gutters at every intersection, its easy to scrape now days stock, and utah is obsessed with speed bumps... oh well, ill have to deal with it in a few months.... stupid engineers!

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
youthinasia said:
A BIG HUGE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL:p

Are the frame braces, the two steel things that run the length of the car? The have the notches that you put the jack on right?

My are mangled on one side and the undercoating is chipped.

I guess these kind of things are part of the LCLS

lowered car lifestyle!!!!

I guess I can live with the scraps to the underside and the lip......the thing that alwayss worries me is bent rims.
The frame rails are further in, and rectangular in shape.

I took off my Cusco frame brace temporarily. I'll take a pic and post it up.

·
Nor*Cal's Most Hated
3,841 Posts
Darn it, I'm looking for stock headlights too!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.