Scion xB Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has been posted on SE & ScionLife, but not sure if I posted it here. Please check your drivers & passenger doors, check these pictures out. And I know that people are saying that this is an "exclusive to Hawaii thing" just want to make sure that you all are aware of this problem. Please let me know if you guys find anything.
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Car Auto part

Automotive exterior Vehicle door Bumper Auto part Vehicle

Automotive exterior Wood

·
ClubxB's OG Member
22,258 Posts
wasnt there a thread about this? i could be wrong tho...

i just checked my last friday when i was washing my car. no rust, yet...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
NOT exclusive to Hawai'i or other salt air paradises - My lives-in-a-carport and otherwise very well cared for PW xB had rust in those door corners at just over 5000 miles... :(

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Tomas said:
NOT exclusive to Hawai'i or other salt air paradises - My lives-in-a-carport and otherwise very well cared for PW xB had rust in those door corners at just over 5000 miles... :(
Did you take it back to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The edges of that seam do not appera to be adequately protected from corrosion.

Did not take it to dealer as I'm more competent to care for the problem (minor surface rusting) than I feel they are at this point. (I have no trust left for this particular dealer - am looking for a new one for service work at this time.)

So, what have I done? I've treated the very light surface rust with a 'converting primer' (converts iron oxide - rust - to a phosphate to stop the oxidation, and coats the surfaces to prevent moisture incursion) and will keep a close eye on the area.

I don't expect additional problems.

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
i havn't checked mine yet, and even if there was rust, i prolly wont be able to tell since mine is hot lava :D lol
i could just here it now at the dealer, "sorry, since you modded your valve cap on your wheels, this rust wont be covered under "your" warranty. so sorry."
(of course, im being a bit sarcastic towards some dealers. sorry. ;) )

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
surfcitylocal said:
Did you take it back to the dealer?
yes I did, and they are going to fix it. not sure what they are going to do. probably grind it down and paint.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
ThunderGod said:
hey tomas, is there a special brand of 'converting primer' that you use?, or do make your own special formula?
thanks in advance :)
I have a pint of industrial grade stuff left from a project I did - oddly it just has federal part numbers (GSA/MIL) on it... :rolleyes:

Loctite makes one (comes as a spray, but can be sprayed into another small container and brushed on, which I prefer for this use) lemme see if I can come up with a link to that . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Here's one, Loctite 37557:
http://www.autotoolmart.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=10256&p_catid=196

Here's some info on this class of product:
http://www.alan.net/prgshoptips/rustconv.html

As to having a preference? Not really. The Loctite, Prestone, and others are all pretty much the same, it seems. Heck, I even think Sears has one. :)

(I used to use this stuff on chips on the hood of my 4x4s before I hit 'em with touch-up. Worked well. The kind I used for a lot of that was made by Loctite and came in sort of a 'magic marker' type applicator that was perfect for putting just enought into a chip.)

Tom

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought a new 1973 SR5 pickup that showed rust on every seam before it was 2yrs old. Toyotas responce: " your warranty only covers rust thru". When it was 3yrs and 2 mo. old it was rusted thru just about everywhere. Toyotas responce: "Your warranty has expired and if you decide to sue we can keep it in court longer than you'll live". I traded it in on a new 1976 Ford F150 (I got $400 trad in) and drove F150's until I bought a 2006 xB. I had hoped Toyota had learned something in those 33yrs but it seems they have'nt.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
BOXlover11 said:
It has to be high humidity:( Washington and Hawaii are definitly high humdity with massive salts in the air. They always say that if you live near the ocean, your paint will oxidize and/or rust through :confused:
Or it could be Pete drooling on your ride. Or maybe some pancake syrup. :rolleyes:

·
NEXT LEVEL MOTORING
3,810 Posts
Tomas said:
I have a pint of industrial grade stuff left from a project I did - oddly it just has federal part numbers (GSA/MIL) on it... :rolleyes:

Loctite makes one (comes as a spray, but can be sprayed into another small container and brushed on, which I prefer for this use) lemme see if I can come up with a link to that . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Here's one, Loctite 37557:
http://www.autotoolmart.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=10256&p_catid=196

Here's some info on this class of product:
http://www.alan.net/prgshoptips/rustconv.html

As to having a preference? Not really. The Loctite, Prestone, and others are all pretty much the same, it seems. Heck, I even think Sears has one. :)

(I used to use this stuff on chips on the hood of my 4x4s before I hit 'em with touch-up. Worked well. The kind I used for a lot of that was made by Loctite and came in sort of a 'magic marker' type applicator that was perfect for putting just enought into a chip.)

Tom
tomas, thanks for the great info. :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
JSYK, I checked mine out (and every one on the lot for that matter) when I saw this on SL. Mine has been a midwest/Iowa car the whole time and is amongst the oldest xBs in the state. I show no rust or anything like that on any of the doors (or anywhere else for that matter).

-Alex

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update!

i took it to the dealer and they fixed it. all covered under warranty w/loaner too. as you can see, they filled the seam.

·
Registered
219 Posts
rust

I was just at a Scion meet tonight which included about a dozen xBs. One owner here on Long Island noticed the problem on his car. We have 2 xBs and haven't noticed it yet bet ... stay tuned!

·
TEAM RED CUP
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bB626 said:
good news Craig!!!
the way i figure it is that the warranty is for 60 months with unlimited mileage so take it in now so at the very least i got paper work saying that my car had some rust. Well they fixed it for now.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
stephie was just showing me this on her car the other day!! she was like, "mary come over here now!! come look at this!!" and im like "what" and she says "theres rust on my car!!!" in the same spot yall are talking about. interesting...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.