Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
TheOtherGuys
7,988 Posts
atleast 10, before anything major happens to. With proper maintenance.

Neon, Cavalier, domestic, yeah probly about 3 yrs.

·
I am Sofa King We Todd Ed
3,453 Posts
Yeah, that sounds a bit more feasible. Though, in Japan, the bB has been around since the late 90's. So I'm thinking it has a lot to do with the US market being picky SOB's about their vehicles having to change all the dang time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I do have a question, though, that sort of relates to this. Can anyone tell me how many of the xBs were made in 2004, 2005 and maybe a proposed number for 2006? It sure seems like there aren't really that many of them on the road. I see way more Elements in Dallas. Anybody know?

·
Egistered Ruser
1,227 Posts
I know they're as many Scions are there are flies in the IE area, but as soon as I get out towards Vegas, or Havisu you hardly ever see one. This area is just infested with them

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Dew said:
I know they're as many Scions are there are flies in the IE area, but as soon as I get out towards Vegas, or Havisu you hardly ever see one. This area is just infested with them

OMG, there are 3 xB's on my street alone and then 2 right around the corner. One is this kid who really wants to join teamScinergy, but his parents wont let him until he finishes HS ( he's 18 by the way;) ) , and the other is a house fool of idiots that think they are hard and stare me down everytime I drive past them:rolleyes: !!!! I think they are jsut jealous cuz mine looks better than their's. They do have a nice CRX in the driveway though. Loud as hell too :mad: Sounds like they put cards in the exhaust to make it sound the way it does though LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well, Dallas is a real car town, esp. a "new car" town, so I'm surpised that I don't see more. My wife and I just drove down to the gulf coast, through Austin, and we only saw four the whole way (about a thousand miles).

I do like their relative rareness.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Well, I don't have xB numbers for you, but I'll look.

Anyway, 3-year lifespan? Yes. That may be stretched to 4 for some models, but Scions WILL change style significantly far more often than any other car line ever.

-Alex

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks, Alex! I'd appreciate the info if you can find it.

I almost want them to discontinue the xB so I'll be one of the proud and the few.......but I like seeing the new ones, too, so I'm torn.

I've only had mine for six weeks, and I already want another one. I didn't get the stick shift cause my wife doesn't like to drive them, and we share cars at times......plus I'm getting old and lazy and hate 5 speeds, but I don't know......maybe I was wrong.....maybe I need one of those new green ones........dammit. I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The most recent numbers on this from Ward's Automotive are...
Factories in Japan are working overtime to satisfy demand. Scion sales this year may reach 140,000, up from 98,541 a year ago. Yet the three youth-oriented models are not expected to become high-volume sellers.

To retain exclusivity, Press expects annual Scion sales to peak at about 150,000.
IIRC the overall breakdown by model, over all 3 years, is about 20% xA, 40% xB, and 40%tC... (The mix last year was about 18% xA, 35% xB, and 47%tC...)

I'll try to find the detailed figures again...

(I firmly believe the LAST year for the xB will be 2006, though they MAY make it to mid-model-year 2007. The xB will be dropped and a new vehicle will move in - not necessarily even related to the xB at all.)

OK, I found some solid figures - the tC has jumped waaaay ahead, but the xB sales remain solid:

Scion reported best-ever December sales with 12,457 units sold. The Scion xB urban utility vehicle recorded a best-ever December with 4,341 units, up 13.4 percent, with year-end sales totaling 54,037, an increase of 15.3 percent over 2004. The tC sports coupe had a best-ever December of 5,724 units sold, with year-end sales reaching 74,415 units, an increase of 166.0 percent over 2004. The xA subcompact posted a best-ever December with 2,392 units sold, an increase of 19.6 percent; xA year-end sales reached 28,033 units, up 16.3 percent from last year.
That means the xB sold about 45,600 in 2004 and about 54,000 in 2005. I can't find projected 2006 sales broken down by model. Scion sold more cars then they thought they could build in 2005 - 156,485 units when their 'target' number was only 140,000.

Toyota wants the Scion marque to remain rather 'exclusive,' with fewer available overall than there are potential customers wanting them. That sort of 'restraint' is good to see, and works overall to the advantage not only of Toyota, but Scion owners, also. Notice how the used Scion prices are staying up - often costing as much or more than new? Uh-huh. :p

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Good find Tomas.

All I could find (before I was distracted by work, can you believe it?) were the final totals for 2004 and 2005.

2004 = 99,259 units
2005 = 156,485 units

That's all I got!

-Alex

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.